+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Immigration officers/moving

Ririace

Jan 17, 2020
Hi, I am very much desperate for answers and need any help I can get.
I am a dual citizen both Canadian and US. I have my Canadian passport but not my US passport as it’s been lost but I do have my US birth certificate and documents. I do not want to do my passport here(cad) and wait a long time due to the fact that I just want to leave this area for my happiness. I want to move to the US ASAP as in a week or two. but that’s the thing. If an immigration officer at the airport were to ask me “why are you going and for how long” what do I say? Because I don’t have my US passport. Do I tell him I’m planning on getting a new US passport done in the US right the moment I get there (which I will be) or ? Please help!!!

Last edited:

canhyd3008

Star Member
Sep 3, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-Jun-2014
Nomination.....
07-Oct-2014
Med's Request
13-Nov-2-14
Med's Done....
06-Dec-2014
I am a dual citizen both Canadian and US. I have my Canadian passport but not my US passport as it’s been lost but I do have my US birth certificate and documents. I want to move to the us ASAP but that’s the thing. If an immigration officer at the airport were to ask me “why are you going and for how long” what do I say? Because I don’t have my US passport. Do I tell him I’m planning on getting a new US passport done in the US right the moment I get there (which I will be) or ? Please help!!!
If you have all the documentation with you, can can apply for a US passport in US Embassy/Consulate in Canada, you don't need to go to US for that

Ririace

Jan 17, 2020
If you have all the documentation with you, can can apply for a US passport in US Embassy/Consulate in Canada, you don't need to go to US for that
I’m trying to move in 2 weeks, because I know getting a new passport can take up to a few months, my general plan was to move asap get that out of the way to then do my new passport there?

Dr_Midnite

Jun 9, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-01-2014
Doc's Request.
21-03-2014
AOR Received.
19-02-2014
IELTS Request
With Application
Med's Request
14-07-2014
Med's Done....
31-07-2014
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 30-10-2014
LANDED..........
15-11-2014
You should also report your passport as lost so it is cancelled, then apply for an emergency travel document.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I am a dual citizen both Canadian and US. I have my Canadian passport but not my US passport as it’s been lost but I do have my US birth certificate and documents. I do not want to do my passport here(cad) and wait a long time due to the fact that I just want to leave this area for my happiness. I want to move to the US ASAP as in a week or two. but that’s the thing. If an immigration officer at the airport were to ask me “why are you going and for how long” what do I say? Because I don’t have my US passport. Do I tell him I’m planning on getting a new US passport done in the US right the moment I get there (which I will be) or ? Please help!!!
As a U.S. citizen you should be allowed entry into the U.S. despite not having a U.S. passport.

As a U.S. citizen you must declare yourself to be a U.S. citizen upon entering the U.S. even though you do not have a U.S. passport to present.

And they know anyway. The border officials should be able to easily verify your U.S. citizenship. Especially if you present your U.S. birth certificate.

Generally border officials may give a returning U.S. citizen a hard time about not having and presenting their U.S. passport. Can range from a mild admonishment by the PIL officer ("be sure to have your U.S. passport the next time") all the way to a rather severe dressing-down in Secondary. End result is the same: advised to have U.S. passport next time and allowed into the U.S.

You have a reason for not presenting your U.S. passport. Of course a police report verifying when and the circumstances in which it was lost, and duly reported to local law enforcement, would be more appropriate than first announcing the loss of government property (the U.S. passport is, of course, NOT your property but government property entrusted to you for your use to document status) upon arrival at a PoE. But in any event, your explanation for not having your U.S. passport should help make things go smoother at the PoE into the U.S. (since you are not deliberately flaunting U.S. policy which requires U.S. citizens to ONLY enter the U.S. as a U.S. citizen presenting proper identification, such as certain U.S. state issued identification or drivers license, or a U.S. passport).

Obviously, however, if border officials have any reason to question or doubt your identity and U.S. citizenship, the PoE examination can take longer and involve some additional questioning and inquiries. Canadian passport plus U.S. state birth certificate should easily avoid such questions. But if the border officials are not sure of your identity, that could lead to more a more in-depth examination delaying entry for minutes or hours. (For reasons too complicated to explain here, even though I presented a U.S. passport I was once bogged down in a rather confrontational, almost hostile, and rather long PoE hold while the officers pursued verification of my identity; not much the traveler can do but be calm, polite, and patient, and wait it out.)

Reactions: Ririace

Ririace

Jan 17, 2020
As a U.S. citizen you should be allowed entry into the U.S. despite not having a U.S. passport.

As a U.S. citizen you must declare yourself to be a U.S. citizen upon entering the U.S. even though you do not have a U.S. passport to present.

And they know anyway. The border officials should be able to easily verify your U.S. citizenship. Especially if you present your U.S. birth certificate.

Generally border officials may give a returning U.S. citizen a hard time about not having and presenting their U.S. passport. Can range from a mild admonishment by the PIL officer ("be sure to have your U.S. passport the next time") all the way to a rather severe dressing-down in Secondary. End result is the same: advised to have U.S. passport next time and allowed into the U.S.

You have a reason for not presenting your U.S. passport. Of course a police report verifying when and the circumstances in which it was lost, and duly reported to local law enforcement, would be more appropriate than first announcing the loss of government property (the U.S. passport is, of course, NOT your property but government property entrusted to you for your use to document status) upon arrival at a PoE. But in any event, your explanation for not having your U.S. passport should help make things go smoother at the PoE into the U.S. (since you are not deliberately flaunting U.S. policy which requires U.S. citizens to ONLY enter the U.S. as a U.S. citizen presenting proper identification, such as certain U.S. state issued identification or drivers license, or a U.S. passport).

Obviously, however, if border officials have any reason to question or doubt your identity and U.S. citizenship, the PoE examination can take longer and involve some additional questioning and inquiries. Canadian passport plus U.S. state birth certificate should easily avoid such questions. But if the border officials are not sure of your identity, that could lead to more a more in-depth examination delaying entry for minutes or hours. (For reasons too complicated to explain here, even though I presented a U.S. passport I was once bogged down in a rather confrontational, almost hostile, and rather long PoE hold while the officers pursued verification of my identity; not much the traveler can do but be calm, polite, and patient, and wait it out.)
this actually relieved some of the stress I had about it thank you!