+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

income requirement rule

vanwilder

Star Member
Apr 16, 2011
hello folks,

is there a rule that the sponsoring person should hold a job in order to sponsor wife? I do not have a job yet and my consultant is saying I need to have job first to sponsor my wife. So far to my knowledge you dont have to have a job if you are sponsoring your wife? Has this rule changed?

Can you give me the web link where it explains about the income/job requirement so that I can show it to my consultant office. I will really appreciate it. Thanks

Sweetmine

Star Member
Mar 20, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-10-2010
Doc's Request.
15-08-2011, 25-11-2011, 22-03-2012
AOR Received.
17-05-2011
File Transfer...
15-02-2011
Med's Request
25-11-2011
Med's Done....
7-12-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
06-06-2012
VISA ISSUED...
11-06-2012
LANDED..........
28-06-2012
There is no minimun income required to sponsor a spouse, but you have to show that you will be able to support your spouse once she/he arrives in Canada. You cannot be recipient of social assistance if you want to sponsor.
Since you are not working, what type of income do you have?

vanwilder

Star Member
Apr 16, 2011
I dont have any income source right now. because i just moved to canada . I am looking for jobs and it might take time. I have some bank balance from the work I performed in the past (outside canada) Am I eligible to file sponsorship application? can you provide me the web link where it provides further detail about this.

Fencesitter

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 13, 2012
AOR Received.
AOR2 July 25, 2012
File Transfer...
July 13, 2012
Med's Done....
Mar 1, 2012
Interview........
WAIVED!
Passport Req..
Aug 28, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Sept 24, 2012
LANDED..........
Jan 30, 2013
As mentioned, there is no minimum income requirement for sponsoring a spouse. However, you will need to prove that you have sufficient funds to meet your obligations as the sponsor (for a period of 3 years). Think of it this way, if you do not provide enough evidence that you are capable of supporting your spouse, CIC may not feel comfortable granting your spouse the PR visa. So, what you should do is provide enough evidence that you will be able to support your spouse and that you will not require government financial assistance.

I am not employed in Canada, so I provided a lot of information on my work here in China. I also included an employment offer from a Canadian employer stating I can begin work as soon as we arrive in Canada. This alone should satisfy the visa officer. In your case, since you don't have a job or employment offer, provide lots of evidence of your job search and savings. If you don't have much in the bank, i.e. over CAD$20,000, it might be a little more difficult, as the visa officer may consider a smaller amount to be insufficient to support two people (that's just my opinion).

Basically, provide enough quality evidence to satisfy the visa officer.

Good luck!

FS

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vanwilder said:
hello folks,

is there a rule that the sponsoring person should hold a job in order to sponsor wife? I do not have a job yet and my consultant is saying I need to have job first to sponsor my wife. So far to my knowledge you dont have to have a job if you are sponsoring your wife? Has this rule changed?

Can you give me the web link where it explains about the income/job requirement so that I can show it to my consultant office. I will really appreciate it. Thanks
Hi vanwilder - the information you are looking for is

"Sponsors of dependent children and of spouses, common-law partners or conjugal partners
(unless they have dependent children who have dependent children of their own) do not have to
meet financial requirements, but they do undertake to provide for the basic necessities of the
sponsored applicants so that the applicants do not need social assistance. Applicants may be
refused for financial reasons under A39 if they are unable or unwilling to support themselves and
their dependent children and there are not adequate arrangements for their care and support.
Officers should take into consideration the sponsor’s financial situation and willingness to assist,
as well as the financial situation or employment prospects of the applicant, if applicable."
Source: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op02-eng.pdf pages 42 & 43

jatin007

Apr 19, 2012
Ok, First of all,, Income is a requirement.. for sure.. as CIC will need proof that you can support the person you are sponsering..

BUT.... In some cases, you can skip this rule.

HOW???

First, you need to get solid proof in your application, that you and the person being sponsored are both physically fit and capable to do work.
This one is easy if you attach your previous employment history, as well as your spouse current employment certificate. If both cases are true, gr8,, if any one of you have work experience, ok, but, if none has recent work experience, Thats NO proof, that you are capable to support yourself.

NEXT..
Arrange an ARRANGED EMPLOYMENT... If you can get a confirmation from some company like a job letter, offering job for the person to be sponsored, its the best, and CIC wont have any problems then, as they know that the person being sponsored has a job offer in hand, and wont be a burden on Canada.

If the above two conditions are fully satisfied, then There are excellent chance for a positive response to application, and make sure, the paper work for the application is done very perfectly,, Attach maximum documents you can,..

If above is not the case, better wait,, find a job, and then sponsor. Work for 2-3 months, and then file application and continue job, and they might call the employer to confirm.. Thats it.

GOGOGO

Jan 12, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo->New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-09-2011
Doc's Request.
23-02-2012
AOR Received.
04-01-2012 (Email from Buffalo)
File Transfer...
02-02-2012 (Buffalo->New York: notified by email from Buffalo)
Med's Done....
18-01-2012
Passport Req..
11-04-2012; 23Apr: PP copy delivered at NY
VISA ISSUED...
01-05-2012 (as per COPR); 4May: Decision Made on eCAS; 8May: COPR rcvd (Canada address)
LANDED..........
10-05-2012; 12May: Status in eCAS disappeared; 13Jul: PR Card rcv'd
In addition to OhCanadiana, it says in both the inland and outland sponsor guides...

"Sponsorship eligibility

In order to sponsor, you must...
... (omitted some points)
• prove that you have sufficient income to provide basic requirements for your spouse or common-law partner's dependent children. To do this, you must provide documents showing your financial resources for the past 12 months. This requirement applies only when dependent children who have dependent children of their own are included on the application."

Guides:
Applying for permanent residence from within Canada: Spouse or common-law partner in Canada class (IMM 5289)
(source: www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5289ETOC.asp)
Guide 3900 - Sponsorship of a spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner or dependent child living outside Canada
(source: www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/3900ETOC.asp)

Note: Read all points in the Sponsorship eligibility section to make sure you meet other requirements.