+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Indian Driving Licence

gunadinesh

Apr 27, 2019
Thanks a lot for your reply. I just have a small doubt though:

Actually what I see online is: All foreign license holders can give away G1 drive test directly after clearing written test. But for writing G2 drive test, I have to complete 1 full year of driving experience. For Eg: If my driving experience in India is 8 months, I have to wait for 4 months after getting G2 to give G2 drive test. Any thoughts on this ?

Link for your reference and inputs: https://www.ontario.ca/page/exchange-out-province-drivers-licence

Also, I have already given written test and got G1 license, Can I still show my Indian DL and extract and give G1 drive test right away to get G2?

TIA

21singh

Jun 12, 2017
TORONTO
Category........
NOC Code......
VISA ISSUED...
14-04-2018
LANDED..........
27-06-2018
Hey,

For G2 you have to wait for 8 months to 12 months.
Prior experience would be counted only if you get it on paper before giving G1.

Since you have only 8 months experience in India, it would not be of any benefit to you.
I have seen a person who was giving G1 with me, he has 2 years of Driving experience in India (along with proper Driving Extract), still officers did not accepted it as experience.

Recommendation: Try taking the classes from a proper licensed driving school.

Good Luck

Jagvir_pannu

Sep 4, 2020
Hello,

i have an indian license with 2 and half years of experience and also i have an DL extract will i be able to skip g2 and directly give g road test after passing my g1 written test?

21singh

Jun 12, 2017
TORONTO
Category........
NOC Code......
VISA ISSUED...
14-04-2018
LANDED..........
27-06-2018
Hello,

i have an indian license with 2 and half years of experience and also i have an DL extract will i be able to skip g2 and directly give g road test after passing my g1 written test?
You will able to, if they accept that experience.
Per me they shall, as it is more than 2 years of driving experience.

Good Luck

Dhaval41194

Mar 26, 2021
Hii folks....
I have a indian driving licence since 2012 but it is without chip.
Because of without chip license i canot find my record online, but i got my driving extract without any problem.
Is this condition cause me problem for canadian driving license?

Thanks all

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
Hii folks....
I have a indian driving licence since 2012 but it is without chip.
Because of without chip license i canot find my record online, but i got my driving extract without any problem.
Is this condition cause me problem for canadian driving license?

Thanks all
No

BhavaniShankar

Star Member
Dec 7, 2017
Hi Guys,

I got my 4 wheeler license during 2009 in Tamilnadu. Currently I am in Ottawa and don't have car license. How can I leverage the India car license to get G2 license in Ontario? Do I need to take G1 test (knowledge test) again , wait for X months and then go for G2 Test (Road Test)?

21singh

Jun 12, 2017
TORONTO
Category........
NOC Code......
VISA ISSUED...
14-04-2018
LANDED..........
27-06-2018
Hi Guys,

I got my 4 wheeler license during 2009 in Tamilnadu. Currently I am in Ottawa and don't have car license. How can I leverage the India car license to get G2 license in Ontario? Do I need to take G1 test (knowledge test) again , wait for X months and then go for G2 Test (Road Test)?
Hi,
You need to get the Extract from the RTO (from India) along with the Original Driving License.
If you have both original DL & extract with you, you can skip G2 & apply for G directly.

1. If you have Indian DL & Extract: You can apply for G. If passed then you can get G license, else you need to apply for G2.
2. In case you can not get the DL and extract: You have to go through G2 & G.

Good Luck

Reactions: Rohit Chhabra

BhavaniShankar

Star Member
Dec 7, 2017
Hi,
You need to get the Extract from the RTO (from India) along with the Original Driving License.
If you have both original DL & extract with you, you can skip G2 & apply for G directly.

1. If you have Indian DL & Extract: You can apply for G. If passed then you can get G license, else you need to apply for G2.

Good Luck
Hi ,

Thanks for the reply. I am staying in Canada since 2019 . Are you saying that if I have DL-extract from RTO-India and India DL, I can apply for G directly. Do I have to anything else to apply for G? If don't get the DL, can I still apply for G2 directly skipping the G1? Kindly confirm

21singh

Jun 12, 2017
TORONTO
Category........
NOC Code......
VISA ISSUED...
14-04-2018
LANDED..........
27-06-2018
Hi ,

Thanks for the reply. I am staying in Canada since 2019 . Are you saying that if I have DL-extract from RTO-India and India DL, I can apply for G directly. Do I have to anything else to apply for G? If don't get the DL, can I still apply for G2 directly skipping the G1? Kindly confirm
Hi,

That is right, if you have the original Indian DL and DL Extract, then while appearing for G1 (Written test) you can show them both (Indian DL and DL Extract) to skip G2.

Good Luck

Bicky123

Dec 6, 2021
Hell i have Quebec full licence after gain my india experience and class 5 road test but now i change my province and come to Ontario after 8 months but i get g2 licence but problem is they add only Quebec experience but not my india experience and i have to wait for more 14 months can any one help me that how i add india experience so i go for g road test

Dec 29, 2022
Hi there
My husband has India experience from 2017 and licensed is valid till2037 we have DL extract as well very first they tell us picture is not clear because license is old and then they told if you remove that ilemination we remove it and all numbers were gone than they told us to get a new one from India now we get new one and now they are saying to us it’s not meeting the requirements of our ministry. What we can do please tell me it would be really helpful. We visit Simcoe Mississauga Brampton and Brantford.

Rohit Chhabra

Star Member
Jul 20, 2018
Hi,

Good Luck
Thank you for providing such valuable information on this thread. I hope it's still relevant and there aren't any rule changes since the time you posted this message.
I plan to land in Ontario by mid of this year and will get my DL extract and Indian DL. How about international driving permit? Is it only useful for temporary duration and can it be used till full processing of G class license?

Thanks!

Mihir Joshi

Mar 13, 2023
Category........
WP
It would help you to skip the G2 test.
You need to present your Driving License (with photo) and Driving Extract when you appear for G1 (written test).
It will save 8 months of time for you, it take from G1 to G2 and few more months from G2 to G.

Good Luck
I got a bit lost here.
Do you mean I can directly go for G licence? G1 & G2 both are skipped?

I have 4+ years of indian driving experience on both Car & Motorcycle.

Will DL extract be considered for M licence also?