Impact of Federal PR to current status in Quebec

RK2017

Star Member
Feb 20, 2017
Calgary
Job Offer........
Yes
Hello all,

i completed one year in Montreal(status work permit). my work permit is extended till 2019.

Now, i would like to know,
What would be the impact to my current status if i apply for federal PR and get PR.?

can i still continue and work in montreal even after my federal PR?

Note: I am opting for federal PR because of huge timelines of CSQ-> PR.

Thanks
RK

RK2017

Star Member
Feb 20, 2017
Calgary
Job Offer........
Yes
thank you. i went through the thread. Few pointers still searching for answers

1. Can i still work in montreal after getting federal PR.
2. RAMQ services will not be eligible. pls confirm. are there any exceptions/alternatives?
3. are there any other benefits / services will not be eligible?
4. what will be the eligible criteria for kids schools?
5. How does the employment taxation works in this case?

I am currently in Montreal with family(myself, spouse, two kids under age of 9).

Thanks
RK

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014

2. RAMQ services will not be eligible. pls confirm. are there any exceptions/alternatives?

I am currently in Montreal with family(myself, spouse, two kids under age of 9).

Thanks
RK
Could you please post in above mentioned thread? Hopefully someone will chip-in.

poisonapple

Nov 3, 2014
Montreal
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Sydney/Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-11-2016
AOR Received.
15-02-2017
Med's Done....
20-04-2017
Passport Req..

Thanks
RK
1. Yes
2.You willl have to opt for private insurance if you don't get RAMQ coverage .
3.you should be entitled for all the federal benefits ...
4.You will have to send them to French medium .
5.It will remain same as you have had on work permit .

srm057

Dec 30, 2015
Montreal Quebec
Visa Office......
CIO-SYDNEY
App. Filed.......
23-02-2016
AOR Received.
04-04-2016
Med's Request
25-07-2016
Med's Done....
28-07-2016; Recvd 12-08-2016
Passport Req..
08-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
17-02-2017
LANDED..........
27-06-2017
How are you going to show your intent to live outside Quebec? When you apply for Federal PR instead of CSQ->PR you need to show your intent to live outside Quebec.

You can apply for federal PR while living in Quebec but you need to sign a form to show your intent to live outside Quebec.

RK2017

Star Member
Feb 20, 2017
Calgary
Job Offer........
Yes
How are you going to show your intent to live outside Quebec? When you apply for Federal PR instead of CSQ->PR you need to show your intent to live outside Quebec.

You can apply for federal PR while living in Quebec but you need to sign a form to show your intent to live outside Quebec.
this question is there in mind too. signing the paper seems to be a formality. isnt it ? does it restricts us in working from Montreal after Federal PR?

srm057

Dec 30, 2015
Montreal Quebec
Visa Office......
CIO-SYDNEY
App. Filed.......
23-02-2016
AOR Received.
04-04-2016
Med's Request
25-07-2016
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
08-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
17-02-2017
LANDED..........
27-06-2017
this question is there in mind too. signing the paper seems to be a formality. isnt it ? does it restricts us from working from Montreal after Federal PR?
In my opinion, signing any form for Government application is never a formality. Maybe, nobody will follow up and everything will be OK. On the other hand, if someone will followup, it will be viewed as falsifying in PR application.

I understand sometimes we have circumstances where we have to figure out a way to get PR asap, However, if it is not critical, I would recommend going through CSQ-Federal process to avoid any future hiccup.

If you are worried that your work permit will expire before you will get through your PR process. There is a closed work permit option for CSQ holders. Your employer will need to pay $230 (without LMIA) once to extend your work permit for 2 more years.

Betula

Aug 30, 2017
Category........
QSW
In my opinion, signing any form for Government application is never a formality. Maybe, nobody will follow up and everything will be OK. On the other hand, if someone will followup, it will be viewed as falsifying in PR application.

I understand sometimes we have circumstances where we have to figure out a way to get PR asap, However, if it is not critical, I would recommend going through CSQ-Federal process to avoid any future hiccup.

If you are worried that your work permit will expire before you will get through your PR process. There is a closed work permit option for CSQ holders. Your employer will need to pay $230 (without LMIA) once to extend your work permit for 2 more years.
I agree. If it was just as simple as that, that every Quebec PR applicant just applies in express entry and provides a letter explaining why they will not stay in Quebec.... hell, we would all be doing that! Why would anyone bother with the brain-shrinking, mind-numbing, forever-taking CSQ-path?
Still, I guess you can try but I think it will be totally dependent on your luck with the visa officer. And if you get someone who does not buy your story, you've just wasted 6+ months of time and $$$ during which you could have gotten a CSQ and applied a work permit :) I'm also sure that they will start to check people at some point, if EE applications with intent to move out of Quebec without solid proof (bought a house, got a job etc.) start to accumulate from Quebec residents.

