+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Income exemption for Spousal Sponsorship

im-sponsoring

Oct 15, 2009
Hi all,
I read in an earliar post that those of us sponsoring our spouse, are exempt from the minimum necessary income. Can someone please direct me to where it states that in the guide?

I only want to sponsor my spouse, we have no children or any other dependants.

Thank you

whoopi83

Aug 17, 2009
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sponsors guide IMM3900 page 9 top of the page:

You will have to provide us with documents that show your financial resources for the past 12 months and prove you are financially able to sponsor members of the family class. You may solicit the help of a co-signer (must be your spouse or common-law partner). If you reside in Quebec, see also Sponsors living in Quebec.

This condition does not apply if you are sponsoring only your spouse, common-law or conjugal partner who has no dependent children, or your spouse, common-law or conjugal partner whose dependent children have no children of their own, or your dependent child who has no children of his or her own.

kay77

Oct 14, 2009
Hi There,

I had a similar query, in the document checklist it lists out a few supporting documents that are required as evidence of income:

Notice of Assessment - Option C Printout
Original Letter from Current Employer
Evidence of various types of Income

I am presently not working and am a Canadian Citizen living abroad with my husband who is currently supporting me. I am only sponsoring my husband, does the above apply to me as well? Sorry if this is a silly question.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Not a silly question kay. Write a letter to that effect and provide proof of your husband's income.

NYCtoNB

Star Member
Sep 12, 2008
new york city
Category........
Visa Office......
bufallo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
10-05-09
Passport Req..
02-03-10
LANDED..........
18-06-2010
i apologize as i have asked this before without reply, but can a T4 serve to replace the option c print out?
my husband is currently in NY with me and we can not call the one eight hundred number,

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No.

Your T4 doesn't give info. about bankruptcy or receiving social assistance. Option C does. That's what they're looking for, not your income per se.

EDIT: But if you're unable to get Option C, you can submit a letter saying why.

NYCtoNB

Star Member
Sep 12, 2008
new york city
Category........
Visa Office......
bufallo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
10-05-09
Passport Req..
02-03-10
LANDED..........
18-06-2010
ariell said:
No.

Your T4 doesn't give info. about bankruptcy or receiving social assistance. Option C does. That's what they're looking for, not your income per se.

EDIT: But if you're unable to get Option C, you can submit a letter saying why.
thank you

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Go to the CRA website. You should be able to find a normal number to call rather than the toll free number.

NYCtoNB

Star Member
Sep 12, 2008
new york city
Category........
Visa Office......
bufallo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
10-05-09
Passport Req..
02-03-10
LANDED..........
18-06-2010
rjessome said:
Go to the CRA website. You should be able to find a normal number to call rather than the toll free number.
that didn't even occur to us, thank you so much. it is just known as the option c printout yes? i hope i can find it

im-sponsoring

Oct 15, 2009
Thanks! I think I read the kit a zillion times and each time I read that part I assumed they are talking about having a co-signer. Thanks a lot for your help! This is a great forum!

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Whoopi83: Are you sure about your answer? Document checklist IMM5491 (for sponsoring a spouse) does not mention any IMM3900. Since I haven't quite submitted our application, now's the time to double check.

NYCtoNB: Join SKYPE, and put $10 in SKYPE OUT, and you can call any 1-800 number in North America free.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Whoopi -- oops!!! IMM3900 is the guide, not a part of the application. Sorry for the confusion.

kay77

Oct 14, 2009
Hi There,

I am now on the last bit of putting all my supporting documents together and have now come back to 17,18 and 19 in !MM 5491.

I have written a letter as to why I will not be submitting a Option C Printout, which so far reads as follows:

Explanation of No “Option C Printout”
With reference to the supporting documents section in the document checklist (IMM 5491), I have not provided an “Option C Printout” as I have been living abroad for approximately 16 years and not a resident for taxation purposes.

Is the above a sufficient explanation as to why I will not be providing an Option C Printout.

Also, I have been trying to get back in touch with my employers in UAE and have not had any luck. I tried also to get statements from my bank (the account was closed) and have not been successful. So I dont have anything to prove the amount of income I earned overseas for the last 12 months.

What I do have though is my spouse's employment contract in Canada which is quite a bit more than the required minimum income for us.

So the next question is, should I also try and see if I can get a Canadian employment offer while I am still overseas or is my husband's contract enough to get us through the minimum income requirement?

Thanks in Advance....

im-sponsoring

Oct 15, 2009
I would explain the situation. If you do not have any children, then you are exempt from the minimum necessary income. But I would include the explanation you wrote.

Only thing is that you have to prove that you are returning to Canada once your husband gets approved. Having a job offer is that kind of proof. Another could be any indication that you severed your ties to the other country (i.e. closing bank accounts, selling properties, etc) They provide examples in the guide.

Hope this helps. We are working towards completing the Appendix A requirements for the Middle East. Its a bit complicated as my husband is Jordanian and Lebanese but resides in Saudi Arabia! Im confused about the civil status documents needed as it states that if you are a resident of Jordan and Lebanon then you have to provide extra papers. He is not a resident of these countries. Im not sure if he needs them or not. Its a bit stressfull if you ask me!