+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Importing the car during Landing in canada via road from USA

pranaam

Mar 9, 2020
Hello Guys,
My question is do I need to import my car to canada before landing process is completed or i can first complete my landing and then import the car later on after few months.

I plan to land in Canada in January 2021 via Detroit Windsor ambassador bridge. Presently. Soft landing is not allowed so i will stay there for few months before we move in completely.

Thanks.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Hello Guys,
My question is do I need to import my car to canada before landing process is completed or i can first complete my landing and then import the car later on after few months.

I plan to land in Canada in January 2021 via Detroit Windsor ambassador bridge. Presently. Soft landing is not allowed so i will stay there for few months before we move in completely.

Thanks.
You can only import at/after landing. Yes you can import later too but during your permanent move(jan2021) you cant take that specific car without importing.

pranaam

Mar 9, 2020
You can only import at/after landing. Yes you can import later too but during your permanent move(jan2021) you cant take that specific car without importing.
Thanks for your response. However, I was wondering that you don't need to import the vehicle unless you have established a residence in Canada. In my case, I will still have my residence in USA.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Thanks for your response. However, I was wondering that you don't need to import the vehicle unless you have established a residence in Canada. In my case, I will still have my residence in USA.
Its not necessary to have a residence but you can import it when you move from US with your goods permanently(before even having the place to live in Canada). Not everyone gets the apartment/house while moving permanently hence you can import while moving.

Yes you cant import it while visiting Canada just for soft landing or temporary visit as they will ask on why you import it now before even planning/moving to settle yet.

sharadsinha

Star Member
Feb 7, 2015
IF you are landing in Canada as PR you may bring all your stuff including your vehicle (without paying taxes). If you plan to bring something later prepare a document ( Goods to follow later) with its picture, price and some identification ( VIN number in case of vehicles) and get the same stamped from the Canadian customs on the first landing. You may use that document to bring your car later without paying any customs duty. The same applies to other valuables like jewellery, furniture, electronics or any product you wish to bring later( not while first landing).

RaghuR

Star Member
Feb 2, 2019
IF you are landing in Canada as PR you may bring all your stuff including your vehicle (without paying taxes). If you plan to bring something later prepare a document ( Goods to follow later) with its picture, price and some identification ( VIN number in case of vehicles) and get the same stamped from the Canadian customs on the first landing. You may use that document to bring your car later without paying any customs duty. The same applies to other valuables like jewellery, furniture, electronics or any product you wish to bring later( not while first landing).
Hi, Is VIN mandatory? I am planning to change my car but that might happen after I do soft landing this week.

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Hi, Is VIN mandatory? I am planning to change my car but that might happen after I do soft landing this week.
Change your car? If you change your car, you have to pay taxes later. Yes, they will ask for your make,model and serial number of your vehicle. I am not sue if you can get away just by writing the make and model and get it stamped. When you say change are you going to own it or financed?

RaghuR

Star Member
Feb 2, 2019
Change your car? If you change your car, you have to pay taxes later. Yes, they will ask for your make,model and serial number of your vehicle. I am not sue if you can get away just by writing the make and model and get it stamped. When you say change are you going to own it or financed?
Thanks for your response
Some other member responded saying he managed it without VIN
I am thinking I’ll give it a shot . If they don’t accept it I would return without landing and go back when I have the car (plan to buy in cash). I am in Detroit so going again isn’t a problem. Do you see a problem with that ie returning without completing the formalities?

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Thanks for your response
Some other member responded saying he managed it without VIN
I am thinking I’ll give it a shot . If they don’t accept it I would return without landing and go back when I have the car (plan to buy in cash). I am in Detroit so going again isn’t a problem. Do you see a problem with that ie returning without completing the formalities?
It wouldn’t be like they wont accept. Generally the GTF form is the last one youll be asked to fill once done with your landing formalities. Atleast for us its that way,again not sure if anything changed.

So, as major part completes in the beginning itself you may not have chance to return without filling GTF. If you wanna take a shot, enter the make and model of the car you are planning to buy, leave the VIN.

But i read/came to know detroit border landing is not so friendly/smooth for everyone. So please plan accordingly.