+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Importing car to Canada from US (no bill of sale)

Fpm800

Star Member
Jun 26, 2017
Hello everyone, I have been granted permanent residency and will be leaving with my fiance in a few weeks (third week of March). We have cars which we want to bring with us into Canada. One is on my name and the other is on her name. We have the title from the USA for both cars but we do no have a bill of sale. Everywhere I see it says that we need a bill of sale together with the vehicle's title. Does anyone know if this is true? Has anyone imported a car into Canada without a bill of sale? I am in the process getting Internal Transit Number and the same questions apply regarding not having a bill of sale. Any information regarding this will be appreciated.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
I didn't require my bill of sale when I imported mine, but then mine was imported prior to the change requiring the ITN and such. I think the bill of sale is likely for a portion of this process you aren't actually utilizing.

The bill of sale would be required if a 'shipper' were shipping a vehicle recently purchased in the states with a destination in Canada and a new owner.

As long as both of your titles are clear (cars a both fully paid off with no liens) then you shouldn't have any trouble exporting them to Canada.

Fpm800

Star Member
Jun 26, 2017
I didn't require my bill of sale when I imported mine, but then mine was imported prior to the change requiring the ITN and such. I think the bill of sale is likely for a portion of this process you aren't actually utilizing.

The bill of sale would be required if a 'shipper' were shipping a vehicle recently purchased in the states with a destination in Canada and a new owner.

As long as both of your titles are clear (cars a both fully paid off with no liens) then you shouldn't have any trouble exporting them to Canada.
Thank you

Tanya8291

Dec 2, 2017
Hi guys.Me ad my husband are planing to move to New Brunswick beginning of April and we are taking our car with us.Do you know how much will cost us at the USA and Canada borders to export and import the car. And what is the procedure? Thank you in advance.