+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

income tax filling

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Once in process an application will not be returned as incomplete. That does not foretell how the application will fare on the merits, but only means that the application will go through the processing and IRCC will make a determination as to whether to grant citizenship.

In a macro sense, the item regarding tax filing history is straight-forwardly about making sure the applicant met the current citizenship requirement: that for four of the relevant tax years, the applicant complied with CRA tax filing requirements.

Any year in which the applicant was not required to file taxes will count toward the four, whether a return was filed or not. For any year in which filing a return was required, the applicant needs to have filed a return for that year to count. Years that count need to add up to a total of four (of the potential six years). Thus, if the manner in which the applicant completed this item shows compliance with CRA requirements for four of the relevant years, that satisfies this qualifying element.

Beyond that, however, any and all information in the application can be examined, considered, and compared to other information, for a variety of purposes. The most obvious one for the tax item is that how the applicant responded will likely be reviewed to discern whether that response is consistent with the applicant's reported employment history . . . an applicant reporting full time employment in Canada for a year but responding "no" as to whether a return was required that year, is bound to attract some negative scrutiny.

Remember, what actually happens during processing can vary considerably depending on many, many factors. And how the applicant responded to the item regarding tax filings is, of course, part of the information which IRCC will consider, including in context with other information. And, again, if there is an inconsistency between how the applicant completed this item and CRA records, that may be identified by CRA and brought to the attention of IRCC. (Actual extent and manner of sharing is largely unknown, but the law, including regulations, are in place to facilitate IRCC sharing the tax item responses with CRA and CRA in turn sharing with IRCC any inconsistencies with their records.)

Fhaider

Star Member
May 10, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Called CIC today and explained error I made which was "no" to "required to file" and "yes" to "taxes filed"
They said, it shouldn't be a problem as you have said "yes" to "taxes filed".

May2014

Star Member
May 6, 2014
dpenabill said:
Once in process an application will not be returned as incomplete. That does not foretell how the application will fare on the merits, but only means that the application will go through the processing and IRCC will make a determination as to whether to grant citizenship.

In a macro sense, the item regarding tax filing history is straight-forwardly about making sure the applicant met the current citizenship requirement: that for four of the relevant tax years, the applicant complied with CRA tax filing requirements.

Any year in which the applicant was not required to file taxes will count toward the four, whether a return was filed or not. For any year in which filing a return was required, the applicant needs to have filed a return for that year to count. Years that count need to add up to a total of four (of the potential six years). Thus, if the manner in which the applicant completed this item shows compliance with CRA requirements for four of the relevant years, that satisfies this qualifying element.

Beyond that, however, any and all information in the application can be examined, considered, and compared to other information, for a variety of purposes. The most obvious one for the tax item is that how the applicant responded will likely be reviewed to discern whether that response is consistent with the applicant's reported employment history . . . an applicant reporting full time employment in Canada for a year but responding "no" as to whether a return was required that year, is bound to attract some negative scrutiny.

Remember, what actually happens during processing can vary considerably depending on many, many factors. And how the applicant responded to the item regarding tax filings is, of course, part of the information which IRCC will consider, including in context with other information. And, again, if there is an inconsistency between how the applicant completed this item and CRA records, that may be identified by CRA and brought to the attention of IRCC. (Actual extent and manner of sharing is largely unknown, but the law, including regulations, are in place to facilitate IRCC sharing the tax item responses with CRA and CRA in turn sharing with IRCC any inconsistencies with their records.)

Hi
Quick question , if I didn't work at all yet filed my taxes , does that mean my answer should be no to required and yes to filed ?
Thanks everyone

Fhaider

Star Member
May 10, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I believe you have to file taxes even if you don't work. Make sure you file your income tax for the last 4 years

Required to file "yes"
Taxes Filed "yes"

My wife doesn't work we do her taxes every year.

