+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

in Canada PR application: Status changed to PR during Covid without travel document outside Canada

Dkw

Jun 12, 2020
I am a PR applicant of the Atlantic immigration pilot-international graduate path. A few days ago, I have received a letter with a CoPR number and a photo request for the PR card. However, I am outside Canada on vacation and stuck at home for 4 months due to COVID. Since I applied for PR within Canada, I don't get the initial PR visa, I am wondering whether I need a PR travel document to enter Canada. If so, I don't have any info about landing etc to fill out the application form since I never landed. Also, I was a temporary work permit holder before I leave Canada and I still have my job in Canada and my work permit and multiple entry visa are still valid. In this case, if I need a travel document, can I use my work visa to enter Canada? any info?.Thank you very much

ericusdab

Mar 24, 2017
I am a PR applicant of the Atlantic immigration pilot-international graduate path. A few days ago, I have received a letter with a CoPR number and a photo request for the PR card. However, I am outside Canada on vacation and stuck at home for 4 months due to COVID. Since I applied for PR within Canada, I don't get the initial PR visa, I am wondering whether I need a PR travel document to enter Canada. If so, I don't have any info about landing etc to fill out the application form since I never landed. Also, I was a temporary work permit holder before I leave Canada and I still have my job in Canada and my work permit and multiple entry visa are still valid. In this case, if I need a travel document, can I use my work visa to enter Canada? any info?.Thank you very much
Hmm, I also have similar issues, I got my postgraduate work permit last February and I got stuck in Finland after I traveled to visit my family, my TRV is about to expire next month 10th and I’m worried because I have applied new TRV since 5th May no decision yet!

Dkw

Jun 12, 2020
Hmm, I also have similar issues, I got my postgraduate work permit last February and I got stuck in Finland after I traveled to visit my family, my TRV is about to expire next month 10th and I’m worried because I have applied new TRV since 5th May no decision yet!
oh! Did you apply for TRV within Canada? If you are outside you are applying from Finland I guess. My work permit is not expired until 2022. But, my problem is my status changed while I am outside Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You needed to update CIC that you were out of Canada. You received a special PR for inland applicants. You need to contact CIC and explain that you are actually out of Canada and how should you proceed.

Reactions: Dkw

Dkw

Jun 12, 2020
You needed to update CIC that you were out of Canada. You received a special PR for inland applicants. You need to contact CIC and explain that you are actually out of Canada and how should you proceed.
Thanks for your input. I asked them and the reply was a general message saying I need to apply for a PRTD and links to some web pages. However, now I have questions filling out the application form since I've never been to Canada from the date of my PR confirmation and no landing information to include except the CoPR document number.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for your input. I asked them and the reply was a general message saying I need to apply for a PRTD and links to some web pages. However, now I have questions filling out the application form since I've never been to Canada from the date of my PR confirmation and no landing information to include except the CoPR document number.
Would attach your whole document. This is a special inland landing document so many processing PRTD would likely to have never seen this. The bad news is that processing PRTD could take months.

Dkw

Jun 12, 2020
Would attach your whole document. This is a special inland landing document so many processing PRTD would likely to have never seen this. The bad news is that processing PRTD could take months.
Thanks. yes I will attach. Months...??? oh my. Though they have limited phone operators at CIC, I can't call Canadian number from outside for more information and their global lines do not have agents and our VAC can't help too. :(

ericusdab

Mar 24, 2017
oh! Did you apply for TRV within Canada? If you are outside you are applying from Finland I guess. My work permit is not expired until 2022. But, my problem is my status changed while I am outside Canada.
So how can I contact My CIC about my situation I am scared about my application and my work permit

Dkw

Jun 12, 2020
So how can I contact My CIC about my situation I am scared about my application and my work permit
I just heard from the visa office in my country. They say as I have a valid work permit and valid visa, I can travel with those documents. Do you think you can travel before your current TRV and permit expires? I know we can't call CIC from outside Canada. But try to contact them via web form . They responded me within 2-3 days. Also, try reaching out to Finland's visa office.

ericusdab

Mar 24, 2017
I just heard from the visa office in my country. They say as I have a valid work permit and valid visa, I can travel with those documents. Do you think you can travel before your current TRV and permit expires? I know we can't call CIC from outside Canada. But try to contact them via web form . They responded me within 2-3 days. Also, try reaching out to Finland's visa office.
In Finland they don't have Visa section here unless UK, however I have sent them email already and waiting for the response. I am so confused !

Dkw

Jun 12, 2020
In Finland they don't have Visa section here unless UK, however I have sent them email already and waiting for the response. I am so confused !
I understand. I am confused too. Yes, we will wait for the response from them. Hope everything will back to normal soon.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Your TRV and WP should/would have been cancelled when you got PR.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You can travel before your TRV expires. Would try and leave or else you could get stuck for a few months.

Last edited: