+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Indian Passport Renewal from BLS Toronto

ShivaniRN

Sep 13, 2021
Hello guys, Need some help ... I am going to apply for my passport renewal in-person at BLS Scarborough .... just wanted to confirm the docs which need to be enclosed just so that i don't messup the opportunity
  1. Application Form (passportindia.gov.in)
  2. Annexure E
  3. old passport
  4. passport first an last pages - copy
  5. PR Card
  6. COPR
  7. Marriage certificate - No spousal name on the old passport
  8. Canada address proof
  9. photos - 2
Ques 1: Do we need to provide an Indian address proof? I have a different address on my passport and my parent dont live at that address anymore... Answer: Yes, Indian address proof is required if you are changing the address in the application
Ques 2: Also, I heard from one of my friends that BLS is asking for "Landing Paper" other than COPR. I landed in 2015 and I don't think they gave any landing paper. Answer: COPR is your landing paper only. They must have given you two copies of COPR initially, one that's left with you is your landing paper.

Please advise.

xmanprash

Star Member
Sep 9, 2020
Hi guys,

I applied for passport renewal on Aug 20, 2021 via in person appointment at BLS Toronto.
Since then, my application status on passport seva website is "Passport application is under review at Indian Embassy/Consulate.".

A file number was generate within the week of submitting the application and I've seen no movement since then.
As I am a PR in Canada, I was asked to put my Canadian address as passport to be printed and Indian address as other address.

My worry is that it has been almost 5 weeks and there is no movement and I have to travel to India for my wedding in November.
But I can't book tickets until I have the new passport number.

I've raise a query to Toronto High Commission via sampark and I am yet to hear back from them.
No one In India has contacted my parents for Police verification, and I haven't received any email from the Consulate reg any such initiation.

What can I do to check the status of my application ?

Thanks in advance for you help.
Same here... I applied on 1st Sep 2021 its been 5 weeks and status still shows "Passport application is under review at Indian Embassy/Consulate.".

Did you receive any update since then?

sheikh.khader

Oct 8, 2021
Hi Guys,
I have applied passports renewal for myself, my spouse and my 2 children in BLS Brampton through postal on Tatkaal on 27th of August 2021. But they have rejected the application quoting generic reason that changes cannot be done in Tatkaal. But, I had to struggle for a week to find out what could be the reason. Made several calls to BLS and emails to CGI Toronto but no resolution. So, I have assumed that the children's signature and appearance could be an issue, then I have sent the email to CGI Toronto and they said yes. Then, I have applied in Normal on 7th of September and the current status for myself and my spouse is that the passport is printed (the reason could be that we have got the PCC done for myself and my spouse recently). And for my children, it is still under review. I have sent couple of emails to CGI Toronto and waited until today and called BLS and they have mentioned that they don't have any control once it goes to consulate. And the person told that nowadays all the passports irrespective of location is getting printed in India and being delivered to the concerned consulate then goes to BLS and then dispatched to us. So, it is taking too much of time. Please find my timeline below:

Application to BLS postal for Tatkaal passport renewal : August 28, 2021
BLS received the applications : August 29, 2021
BLS updated the status in BLS website : August 30, 2021
BLS returned the Tatkaal application : September 4, 2021
Normal passport renewal application sent to BLS Brampton : September 7, 2021
BLS received the applications : September 8, 2021
BLS updated the status in BLS website : September 9, 2021
CGI received the application from BLS and updated the status to "application and fees received" : September 15, 2021
Status in CGI website changed to "under review" : September 22, 2021
Status changed to print initiated for myself : September 28, 2021, for my spouse : October 1, 2021
Police verification initiated for myself without the police station details on October 1, 2021 and for my spouse October 2, 2021
No police verification happened for myself and my spouse yet
Status changed to passport printed for myself : October 4, 2021, for my spouse : October 8, 2021
Police verification initiated for my children with the police station details on October 6, 2021
No verification done yet and status for my children is still in "under review" as of today

sheikh.khader

Oct 8, 2021
I am not sure, in my case, I had to give Canadian address for printed address as I am on Work Permit and I have recently got PCC done. They have initiated an email for police verification, but no verification yet and my status changed to passport printed.

TrueIndian

Star Member
May 30, 2015
For those who are wondering why the status is "Passport application is under review at Indian Embassy/Consulate" for too long. Sometimes there might be some updates on the application but the status on passport.gov.in website doesn't reflect it.

To know the exact status of the application there is a workaround. Please follow the steps below

These steps might be difficult to follow for some but it might help some web developers/software engineers out there who might find it a little easier to follow than others.