May2014

Star Member
May 6, 2014
Fhaider said:
I believe you have to file taxes even if you don't work. Make sure you file your income tax for the last 4 years

Required to file "yes"
Taxes Filed "yes"

My wife doesn't work we do her taxes every year.
Thank you so much

Fhaider

Star Member
May 10, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
as aa said:
When i check in cic "steps of application " if the app is incomplete they return it before processing and if the app is complète they send the AOR and they start the processing
Hey as aa

I got my AOR too regardless of the mistake in my application form. Wish u good luck. Keep us updated.

citzjan2020

Jan 25, 2020

@dpenabill

My last 5 years are - 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019. The deadline to file 2019 taxes is March 2020 and I will be submitting my application before filing my 2019 taxes. So should I tick YES for 'required to file' and NO to 'Taxes filed or not' for the year 2019? Thank you in advance.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
@dpenabill

My last 5 years are - 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019. The deadline to file 2019 taxes is March 2020 and I will be submitting my application before filing my 2019 taxes. So should I tick YES for 'required to file' and NO to 'Taxes filed or not' for the year 2019? Thank you in advance.

Some important reminders:
-- The post quoted is old, and pre-dates the current law. Requirements related to compliance with tax-filing obligations have changed since then.​
-- I am NOT an expert. I cannot give personal advice.​

Some Observations:

For most Canadians (including PRs as well as citizens), as well as FNs residing or employed in Canada, the deadline for filing a 2019 return is April 30, 2020. For many the deadline is later than that, such as for those of us who are self-employed who have a June 15, 2020 deadline.

I am not aware of the circumstances under which some individuals might have an earlier deadline, such as in March, but of course CRA can request a tax return be filed by a certain date in individual cases.

In any event, if a person is NOT required to file a tax return for a given year, as of the day they sign they application, of course they can check "no" not required to file a return for that year . . . even though they realize that in the near future they will be required to file a return for that year. Similar to providing employment information . . . even if the applicant knows he is leaving his current employment and will be working for a different employer soon, the information the applicant enters into the application is based on the facts in existence up to the date the application is made.

So technically, for an application made today, the applicant can check "no" and "no" for 2019, even if the applicant knows he or she will be required to file a return by April 30th. And, moreover, technically that will count as one of the years the applicant has complied with the CRA tax filing obligation.

But "what should I do?" is a very different question from "what happens if I did XYZ?" Leading to . . .

WHAT IS TECHNICALLY OK IS NOT ALWAYS THE BEST APPROACH.

It should go without saying: the impression an applicant makes can matter. Best impression is made by filing a tax return for any and every year since coming to live in Canada.

For someone applying this month, for example, it will definitely make a better impression if they have filed a tax return for at least 2016, 2017, and 2018, and for those are years they can check "yes" and "yes" (yes, required to file, and yes did file). Then 2019 does not matter. Not much anyway.

Since I am risk averse, and to my view it will rarely hurt and usually be better to wait longer to apply, my sense of the better approach would be to also wait to apply until after 2019 taxes have been filed and the applicant can check "yes" and "yes" for 2019 as well . . . even if it is still before April 30th . . . even if this is unnecessary to meet the requirements.

Those who prefer to play it close to the bone and rely on what meets the technical requirements, can calculate and navigate these matters according to their own counsel, as they choose.

Prudent applicants wait to apply with a margin over the minimum, and otherwise wait to apply when there can be no doubt they have met the various requirements.

citzjan2020

Jan 25, 2020
-- The post quoted is old, and pre-dates the current law. Requirements related to compliance with tax-filing obligations have changed since then.​

Some Observations:

For most Canadians (including PRs as well as citizens), as well as FNs residing or employed in Canada, the deadline for filing a 2019 return is April 30, 2020. For many the deadline is later than that, such as for those of us who are self-employed who have a June 15, 2020 deadline.

I am not aware of the circumstances under which some individuals might have an earlier deadline, such as in March, but of course CRA can request a tax return be filed by a certain date in individual cases.

