+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Independent over-aged Child

Darius666

Oct 23, 2020
Hello Experts
I got my provincial nomination through entrepreneurship. I have a quick question, I submitted my pr for my wife, my daughter, and me in 2020. And do I really need to include my son who is approaching 25 years old in my application at that time? Now he is approaching 27 and he has a common-law partner in 2019.
I told my agent to remove my son from my application as a non-accompanying dependent these days. They are unwilling to withdraw 5669, and 5406, they keep telling me the CIC will request your son's information in the future, which will cause a delay if you don't provide it now. They had some very similar situation before, child over-aged, but CIC still requests information for this child, request 5669 and etc. Because once the CIC requests your child's information, one of the few options is to fill out 5669 because CIC can see your child's travel history, personal history, and address history. So I am speechless. Therefore I am looking for advice from you.
Is every family include their independent over-aged child in their application? Do even these independent children have a common-law partner?
I tried my own on searching the answer on the CIC website, they mentioned my child does not qualify as a dependent. But on the 5669 the agent told and we filled out there is no independent option exist if CIC requests see my over-aged child more information.
Hence, should I insist on letting my agent remove my over-aged son from my application?
My application is still in process, it's paper-based.
Please help and share your solution if you had a similar situation

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello Experts
I got my provincial nomination through entrepreneurship. I have a quick question, I submitted my pr for my wife, my daughter, and me in 2020. And do I really need to include my son who is approaching 25 years old in my application at that time? Now he is approaching 27 and he has a common-law partner in 2019.
I told my agent to remove my son from my application as a non-accompanying dependent these days. They are unwilling to withdraw 5669, and 5406, they keep telling me the CIC will request your son's information in the future, which will cause a delay if you don't provide it now. They had some very similar situation before, child over-aged, but CIC still requests information for this child, request 5669 and etc. Because once the CIC requests your child's information, one of the few options is to fill out 5669 because CIC can see your child's travel history, personal history, and address history. So I am speechless. Therefore I am looking for advice from you.
Is every family include their independent over-aged child in their application? Do even these independent children have a common-law partner?
I tried my own on searching the answer on the CIC website, they mentioned my child does not qualify as a dependent. But on the 5669 the agent told and we filled out there is no independent option exist if CIC requests see my over-aged child more information.
Hence, should I insist on letting my agent remove my over-aged son from my application?
My application is still in process, it's paper-based.
Please help and share your solution if you had a similar situation
Not clear exactly what your agent is saying and/or has filed. Your over-age child would be shown (included) in the 5406 - that's correct. (Child also does not fill out the 5406 separately)

Your over-age child does not need to fill out the 5669 - because not a dependent child over 18, as the form instructions clearly say.

The main thing is that the child is not shown on the IMM0008 (if there is one in your package).

I do not believe the child's travel history will be requested or required anywhere.

Is this agent in Canada? A registered agent? If I've understood you properly, they clearly do not know what they are doing.

That said - I don't know if IRCC will delay or return the application because unnecessary information has been included. I suppose it would if they believed you were attempting to include the child in the app - which would usually be documented in the IMM0008.

You might consider, for example, submitting information to make it explicit that you are NOT including in your application your over-age child, who is not a dependent and would not be eligible both based on age and already being married (common-law).

(Note: not an expert, check yourself, etc., you haven't indicated which immigration program you are applying under, and I don't know them all)

Darius666

Oct 23, 2020
Thanks for your detailed reply.
I remembered that they said they put my adult son as non-accopanying child. Does that mean they put my son on the IMM0008.
My agent and representative(lawer from Canada) are in Asia. I am still in Canada running my business.
Do I and my wife need to use webform to send new form imm0008(removing my son information ) and imm5406 and tell CIC remove my son's imm5669?
Or just simply to say that " you are NOT including in your application your over-age child, who is not a dependent and would not be eligible both based on age and already being married (common-law)" without sending new forms. I don't want CIC get confused about this, Which is better way?
I need some advice before consulting with my agent today.
Thanks in advance.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I would say if included in the imm0008, it should be revised and corrected (resubmitted).

You are sponsoring your spouse? Post in the family sponsorship forum.

I would also suggest you get a copy of everything the consultant submitted immediately. High likelihood you will end up firing them.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I submitted pr for myself, my wife, and my young daughter. Does it mean sponsoring the spouse?
No, not sponsorship. You're the applicant and your wife and daughter are your dependents. Since the adult child is not a dependent, he should not be on the app as ... a dependent. (Would be listed on the family information form - check which forms - but not as part of your app)

Reactions: Darius666