1. Go to https://portal4.passportindia.gov.in/Online/index.html
2. Right click on the page and click on inspect from the menu
3. There will be browser related developer tools which will open adjust the height of developer tools so that you will be able to click on Track status dialog
4. Click on the Track status dialog and fill out the information regarding your application and click Track application status button
5. Now in the browser developer tools you can see network tab which is basically 4th option in chrome click on it
6. Now you can see a service call that is made with name trackStatusForFileNoNew click on it and this service returns a response which contains all the status updates on your application
7. If you scroll through the service response you will be able to see statusMap -> StatusId object when you click on it it will again return a list of all updates on your application and who performed that action and on what date it is updated.

I applied in BLS Ottawa and my status updates gave all the information. I even knew my passport number and the tracking number of the courier for the passport that has been printed in Delhi and dispatched to Ottawa. Using that tracking number I was able to find out that they have dispatched it through DHL Express and was able to track when it is delivered to HCI Ottawa.

I used aftership to know the name of courier through which my passport is dispatched from new delhi and to follow the status updates of delivery https://www.aftership.com/track

Once it is delivered I called the HCI Ottawa and requested them if I can pick up my passport in person as I had my flight in two days after it was delivered to HCI. Luckily I got my passport just in time before my travel date. I know it is stupid to book the tickets in advance but I didn't realize that the passport renewal process is so slow especially in BLS Ottawa.

Normally HCI dispatches the passport to BLS Ottawa after a week once they receive it and BLS Ottawa takes 1 or 2 days to dispatch it to applicant via Purolator.

My status updates on backend:

EVENT_DESCEMP_ACTIONSTATUS_DESC
1Passport Number XXXXXX dispatched through International Post/Courier with tracking no XXXXXXXX to issuing Mission/Post.Passport sent by CPPF to Issuing Mission/PostPassport sent by CPPF to Issuing RPO
2QC Accepted and Dispatch Initiated: Passport No. XXXXXXXX of type Ordinary-NormalDispatch InitiatedDispatch Initiated
3Printed: Passport No. XXXXXXXX of type Ordinary-NormalPrintedPrinted
4nullPrint InitiatedPrint Initiated
5PVR for XXXXXXXXX-PPF-CA is Approved and Submitted as Clear by PoliceApproved and Submitted as Clear by PoliceSubmitted
6PV InitiatedPV Initiated
7Granting Status Set as 'Clear'ClearApplication Granted on pre police verification basis
8Sent To GoGranting Initiated
9nullApplication Form UpdatedSubmitted
10Grant On Hold Send to EOGrant On Hold Send to EOGrant On Hold Send to CSE
11Sent To GoGranting Initiated
12nullApplication Form SubmittedSubmitted

Last edited:

ajit90

Star Member
Sep 4, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-04-2015
AOR Received.
29-05-2015
Med's Done....
passed -10.06.2015
For those who are wondering why the status is "Passport application is under review at Indian Embassy/Consulate" for too long. Sometimes there might be some updates on the application but the status on passport.gov.in website doesn't reflect it.

To know the exact status of the application there is a workaround. Please follow the steps below

These steps might be difficult to follow for some but it might help some web developers/software engineers out there who might find it a little easier to follow than others.

1. Go to https://portal4.passportindia.gov.in/Online/index.html
2. Right click on the page and click on inspect from the menu
3. There will be browser related developer tools which will open adjust the height of developer tools so that you will be able to click on Track status dialog
4. Click on the Track status dialog and fill out the information regarding your application and click Track application status button
5. Now in the browser developer tools you can see network tab which is basically 4th option in chrome click on it
6. Now you can see a service call that is made with name trackStatusForFileNoNew click on it and this service returns a response which contains all the status updates on your application
7. If you scroll through the service response you will be able to see statusMap -> StatusId object when you click on it it will again return a list of all updates on your application and who performed that action and on what date it is updated.

I applied in BLS Ottawa and my status updates gave all the information. I even knew my passport number and the tracking number of the courier for the passport that has been printed in Delhi and dispatched to Ottawa. Using that tracking number I was able to find out that they have dispatched it through DHL Express and was able to track when it is delivered to HCI Ottawa.

I used aftership to know the name of courier through which my passport is dispatched from new delhi and to follow the status updates of delivery https://www.aftership.com/track

Once it is delivered I called the HCI Ottawa and requested them if I can pick up my passport in person as I had my flight in two days after it was delivered to HCI. Luckily I got my passport just in time before my travel date. I know it is stupid to book the tickets in advance but I didn't realize that the passport renewal process is so slow especially in BLS Ottawa.