Reactions: poisonapple

poisonapple

Nov 3, 2014
Montreal
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Sydney/Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-11-2016
AOR Received.
15-02-2017
Med's Done....
20-04-2017
Passport Req..
I agree. If it was just as simple as that, that every Quebec PR applicant just applies in express entry and provides a letter explaining why they will not stay in Quebec.... hell, we would all be doing that! Why would anyone bother with the brain-shrinking, mind-numbing, forever-taking CSQ-path?
Still, I guess you can try but I think it will be totally dependent on your luck with the visa officer. And if you get someone who does not buy your story, you've just wasted 6+ months of time and $$$ during which you could have gotten a CSQ and applied a work permit :) I'm also sure that they will start to check people at some point, if EE applications with intent to move out of Quebec without solid proof (bought a house, got a job etc.) start to accumulate from Quebec residents.
Definitely they will be looking at it and they have means to track , it's just currently busy with other things and things come back as after there are many further things ... so it's better not to give any false intentions ...

RK2017

Star Member
Feb 20, 2017
Calgary
Job Offer........
Yes
I totally agree. it all depends on how much risk appetite any individual has in taking the approach. some one who has time in hand surely opts for CSQ->PR. if some ones career is at stake and their stay in canada is at stake then they may take risky approach of Federal PR and continue working in Quebec. there are lot more of such cases now a days. Quebec govt should look at speeding up the CSQ-> PR approach in terms of timelines.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
I totally agree. it all depends on how much risk appetite any individual has in taking the approach. some one who has time in hand surely opts for CSQ->PR. if some ones career is at stake and their stay in canada is at stake then they may take risky approach of Federal PR and continue working in Quebec. there are lot more of such cases now a days. Quebec govt should look at speeding up the CSQ-> PR approach in terms of timelines.
In my opinion Quebec residents who are:
a) Open to work outside Quebec AND
b) Have not applied for PR via QSW AND
c) Want their PR faster AND
d) Have sufficient CRS score AND
e) Are OK with loss of EE application fees.

should definitely apply via EE.

Worst case scenario their EE app will get rejected in 1-2 months after submission and they can then continue with QSW. This EE rejection won't impact future QSW application.

Last edited:
Reactions: RK2017

poisonapple

Nov 3, 2014
Montreal
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Sydney/Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-11-2016
AOR Received.
15-02-2017
Med's Done....
20-04-2017
Passport Req..
d) Have sufficient CRS score

Worst case scenario their EE app will get rejected in 1-2 months after submission and they can then continue with QSW. This EE rejection won't impact future QSW application.
Very well said ... EE is way way faster if you are eligible (a,b,d -above)

srm057

Dec 30, 2015
Montreal Quebec
Visa Office......
CIO-SYDNEY
App. Filed.......
23-02-2016
AOR Received.
04-04-2016
Med's Request
25-07-2016
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
08-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
17-02-2017
LANDED..........
27-06-2017
d) Have sufficient CRS score AND
e) Are OK with loss of EE application fees.

@APPNOV2014NY I totally agree with you if the scenario is to leave your job in Quebec after getting PR and move to another province. My concern is if you are working in a company in Quebec and continue working on it after getting your PR. It can be a big issue. If you are willing to sacrifice your job to get your PR faster or you plan to change your job right after your PR then you should go for it.

My concern is not that EE application will be rejected. It will happen in no time but most likely it will go through and you may have trouble after 1 year once you will file your tax in Quebec after getting your PR through the express entry.

The safest way would be to apply for EE and go through the application process. Once you are near to get your PR you should start looking for jobs outside Quebec very seriously. When you will get your new PR and a new job offer from outside Quebec you can move and do the landing. I wish Good Luck to everybody.

Reactions: APPNOV2014NY

cherti

Aug 25, 2015
Category........
QSW
@APPNOV2014NY I totally agree with you if the scenario is to leave your job in Quebec after getting PR and move to another province. My concern is if you are working in a company in Quebec and continue working on it after getting your PR. It can be a big issue. If you are willing to sacrifice your job to get your PR faster or you plan to change your job right after your PR then you should go for it.

My concern is not that EE application will be rejected. It will happen in no time but most likely it will go through and you may have trouble after 1 year once you will file your tax in Quebec after getting your PR through the express entry.

The safest way would be to apply for EE and go through the application process. Once you are near to get your PR you should start looking for jobs outside Quebec very seriously. When you will get your new PR and a new job offer from outside Quebec you can move and do the landing. I wish Good Luck to everybody.
Ethically its a good idea to move out of Quebec if you get PR by EE.

There are many landing in Quebec and moving away from Quebec within a short period of time. The problem is finding a job and the school situation of their kids. Imagine an 8th or 9th grader exposed to all subjects in French. They get sent to a welcome for an year or two before real school !!
( I personally despise Bill 101 and the language police )
Because of all these, they just move to other provinces after getting their PR card. In this case, its vice versa.

Once you have PR card, no matter what form you sign, the Canadian mobility laws trumps those. A PR holder can move,live, work freely anywhere in Canada including Quebec. Filing of taxes in Quebec & getting caught while working in Quebec with an EE PR is more of rumor I think.

Is there an evidence for this ? Can someone confirm a case like this ?