In any event, if a person is NOT required to file a tax return for a given year, as of the day they sign they application, of course they can check "no" not required to file a return for that year . . . even though they realize that in the near future they will be required to file a return for that year. Similar to providing employment information . . . even if the applicant knows he is leaving his current employment and will be working for a different employer soon, the information the applicant enters into the application is based on the facts in existence up to the date the application is made.

So technically, for an application made today, the applicant can check "no" and "no" for 2019, even if the applicant knows he or she will be required to file a return by April 30th. And, moreover, technically that will count as one of the years the applicant has complied with the CRA tax filing obligation.

But "what should I do?" is a very different question from "what happens if I did XYZ?" Leading to . . .

It should go without saying: the impression an applicant makes can matter. Best impression is made by filing a tax return for any and every year since coming to live in Canada.

For someone applying this month, for example, it will definitely make a better impression if they have filed a tax return for at least 2016, 2017, and 2018, and for those are years they can check "yes" and "yes" (yes, required to file, and yes did file). Then 2019 does not matter. Not much anyway.

Since I am risk averse, and to my view it will rarely hurt and usually be better to wait longer to apply, my sense of the better approach would be to also wait to apply until after 2019 taxes have been filed and the applicant can check "yes" and "yes" for 2019 as well . . . even if it is still before April 30th . . . even if this is unnecessary to meet the requirements.

Those who prefer to play it close to the bone and rely on what meets the technical requirements, can calculate and navigate these matters according to their own counsel, as they choose.

Prudent applicants wait to apply with a margin over the minimum, and otherwise wait to apply when there can be no doubt they have met the various requirements.
Thanks I got my answer. I will select No and No for 2019. I was unable to interpret 'required to file taxes' term and though that I 'am required' to filed the taxes. But after reading your post, it looks like I am not required to filed the taxes for 2019 as of now.

citzjan2020

Jan 25, 2020

Some Observations:

I read your post again carefully.
I get that if the person is willing to change employer in future, he cannot mention it now as it is not a fact yet. But isn't filing taxes for 2019 a requirement and hence, a fact? shouldn't it be YES for required and No for Taxes filed? Please correct me if I am missing anything. April is a deadline. But as of today, I am completely aware that I am required to fill taxes for 2019 right? And hence a fact? @dpenabill

Last edited:

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I read your post again carefully.
I get that if the person is willing to change employer in future, he cannot mention it now as it is not a fact yet. But isn't filing taxes for 2019 a requirement and hence, a fact? shouldn't it be YES for required and No for Taxes filed? Please correct me if I am missing anything. April is a deadline. But as of today, I am completely aware that I am required to fill taxes for 2019 right? And hence a fact? @dpenabill
I am NOT an expert.

My observations about this issue are in significant part based on confirmation in posts here, in the forum, by ordinarily reliable participants based on information they obtained from CIC/IRCC.

This includes the following:
It is totally OK if you haven't submitted your tax return for 2018 yet, even if you were required to. This is explicitly stated on IRCCs website here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/grant/residence/income-tax-filing.html

Quote: "Applicants who submit their application early in the calendar year would not have been required to file taxes yet for the previous calendar year."
That posts references, links, and quotes information from here (repeated for emphasis):
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/grant/residence/income-tax-filing.html

Again, it states:
"Also, applicants who submit their application early in the calendar year would not have been required to file taxes yet for the previous calendar year. "​

And this is consistent with a LITERAL, technical interpretation of the requirement. As of today, an ordinary Canadian tax payer is not required to have filed a tax return for 2019, even though the tax payer is required to file a tax return by April 30.

