+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Incomplete Application for Citizenship - Minor Birth Certificate(Transalation)

PRASHYMYS

Dec 30, 2016
Hi All
1. I applied for Citizenship for me and family (Spouse and 2 Kids) on 29-NOV-2019. Application received by CPC on 04-DEC-2019
2. A week back i rceived the documents back, mentioning the application is INCOMPLETE for my Son (Other 3 applications are Complete - Me, Spouse and My daughter, but were returned since we applied together).
3. Reason for Incomplete appliation (for my Son) - The Foreign laguage documents that have been translated are missing. We require copies of the foreign language documents and their translations
They highlighted the document as the Birth certificate
4. I am adviced to resubmit a complete application, with the copy original document.

Here, My son's Birth certificate is issued by the State if Tamil Nadu government (India) and the Birth Certificate is in both Tamil and English. The issue is around that the document has the title as BIRTH CERTIFICATE (TRANSLATED VERSION).

Factually, this is the ONLY document that the Tamilnadu Govt had issued as birth certificate (which has content in both Tamil and English) and, the original document is nothing but the Municipal regiser for Birh from Local area (Pallavaram Muncipality). This Municipal register is not accessible for Public and is for internal government purposes.

We had used this Birth-certificate all through theses years including for multiple types of Canadian Immigration (Visitor's Visa, Student Visa, PR Process)

My question now is
1. Can I resubmit the application with a Letter of Explanation?
2. CPC also mentioned, fees were not taken. Can I claim for refund for the whole family and resubmit the application for whole family?

Thanks for any inputs

With regards

Prashanth

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Hi All
1. I applied for Citizenship for me and family (Spouse and 2 Kids) on 29-NOV-2019. Application received by CPC on 04-DEC-2019
2. A week back i rceived the documents back, mentioning the application is INCOMPLETE for my Son (Other 3 applications are Complete - Me, Spouse and My daughter, but were returned since we applied together).
3. Reason for Incomplete appliation (for my Son) - The Foreign laguage documents that have been translated are missing. We require copies of the foreign language documents and their translations
They highlighted the document as the Birth certificate
4. I am adviced to resubmit a complete application, with the copy original document.

Here, My son's Birth certificate is issued by the State if Tamil Nadu government (India) and the Birth Certificate is in both Tamil and English. The issue is around that the document has the title as BIRTH CERTIFICATE (TRANSLATED VERSION).

Factually, this is the ONLY document that the Tamilnadu Govt had issued as birth certificate (which has content in both Tamil and English) and, the original document is nothing but the Municipal regiser for Birh from Local area (Pallavaram Muncipality). This Municipal register is not accessible for Public and is for internal government purposes.

We had used this Birth-certificate all through theses years including for multiple types of Canadian Immigration (Visitor's Visa, Student Visa, PR Process)

My question now is
1. Can I resubmit the application with a Letter of Explanation?
2. CPC also mentioned, fees were not taken. Can I claim for refund for the whole family and resubmit the application for whole family?

Thanks for any inputs

With regards

Prashanth
Yes, i would say that you should submit the translated version of pallavaram municipality issued birth certificate. If they dont accept at that time then you can try for refund for his portion of money. The problem now is that this would be the same issue even if you apply later(after you become canadian) hence lets deal with this issue now.

I dont think that TN birth certificates are accessible to cic either. So submit municipality issued birth certificate.

Even if there is problem again after resubmission, dont try to withdraw applications for rest of them. Get citizenship for rest of them(getting most members' citizenship is first priority) and apply for him later(and by that time you figure out how to provide birth certificate format thats accetable to cic).

I never noticed the words "Translated version" which is also in my birth certificate too;)

Last edited:

PRASHYMYS

Dec 30, 2016
Hi Mohan
Thanks for your response. I have already submitted the copy of Birth Certificate which mentions in it's title as TRANSLATED VERSION (This has content in both ENGLISH and TAMIL). COC is looking for original document (which technically isn't there) that's been tranlated (Since the Birth certificate mentions as TRANSLATED VERSION).

Would a letter of explanation help?

Thanks again

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Hi Mohan
Thanks for your response. I have already submitted the copy of Birth Certificate which mentions in it's title as TRANSLATED VERSION (This has content in both ENGLISH and TAMIL). COC is looking for original document (which technically isn't there) that's been tranlated (Since the Birth certificate mentions as TRANSLATED VERSION).

Would a letter of explanation help?

Thanks again
You meant submitted during the first time, correct?
Why are you not submitting municipality issued certificate(if required with translation)?
Explaining in letter for why its mentioned as "translated version" is not convincing. They still will think that there is original certificate and they wont know the processes for other country states.

RKCK

Nov 2, 2015
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
07-11-2015
Doc's Request.
19-02-2015 Travel History
AOR Received.
01-02-2016
Med's Done....
18-12-2015
You can try going to BLS and apply for proof of birth. It is a simple letter from the Indian high commission stating the date & place of birth, if I remember correctly.

PRASHYMYS

Dec 30, 2016
You meant submitted during the first time, correct? -> Thats Correct
Why are you not submitting municipality issued certificate(if required with translation)? -> That is the one I submitted (which is in both English and Tamil)

Also, I called COC helpline and they asked me why did you even submit Birth certificate .... since Birth certificate or adoption order (in the case of adopted children) is needed for adopted children clause. Otherwise, only 2 piece of phot Identity is needed (School Record, Health Card) and not the birth certificate. They advised me to resubmit the application with a letter of application mentioning this and not to submit the Birth Certificate!

