+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

In canada on study permit can I do work for Indian company remotely

gsanthar

Mar 27, 2015
Hi All,

I am coming to Canada to do masters december 2015. My past employer offered me a part time position to do work remotely. Can I do the work remotely for Indian company in Canada on study permit.
What are the implications for this action. As I am allowed to work only 20 hours. will this arrangement affect the work rules for student.

Thanks

bluffmaster88

Jun 5, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As long as you are not taking up wages from candian labor market, you can work any number of hours for Indian company and get paid through indian payroll.

steakpie

Jul 29, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
bluffmaster88 said:
As long as you are not taking up wages from candian labor market, you can work any number of hours for Indian company and get paid through indian payroll.
IS this really true?
Can someone please confirm this?

Thank you

steakpie

Jul 29, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
PMM said:
Hi

1. Yes, it is true, as long as there are no Canadian customers.
Okay, does one need to file taxes in Canada or let anyone/Canadian Government know about this?

Or is it just allowed and one need not inform anyone?

Thank you very much :)

ndrs11

Star Member
Jan 24, 2014
Yes, you do have to pay taxes, since for CRA purposes you are a resident of Canada (even if you're just a temporary one) and you need to pay taxes on your global income, including income coming from outside Canada. Regardless of your immigration status, regardless if you have a work permit or not. Taxes people don't care about your status in Canada,they just care that you pay them their money.

If you can't get a social insurance number, you need to get an Individual Tax Number from CRA in order to pay taxes. There are forms on their website for this.

It's up to you to disclose it or not. However, not disclosing your world income could carry very big legal consequences if you get caught. You can be charged with tax evasion and face penalties and jail time..

Believe me, if you think Immigration officials are scary, you do NOT want to mess up with Taxes officials. Those are the really scary ones :)

gsanthar

Mar 27, 2015
Thanks guys. I have one more question in relation to this

Can I work remotely right from the first day. Or as per the rules I can start working only after first 6 months?

If this remote arrangement is possible. Will I allowed to do both the jobs say the first remote job from India and second student jobs at canada.

amruthasuresh

May 4, 2020
I know its an old post, but can you tell me what decision you made.. i am trying to do the same and need to know the legal aspects

douglasr

Feb 20, 2021
Thank you !!
No problem! What I've been reading is that you just need to make sure to pay the Canadian taxes. Still need to figure out the process tho, as I will be moving to Canada on Fall to study there and want to keep my remote, US-based job.

amruthasuresh

May 4, 2020
Yes, I read about the taxes too. About declaration of global income.
Just a concern is that if i need to pay double tax. Like in home country as well as Canada. Logically it doesn't make sense so I am assuming we just need to declare the income.

Reactions: douglasr

asha3jac

Mar 8, 2021
Hi.can I work for indian company on indian salary
It has offices in Canada though
Will it create a problem