BUT I also described what the PRUDENT applicant will do:

"Since I am risk averse, and to my view it will rarely hurt and usually be better to wait longer to apply, my sense of the better approach would be to also wait to apply until after 2019 taxes have been filed and the applicant can check "yes" and "yes" for 2019 as well . . . even if it is still before April 30th . . . even if this is unnecessary to meet the requirements."​

To be clear, then, I do not suggest, let alone advise or advocate, relying on the literal, technical interpretation. Even though it appears IRCC accepts that interpretation.

Note that the purpose of this requirement is way broader than encouraging immigrants to comply with Canadian tax laws. Generally I steer wide of interpreting application requirements based on unraveling the purpose for the question, and focus on reading and following the instructions according to what they say not what IRCC purportedly *wants* but for this particular item it is clear the purpose underlying this requirement is about filling in a more complete picture of the applicant's Canadian life.

citzjan2020

Jan 25, 2020
I am NOT an expert.

My observations about this issue are in significant part based on confirmation in posts here, in the forum, by ordinarily reliable participants based on information they obtained from CIC/IRCC.

This includes the following:

That posts references, links, and quotes information from here (repeated for emphasis):

Again, it states:
"Also, applicants who submit their application early in the calendar year would not have been required to file taxes yet for the previous calendar year. "​

And this is consistent with a LITERAL, technical interpretation of the requirement. As of today, an ordinary Canadian tax payer is not required to have filed a tax return for 2019, even though the tax payer is required to file a tax return by April 30.

BUT I also described what the PRUDENT applicant will do:

"Since I am risk averse, and to my view it will rarely hurt and usually be better to wait longer to apply, my sense of the better approach would be to also wait to apply until after 2019 taxes have been filed and the applicant can check "yes" and "yes" for 2019 as well . . . even if it is still before April 30th . . . even if this is unnecessary to meet the requirements."​

To be clear, then, I do not suggest, let alone advise or advocate, relying on the literal, technical interpretation. Even though it appears IRCC accepts that interpretation.

Note that the purpose of this requirement is way broader than encouraging immigrants to comply with Canadian tax laws. Generally I steer wide of interpreting application requirements based on unraveling the purpose for the question, and focus on reading and following the instructions according to what they say not what IRCC purportedly *wants* but for this particular item it is clear the purpose underlying this requirement is about filling in a more complete picture of the applicant's Canadian life.
Thanks for the wholistic approach! You claim not to be an expert but I believe you are just being humble. Thanks for the citations too. People benefit so much from your responses!

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
You claim not to be an expert but I believe you are just being humble.
Not often anyone so much as hints I have a shred of humility or am in any way "humble."

But to be clear, NO, my repeated emphasis that I am NOT an expert is based on some very important considerations. Foremost of which is the simple fact that I really am NO expert. Sure, I have done a lot of homework over the years, and in particular have kept up doing the homework for a small number of rather particular issues. So I have a fairly deep reservoir of information about those narrow, specific issues. That comes NO WHERE NEAR close to expertise.

I am, perhaps, like someone who has been a cancer patient for years and has learned a great deal about a particular cancer and particular treatments. That does not make that person a doctor or a cancer expert generally, let alone competent to evaluate and diagnose anyone else's cancer, let alone prescribe treatment. Even for a very similar cancer, since there are so many variables which can affect what is happening and how things will go.

And apart from that, in a forum setting like this (unlike the depth of detailed knowledge the oncologist has who is treating a particular cancer patient), there is a broad range of particular details which can be very important in the particular case. This forum is NOT an appropriate venue for sharing anywhere near enough of such details for someone to offer an "experts' opinion" even if the individual actually is an expert. That is, even if I was an expert (to be clear, I really am NOT), anything I posted here should NOT be considered to be an expert's opinion.

I BELIEVE THIS IS IMPORTANT. I get the sense that many who pose questions here do not realize the nature and scope of what is offered. It is IMPORTANT to NOT RELY on anything posted here as an expert's view. Indeed, any posts here purporting to be based on expertise should be approached with much skepticism.

Lots of good information, or at least we try to offer lots of good information . . . BUT NO expertise.