Immigration + Phd

pritirannot

Jul 28, 2010
India
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi All

I m new to this forum n my name is Priti, i m frm India n i wish to live, work and study in Canada.

Obviously, being new in this I hv many questions n wud appreciate ur suggestions, cooperation and support.

I wish to do Phd in Canada as well as live n wrk there. I hv 2 options for the same:
1. Either i apply for immigration nw..n after getting one apply for Phd frm Canada itself.
2. I apply for Phd from India (where i m currently living and wrking) itself.

My question is:
If I apply for Immigration and it got rejected somehow, taking the worst case (though i had undergone assessment and my score is positive), will I be able to apply for Phd later? Will my rejected immigration will cause some problem? Will universities take me despite of my failed immigration attempt?

Please guys need honest informations and suggestions!!!!!

HELP!!

daffodils05

Jun 16, 2010
Hello,
I am replying according to my understanding and knowledge, I might be wrong, so just consider this as a suggestion.

If your are qualifying as FSW1 according to new rules, then go for it, as New Dehli Visa Office is faster than other, and you might get your PR within One year. After that you can work and study in Canada as a Canadian.
On the other hand if you would get admission as a an Indian Student, you would be charged international student fee, which is much much more than a home student fee, but after getting PR you would be able to study with home study Fee.

Daffodils

lovebug

Aug 29, 2009
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
May 1st, 2009
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
August 26th, 2009
LANDED..........
June 11th, 2010
pritirannot said:
Hi All

I m new to this forum n my name is Priti, i m frm India n i wish to live, work and study in Canada.

Obviously, being new in this I hv many questions n wud appreciate ur suggestions, cooperation and support.

I wish to do Phd in Canada as well as live n wrk there. I hv 2 options for the same:
1. Either i apply for immigration nw..n after getting one apply for Phd frm Canada itself.
2. I apply for Phd from India (where i m currently living and wrking) itself.

My question is:
If I apply for Immigration and it got rejected somehow, taking the worst case (though i had undergone assessment and my score is positive), will I be able to apply for Phd later? Will my rejected immigration will cause some problem? Will universities take me despite of my failed immigration attempt?

Please guys need honest informations and suggestions!!!!!

HELP!!
I would say since you have enough points for your PR application, go ahead with it. If you are successful, you’ll have great advantage (financially) to get into a PhD program of your choice. Even if you can’t get through, I don’t think It will have any impact on your future application because you will be applying as an international student, which has its own requirements.
Being a PR opens many doors for you in Canada, so this should be your first priority. You’ll save both time and money.
Good luck!

pritirannot

Jul 28, 2010
India
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lovebug said:
I would say since you have enough points for your PR application, go ahead with it. If you are successful, you'll have great advantage (financially) to get into a PhD program of your choice. Even if you can't get through, I don't think It will have any impact on your future application because you will be applying as an international student, which has its own requirements.
Being a PR opens many doors for you in Canada, so this should be your first priority. You'll save both time and money.
Good luck!

jeby

Jan 19, 2010
Kerala, India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Request
15-12-2009
Med's Done....
11-01-2010
Passport Req..
15-12-2009
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2010
Hi Priti,

Welcome to the forum... I think Daffodil05 has posted a good reply. As he replied, if you are an immigrant, the fee is highly subsidized. (You might have surfed through some of the websites of Canadian schools !). But onee problem may be, the qualification you have acquired from India will not suffice for direct admission to Ph.D in some subjects (You have not mentioned your area of study/ subject). For Ph.D most of the Universities offers Scholarships/ TAs. Admission Requirements vary with programs and Schools. Most of them direct you to take English Language Certification. If you have not gone through websites of some of the Schools, do it at the earliest.

The process of assessment for Student visa and immigration visa are entirely different. I feel, the decision on an immigration visa (if unfortunately, it is -ve) will not affect your application for student visa.

all the best

pritirannot

Jul 28, 2010
India
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jeby, indeed direct admission is nt possible....i hv contacted few colleges for phd n they need IELTS score (which is compulsory for immigration as well) and GMAT/GRE score. BUT for scholarships, I need to prepare one research paper, else fees are very high!!! :)

I am willing to do Phd in International Management!!....to be specific in logisitcs/SCM area.

kumar5

Star Member
Apr 18, 2010
To do Phd from caada in INtl student basis is much tough as reqs much money thatn to do phd as an canadian PR . SO folow that.....

Invictus

Star Member
May 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-01-2010
Doc's Request.
24-02-2010
AOR Received.
13-04-2010
IELTS Request
24-02-2010
File Transfer...
03-03-2010
Med's Request
20-07-2010
Med's Done....
01-09-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
30-09-2010 Decision Made: 19-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
26-10-2010
PhD pursuit in Saskatchewan, British Columbia, Manitoba or Alberta

Hi all,

I have completed my medical examination this morning and sent RPRF today as well. I was wondering if there is anyone in this group planning to pursue PhD in Saskatchewan, British Columbia, Manitoba or any other province. If someone is in the pursuit of applying for MS/PhD, please post a message. Would love to share few important details.
I am planning for a PhD in Management discipline. I hold an MBA from United Kingdom. No GRE/GMAT. TOEFLE above 100 iBT. Publications are in pipe line. Need your advice on choosing province and universities with greatest possibility of getting funds.

Thank you