+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Immigration Negligence/ System Flaw

hulksnake2

May 9, 2013
Hello everyone,

I am writing to inform about a situation where my work permit extension got refused. I blame immigration and here's why:

1. I was requested, by the case processing officer, to provide additional documents (my nomination and letter of support) on September 9, 2019 (deadline: September 16, 2019). These documents were required to be submitted through my online account.
  2. Unfortunately, there was an issue where there was no "upload documents" section under my online application. It was simply a blank page. I created a technical issue for that page and the response came after the deadline without any actual resolution. This was done the next day i.e. September 10, 2019.
  3. I called immigration just to be safe on September 11, 2019 and told the agent of how I cannot upload the documents directly into my account. She instructed that I submit such through their online webform. However, I told her that my nomination and letter of support have a password on it to which she said that I type the password in the message box of the webform.
  4. On September 18, after the deadline, I received an email from immigration stating that they received the PDF but were unable to open the password-protected file. The reason was not provided and I was told to resubmit the file again. Also, they did not mention that I remove password nor does it say anywhere on their website that they do not accept password-protected files. As a result, my file was never forwarded to the case processing officer, who based on not receiving documents, refused my application.
  5. I then applied for reconsideration which was refused based on the fact that I did not submit documents on time. I have sent them proof of emails and all other correspondences. They are not owning their mistake and want me to provide evidence of the conversation with the agent who told me to submit that initial webform with the password. They should have call records and I don't. Canadian cellular providers do not record calls. I have provided them the call logs from my phone and my phone bill statement. That is all I could provide.

It has been 3 months that I have been struggling with this situation and with no outcome. All I was asking for them was to give me a permit despite all that happened. They clearly do not want to accept fault and instead make me suffer. Also, the password provided was correct and was put on my PDF by provincial immigration.

I lost my management position and a considerable amount of salary. Has anyone had a similar experience? if yes, what was the outcome? I cannot file for a judicial review as you get 15 days from the reconsideration and I was not even given that second refusal letter (not by post or email). I found out about the reconsideration refusal by calling them. The agent even told me that he had it resent and I still have not received it.

Thank you.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hello everyone,

I am writing to inform about a situation where my work permit extension got refused. I blame immigration and here's why:

1. I was requested, by the case processing officer, to provide additional documents (my nomination and letter of support) on September 9, 2019 (deadline: September 16, 2019). These documents were required to be submitted through my online account.
  2. Unfortunately, there was an issue where there was no "upload documents" section under my online application. It was simply a blank page. I created a technical issue for that page and the response came after the deadline without any actual resolution. This was done the next day i.e. September 10, 2019.
  3. I called immigration just to be safe on September 11, 2019 and told the agent of how I cannot upload the documents directly into my account. She instructed that I submit such through their online webform. However, I told her that my nomination and letter of support have a password on it to which she said that I type the password in the message box of the webform.
  4. On September 18, after the deadline, I received an email from immigration stating that they received the PDF but were unable to open the password-protected file. The reason was not provided and I was told to resubmit the file again. Also, they did not mention that I remove password nor does it say anywhere on their website that they do not accept password-protected files. As a result, my file was never forwarded to the case processing officer, who based on not receiving documents, refused my application.
  5. I then applied for reconsideration which was refused based on the fact that I did not submit documents on time. I have sent them proof of emails and all other correspondences. They are not owning their mistake and want me to provide evidence of the conversation with the agent who told me to submit that initial webform with the password. They should have call records and I don't. Canadian cellular providers do not record calls. I have provided them the call logs from my phone and my phone bill statement. That is all I could provide.

It has been 3 months that I have been struggling with this situation and with no outcome. All I was asking for them was to give me a permit despite all that happened. They clearly do not want to accept fault and instead make me suffer. Also, the password provided was correct and was put on my PDF by provincial immigration.

I lost my management position and a considerable amount of salary. Has anyone had a similar experience? if yes, what was the outcome? I cannot file for a judicial review as you get 15 days from the reconsideration and I was not even given that second refusal letter (not by post or email). I found out about the reconsideration refusal by calling them. The agent even told me that he had it resent and I still have not received it.

Thank you.
1. CIC or any other department is not going to open a password protected document. They don't know what is in the document and they are not going to take the chance that there is a virus embedded in it.

2. Why didn't you open it and send the PDF without the password?

3. Good luck trying to get leave to appeal at the Federal Court.

Reactions: k.h.p.

hulksnake2

May 9, 2013
Hi

1. CIC or any other department is not going to open a password protected document. They don't know what is in the document and they are not going to take the chance that there is a virus embedded in it.

2. Why didn't you open it and send the PDF without the password?

3. Good luck trying to get leave to appeal at the Federal Court.
Viruses can be easily embedded into files without passwords too. My file came with a password on it and I have verified that the password works. As mentioned before, I called immigration asking about what to do with the password, to which the agent said that I write it in the message box of the webform.

PAINKILLER28

Jan 24, 2018
I have email proof that mine had a password.
Don't take this the wrong way ,I am not saying you are lying or anything . It's just so weird that they did that . I have some friends that went through BC pnp and I have never heard of it .

Anyway , you should have got rid of the password protection anyhow , for tha reason stated above and they just can't be bothered with it .

dotslash227

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2019
Hello everyone,

Thank you.
If you feel the system wronged you. You should write to your local MP or Justin Tredeau or the Minister for IRCC.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Viruses can be easily embedded into files without passwords too. My file came with a password on it and I have verified that the password works. As mentioned before, I called immigration asking about what to do with the password, to which the agent said that I write it in the message box of the webform.
Not much to add beyond what has already been said but people should continue to realise that IRCC agents reached on the phone work in a call center often to a script and are not the actual visa officers processing applications so their advice might sound common sense but often anything out of the ordinary a VO will likely not process.

Reactions: k.h.p.

hulksnake2

May 9, 2013
If you feel the system wronged you. You should write to your local MP or Justin Tredeau or the Minister for IRCC.
I already spoke to an MP who failed to get anything out of them. Immigration is asking that I provide the actual phone conversation (as proof) where the agent told me to use the password-protected file. She said she will try again on Monday (fingers crossed).

They also advised me to cross the border and get a work permit through Border Security instead. What absurdity is that?

hulksnake2

May 9, 2013
Not much to add beyond what has already been said but people should continue to realise that IRCC agents reached on the phone work in a call center often to a script and are not the actual visa officers processing applications so their advice might sound common sense but often anything out of the ordinary a VO will likely not process.
So what I am understanding based on the answers is that we should not call immigration agents at all or if we do we must record conversations. The file never reached the officer because a webform application first goes to an agent and then to an officer.