+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

In-land Spousal Sponsorship-Open Work Permit?

Mar 8, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If a couple is married a week before their temporary resident visa expired but the in land spousal sponsorship application wasn't sent until 8 months later (so status in Canada was expired for 8 months) what does this mean for that person? Will this have a negative affect on their PR application? After the sponsor has been approved is the person still eligible to apply for an Open Work Permit in this case?
Thank you.

automaton82

Aug 28, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V // CPC-M
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-12-2013
AOR Received.
28-01-2014
Med's Done....
Sent with app
Interview........
AIP 30-04-2015 // DM 06-05-2015
LANDED..........
19-05-2015 // PR card 28-08-2015
I'm not an expert, but I don't think you can apply for PR/OWP with an expired status. From this link (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5289ETOC.asp) it says the applicant must provide:
Immigration document confirming your status in Canada

Examples:

visitor visa,
study permit,
work permit,
temporary resident permit (TRP),
document proving that you have legal status in Canada.

Once you apply though, your status can indeed expire.. but before you applied, if your status expired, then I think you had to leave and come back (or extend your TRV online).

I'm curious, how did you supply proof of your status in Canada if it had already expired?

MaxLet

May 28, 2013
Prevost, Qc
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville (Now Montreal)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-03-2013
Doc's Request.
CIC ask for MICC: 14-03-13
Nomination.....
CSQ: 09-05-2013
AOR Received.
14-03-2013
Med's Request
07-01-14
Med's Done....
09-01-14
Interview........
WAIVED!+AIP 07-01-14
Passport Req..
DM: 28-02-14
LANDED..........
15-05-2014
That's not all true, indeed you can apply with an expire status.
I was 6months out of status before applying and we call cic and 3 dif agents suggest to apply inland so we did it. I didnt got aip yet but i got csq (quebec) and aor. About the work permit,
Yes you can do it and put that u dont have status anymore. Call cic and explain the situation (my husband did it (sponsor) they will send you an email with spefications on your owp app, only thing is you got married a few weeks before visa expired, how long after you send app? In my case we got married a year before visa expire and apply only after 1y and a half married...
Call cic, trust me, they will put u in the good place.
Good luck and God bless

automaton82

Aug 28, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V // CPC-M
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-12-2013
AOR Received.
28-01-2014
Med's Done....
Sent with app
Interview........
AIP 30-04-2015 // DM 06-05-2015
LANDED..........
19-05-2015 // PR card 28-08-2015
MaxLet said:
That's not all true, indeed you can apply with an expire status.
I was 6months out of status before applying and we call cic and 3 dif agents suggest to apply inland so we did it. I didnt got aip yet but i got csq (quebec) and aor. About the work permit,
Yes you can do it and put that u dont have status anymore. Call cic and explain the situation (my husband did it (sponsor) they will send you an email with spefications on your owp app, only thing is you got married a few weeks before visa expired, how long after you send app? In my case we got married a year before visa expire and apply only after 1y and a half married...
Call cic, trust me, they will put u in the good place.
Good luck and God bless
I have never heard that that is okay, but if yours goes through then clearly I am wrong.

Mar 8, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I read that it is okay if their status has expired if they are going through the sponsorship process their status is kind of in transition. I was just wondering if it affected the open work permit or not, it's not for me it's for a friend but apparently they got a letter that they can now apply for the open work permit which they did it's just that they applied for it in May and it's already September and they haven't received it yet... maybe it's lost in the mail because it shouldn't take that long, am i right?