Normally HCI dispatches the passport to BLS Ottawa after a week once they receive it and BLS Ottawa takes 1 or 2 days to dispatch it to applicant via Purolator.

My status updates on backend:

EVENT_DESCEMP_ACTIONSTATUS_DESC
1Passport Number XXXXXX dispatched through International Post/Courier with tracking no XXXXXXXX to issuing Mission/Post.Passport sent by CPPF to Issuing Mission/PostPassport sent by CPPF to Issuing RPO
2QC Accepted and Dispatch Initiated: Passport No. XXXXXXXX of type Ordinary-NormalDispatch InitiatedDispatch Initiated
3Printed: Passport No. XXXXXXXX of type Ordinary-NormalPrintedPrinted
4nullPrint InitiatedPrint Initiated
5PVR for XXXXXXXXX-PPF-CA is Approved and Submitted as Clear by PoliceApproved and Submitted as Clear by PoliceSubmitted
6PV InitiatedPV Initiated
7Granting Status Set as 'Clear'ClearApplication Granted on pre police verification basis
8Sent To GoGranting Initiated
9nullApplication Form UpdatedSubmitted
10Grant On Hold Send to EOGrant On Hold Send to EOGrant On Hold Send to CSE
11Sent To GoGranting Initiated
12nullApplication Form SubmittedSubmitted
Thanks for sharing this info

luv908

Star Member
Jul 26, 2013
Same here... I applied on 1st Sep 2021 its been 5 weeks and status still shows "Passport application is under review at Indian Embassy/Consulate.".

Did you receive any update since then?
Nope. I visited the consulate this Friday, after numerous emails, they allowed me to attend the open house.

My application was sent to EO in Delhi but they handn’t heard back fo over 3 weeks.

The consulate is really backed up as passports are not the only thing they process. Its just an added service they provide. I was told that there’s no timeline they can give me as to when the passport will be issued.

Since I have to travel on India very soon (I cannot avoid this travel) and will be there for 6 weeks (atleast), i asked them for my passport back and withdrew the application.

I’ll get it renewed at the passport seva kendra in India while I’m there as my passport is valid till March 2022. The consulate suggested that it’ll probably be a better option for me as in India they can process application at a much faster pace and in case more info is required, they can quickly have you bring them documents & provide any clarifications.

PS:
If you don’t have to travel anytime soon, relax, the consulate is backed up, processing times in certain cases may be longer than usual.
If you do need to travel in the next 3-4 weeks and application is still “Granting Initiated”, I’d suggest contacting the consulate by emailing them daily.

Reactions: ShivaniRN and MAKD

MAKD

Sep 24, 2021
Hi, I had also applied for tatkal, my application was rejected and I was in the same boat. So I asked the BLS representative and they mentioned that it would not be right as you cannot report false information. Moreover, if you will try to add your spouse name later, they will get to know that you reported false information as marriage certificate would have been issued at a prior date. Let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help.
So what did you do eventually? applied in normal and how long is it taking these days if you are applying in normal?? 6 weeks to get the passport in hand?

adi92

Star Member
Jul 19, 2018
Hi All,

I submitted a walk-in passport renewal app at BLS Toronto on Sept 30. It has been stuck on the status application along with fee details have been received for over 10 days now. Do I need to be concerned? Anyone who applied recently in end of September, can you comment on your timeline and current status?

Kumar111

Dec 18, 2019
Hello Guys, have a question ... I am filling the passport renewal online on passportindia.gov ... as per the form, the address printed on the passport would be Canadian address, my question here is ...
Do I need to select the checkbox option "Change In Existing Personal Particulars" and select the "Address" checkbox ... or is it not required?
or
Selecting the option "Validity Expired Within 3 Years/Due To Expire" should suffice?
Please advise.

RT8

Star Member
Jan 30, 2020
4. I am putting in my Canadian address as my "passport printable address" because it only makes sense (it's where I live). But the website is asking me if I am eligible to put in a foreign address. How do I check that I am? Note - I am providing a second Indian Address for the sake of police check.
Answer - As a PR one is eligible to put in Canadian address

@Wacky1.nash
Quick question - I see the "passport re issue " checklist states to put Canadian address under printable address if you're a PR but is printing the Canadian address on the passport compulsory ?

Also, If I do submit my Indian address under "other address" what cell phone number do I give? A parents , are they called ? is a police verification done (the Indian address I'd submit would be the same as the one currently printed on my passport)?

Last edited: