Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Otatwa
NOC Code......
VISA ISSUED...
08-05-2019
Hi All. Can you help me with the below?

1. Can I drive in Ontario with an Indian Driving Licence which is not more than 2 years old. I also do not have the DL extract. If yes, for how many months?
  2. How much time it takes to get a canadian G1 licence.

Reactions: foodie69

21singh

Jun 12, 2017
TORONTO
Category........
NOC Code......
VISA ISSUED...
14-04-2018
LANDED..........
27-06-2018
Hi All. Can you help me with the below?

1. Can I drive in Ontario with an Indian Driving Licence which is not more than 2 years old. I also do not have the DL extract. If yes, for how many months?
  2. How much time it takes to get a canadian G1 licence.
Hi,

1. You can not drive with Indian License, however you may opt to get an international driving license from India, if you are expected to stay for more than 3 months. Get details on following: https://www.ontario.ca/page/drive-ontario-visitors
  2. You can get G1 even on the very day of your arrival. But with G1 you can not drive the vehicle. And for G1 license to deliver to your doorstep probably takes a couple of weeks.

The actual process is G1 test (written test) -> G2 (driving, sort of learning what it is in India) -> G (full license).
Once you get G you can drive in city & on highway, while with G2 you can not drive on highway (of course you can drive in City).

If you have good experience in India, you can get an extract from the RTO by paying nominal fees (generally 50 Rs).
You can get your Driving License(with photo) and get a Driving Extract from the RTO.
It would help you to skip the G2 test.
You need to present your Driving License (with photo) and Driving Extract when you appear for G1 (written test).
It will save 8 months of time for you, it take from G1 to G2 and few more months from G2 to G.

Good Luck

anuch2588

Star Member
Nov 15, 2017
Hi,

1. You can not drive with Indian License, however you may opt to get an international driving license from India, if you are expected to stay for more than 3 months. Get details on following: https://www.ontario.ca/page/drive-ontario-visitors
  2. You can get G1 even on the very day of your arrival. But with G1 you can not drive the vehicle. And for G1 license to deliver to your doorstep probably takes a couple of weeks.

The actual process is G1 test (written test) -> G2 (driving, sort of learning what it is in India) -> G (full license).
Once you get G you can drive in city & on highway, while with G2 you can not drive on highway (of course you can drive in City).

If you have good experience in India, you can get an extract from the RTO by paying nominal fees (generally 50 Rs).
You can get your Driving License(with photo) and get a Driving Extract from the RTO.
It would help you to skip the G2 test.
You need to present your Driving License (with photo) and Driving Extract when you appear for G1 (written test).
It will save 8 months of time for you, it take from G1 to G2 and few more months from G2 to G.

Good Luck
Hi ,
Thanks for the detailed info.

Could you please let me know if 2 Wheeler licence from India will work and can I apply for g2 immediately after g1 with that licence and driving extracy

21singh

Jun 12, 2017
TORONTO
Category........
NOC Code......
VISA ISSUED...
14-04-2018
LANDED..........
27-06-2018
Hi,

No, it has to be a 4 wheeler license.
Once you receive the G1, you can apply for G if you have the original Driver's License and original extract from India.

Good Luck

mahi2020

Oct 7, 2016
Hi ,
Thanks for the detailed info.

Could you please let me know if 2 Wheeler licence from India will work and can I apply for g2 immediately after g1 with that licence and driving extracy
2 wheeler will work if you dont get caught while driving.

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
2 wheeler license would get you M (Motorcycle) license and not the G (Car). :)
No it doesn't. There is no 'exchange' for motorbike ratings for India (or the UK!) for Ontario. You need to take all the tests all over again (I know, I have had to do this despite having a full UK motorbike licence for 10 years).

Motorbike licence much the same principle as car.

M1 = Eye and written test, lasts 90 days and do restrictive you cant really ride - a stepping stone to take the M1 exit training and test
M2 = Take training with formal school for a weekend on a closed circuit (cones and stuff). Do test at end - this rating good for 5 years
M = Take road test once you have M2 for at least 22 months (18 months if you do more formal training with accredited organisation). Then have full, unrestricted licence.

andygill11

May 5, 2018
After you surrender your orginal Indian D/L to the MTO, is it possible to get it back from the issuing RTO in India when you visit India??

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
You don't surrender your home country license unless you are exchanging it for a one in return (ex US license). For Indian license, you are claiming driving credits but still have to go through driving test to prove your understanding. In such cases, you will retain your Indian license.

In short, MTO will return your Indian license to you immediately after verifying it's details against abstract. So you are free to use it thereafter.

andygill11

May 5, 2018
You don't surrender your home country license unless you are exchanging it for a one in return (ex US license). For Indian license, you are claiming driving credits but still have to go through driving test to prove your understanding. In such cases, you will retain your Indian license.

In short, MTO will return your Indian license to you immediately after verifying it's details against abstract. So you are free to use it thereafter.
Thank you so much for your answer. Is this valid for Alberta as well?
(https://www.alberta.ca/exchange-non-alberta-licences.aspx#toc-3)

Jan 20, 2020
Hello
I have a question that I have Indian license with 2 years experience. Should I need experience letter as well for G test? Like can I do G test (highway test) right after G1(written test) with 2 years experience or not? If not then what is my requirements. Thank You

21singh

Jun 12, 2017
TORONTO
Category........
NOC Code......
VISA ISSUED...
14-04-2018
LANDED..........
27-06-2018
Hello
I have a question that I have Indian license with 2 years experience. Should I need experience letter as well for G test? Like can I do G test (highway test) right after G1(written test) with 2 years experience or not? If not then what is my requirements. Thank You
Hi,

You need Original Driver License and Extract from the RTO.
Check the following for complete details:
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/handbook//section1.12.0.shtml

Good Luck

gunadinesh

Apr 27, 2019
Hi

I have the following questions:

1. I have an Indian DL along with extract but the total experience is less than 1 year. Will that be considered for DL here in Ontario ?

2. I have already given my written test today and got G1. They did not accept my Indian DL stating that the security fees has not been paid. What is the best possible solution to yhis

21singh

Jun 12, 2017
TORONTO
Category........
NOC Code......
VISA ISSUED...
14-04-2018
LANDED..........
27-06-2018
Hi

I have the following questions:

1. I have an Indian DL along with extract but the total experience is less than 1 year. Will that be considered for DL here in Ontario ?

2. I have already given my written test today and got G1. They did not accept my Indian DL stating that the security fees has not been paid. What is the best possible solution to yhis
Hi,

Since your experience is less than a year, I am not sure that would count up for your Canadian DL.
They expect a minimum of 3 years. (Though nowhere it is mentioned, but officers in DriveTest Centre say so.)

They consider it only if you pay the fees with your G1 test fees.
Not sure what a security fees is.

Good Luck