Thanks

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
1. Why are you not submitting municipality issued certificate(if required with translation)? -> That is the one I submitted (which is in both English and Tamil)

2. Also, I called COC helpline and they asked me why did you even submit Birth certificate .... since Birth certificate or adoption order (in the case of adopted children) is needed for adopted children clause. Otherwise, only 2 piece of phot Identity is needed (School Record, Health Card) and not the birth certificate. They advised me to resubmit the application with a letter of application mentioning this and not to submit the Birth Certificate!
Thanks
1. Seems the person who reviewed this document was in hurry instead of checking that every line is in both languages. Send a letter of explanation saying that each line is printed in both english and tamil hence translation is not required.

Thinking on attaching the taluk office issued certificate - but dont know if this will complicate things as they would think that why 2 different certificate. So at this stage i am doubtful that this will help rather it might confuse more and will cause rejection. So i am thinking that we should avoid and can try to use this one(alone in a separate application after you become canadian) if they reject again.

2. No, you need birth certificate for own(non-adopted) child. The call center is not the one going to review the application and they are not thinking before they were telling you. All of the guys who submitted the application has sent the birth certificate.

PRASHYMYS

Dec 30, 2016
1. Seems the person who reviewed this document was in hurry instead of checking that every line is in both languages. Send a letter of explanation saying that each line is printed in both english and tamil hence translation is not required.

Right. Infact the COC person who reviewed the document is in the intent that the Municipal issued Birth Certificate is the translated version (since it has TRANSLATED VERSION in the title for Birth Certificate) and hence he/she is looking for the Native/Original Version (which isn't there) that was used to produce the Birth Certificate (TRANSLATED VERSION).

I will resubmit with a letter of explanation. The COC person also mentioned I donot need to pay the fee again (since original Payment receipt for all of us is returned), but resubmit with a letter of explanation.

2. No, you need birth certificate for own(non-adopted) child. The call center is not the one going to review the application and they are not thinking before they were telling you. All of the guys who submitted the application has sent the birth certificate.

Agreed. Since on the Minor application Section 4 (or Question 4), the application guidelines mentions
Question 4: Check the box to indicate if you are the parent or guardian of the child.

If you are the Biological parent(s)
then you must submit

• the child’s birth certificate showing the names of the child and their parents

Phew!

navid2014

Jul 9, 2014

Right. Infact the COC person who reviewed the document is in the intent that the Municipal issued Birth Certificate is the translated version (since it has TRANSLATED VERSION in the title for Birth Certificate) and hence he/she is looking for the Native/Original Version (which isn't there) that was used to produce the Birth Certificate (TRANSLATED VERSION).

I will resubmit with a letter of explanation. The COC person also mentioned I donot need to pay the fee again (since original Payment receipt for all of us is returned), but resubmit with a letter of explanation.

Agreed. Since on the Minor application Section 4 (or Question 4), the application guidelines mentions
Question 4: Check the box to indicate if you are the parent or guardian of the child.

If you are the Biological parent(s)
then you must submit

• the child’s birth certificate showing the names of the child and their parents

Phew!
Go with what @RKCK suggested, that is "You can try going to BLS and apply for proof of birth. It is a simple letter from the Indian high commission stating the date & place of birth, if I remember correctly" and once you have the birth certificate from BLS which is a piece of paper then resubmit your application with explanation letter.

You can definitely take a chance by just sending a explanation letter, but in the meanwhile go to BLS office get the Copy of birth certificate this way you will save the time.

Reactions: PRASHYMYS

sundevil

Star Member
Jul 4, 2014
@PRASHYMYS

Could you please let us know how you proceeded when resubmitting the application package? Did you get it completely translated to English or did you include a letter of explanation saying that the bilingual document with the "Translated Version" in the title is in fact the original birth certificate.

Thanks for your help!

Kaliswaran

Star Member
Dec 1, 2016
I did submit form 5(translated version) for both my kids in Aug 2020. Still waiting for my AOR. Not sure whether they will return my app.

sundevil

Star Member
Jul 4, 2014
@Kaliswaran
I did submit form 5(translated version) for both my kids in Aug 2020. Still waiting for my AOR. Not sure whether they will return my app.
Thanks for the update here.
Do you mean you got the document translated fully in English? Or did you submit a copy of the bilingual birth certificate from Tamil Nadu government which has the "Translated Version" text in the title? If it's the latter did you include an explanation letter indicating that the birth certificate is the original one issued by the government and not a translated document

Last edited:

Kaliswaran

Star Member
Dec 1, 2016
@Kaliswaran

Thanks for the update here.
Do you mean you got the document translated fully in English? Or did you submit a copy of the bilingual birth certificate from Tamil Nadu government which has the "Translated Version" text in the title? If it's the latter did you include an explanation letter indicating that the birth certificate is the original one issued by the government and not a translated document
I used the one that had title "Translated Version". I did not send any letter of explanation. Hope they will not return the application back. June applicants are receiving AOR. Hope I will get to know in month or two.

Reactions: sundevil

sundevil

Star Member
Jul 4, 2014
I used the one that had title "Translated Version". I did not send any letter of explanation. Hope they will not return the application back. June applicants are receiving AOR. Hope I will get to know in month or two.
Thanks for the quick reply. All the best for your application.

tm.bilal

Star Member
Aug 28, 2020
I too submitted similar birth certificates for both of my kids. I am Sep 2020 applicant. If many applications returned for similar reason, we need to collaborate and supply information to others if successful AOR.