+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Immigration Base Plan

Carllanch

Nov 19, 2019
Hi, setting a goal like everyone else is fairly easy, but it's easier said than done.
I have a plan in mind, but I'm not sure if it's good enough.
I'm 24 years old, single, have a Bachelors degree in Science (Geographic Information Systems) and the energy of a 12 year old boy with one goal in mind.
My first step is to apply for permanent residency in Canada. After I'm in the country, the first thing I'll do is open a bank account and deposit all my savings in it. After that, I'll any job, not necessarily in my field of study, but anything like delivering payloads, librarian, bagboy, working in a supermarket, basically anything that'll keep me going. I'll be making for example 15$ to 18$ an hour at 40hrs/week. I know these numbers are taxable, and the other taxes am gonna pay. But is that bad? Will the taxes pose an issue by which I'll be barely making money to feed myself and keep going? After making money, and after 3 years I'll apply for the citizenship. Next I'll enroll in some institution or university to get a masters degree or certificate in my field of study. By then I'd have gained canadian experience, and a degree from a Canadian institution. Only then will I apply for jobs in my field of study.
Please share your thoughts, especially the ones who went through this laborious process. Will I be able to make it with this plan?
Much appreciated!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi, setting a goal like everyone else is fairly easy, but it's easier said than done.
I'm 24 years old, single, have a Bachelors degree in Science (Geographic Information Systems) and the energy of a 12 year old boy with one goal in mind.
My first step is to apply for permanent residency in Canada. After I'm in the country, the first thing I'll do is open a bank account and deposit all my savings in it. After that, I'll any job, not necessarily in my field of study, but anything like delivering payloads, librarian, bagboy, working in a supermarket, basically anything that'll keep me going. I'll be making for example 15$ to 18$ an hour at 40hrs/week. I know these numbers are taxable, and the other taxes am gonna pay. But is that bad? Will the taxes pose an issue by which I'll be barely making money to feed myself and keep going? After making money, and after 3 years I'll apply for the citizenship. Next I'll enroll in some institution or university to get a masters degree or certificate in my field of study. By then I'd have gained canadian experience, and a degree from a Canadian institution. Only then will I apply for jobs in my field of study.
Please share your thoughts, especially the ones who went through this laborious process. Will I be able to make it with this plan?
Much appreciated!
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada.html

Reactions: Carllanch

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Much appreciated!
It sounds like you don’t have (enough) work experience yet, which is an absolute requirement to apply for economic immigration. Or do you? In any case, Express Entry favors mid/late-20s applicants

anyway you’re also qualified for domestic tuition fees and student grants and loans even when you land as a PR; you don’t have to wait for citizenship or earning savings

Carllanch

Nov 19, 2019
It sounds like you don’t have (enough) work experience yet, which is an absolute requirement to apply for economic immigration. Or do you? In any case, Express Entry favors mid/late-20s applicants

anyway you’re also qualified for domestic tuition fees and student grants and loans even when you land as a PR; you don’t have to wait for citizenship or earning savings
Sorry I forgot to mention the work experience. I have 2 years of work experience as a part-timer. By title or name, I'm a part-timer, but throughout these 2 years, I worked as a full-timer, since I have nothing else but this job. I'm still a part-timer. I work and have worked (in all companies I was part of) between 45 and 50 hours per week.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Sorry I forgot to mention the work experience. I have 2 years of work experience as a part-timer. By title or name, I'm a part-timer, but throughout these 2 years, I worked as a full-timer, since I have nothing else but this job. I'm still a part-timer. I work and have worked (in all companies I was part of) between 45 and 50 hours per week.
still doesn’t seem like enough yet in my estimate, although I am not as familiar with part time hours rules. You’ll have to check yourself.

anyway, after you land as PR, you’re free to do whatever you want. I guess your plan is actually more dependent on the job prospects in your field.

Carllanch

Nov 19, 2019
still doesn’t seem like enough yet in my estimate, although I am not as familiar with part time hours rules. You’ll have to check yourself.

anyway, after you land as PR, you’re free to do whatever you want. I guess your plan is actually more dependent on the job prospects in your field.
I understand.
After settling in, I can start working in anything and from there make enough money to keep going and fully settle in. I was stressing more on the taxes part. If I worked in a full-time job (13-15$/hr and 40hrs/week), even with the taxes on my salary, will I still be able to keep going?

Jets13

Dec 12, 2016
I understand.
After settling in, I can start working in anything and from there make enough money to keep going and fully settle in. I was stressing more on the taxes part. If I worked in a full-time job (13-15$/hr and 40hrs/week), even with the taxes on my salary, will I still be able to keep going?
Of course there are people who can earn a living on just minimum wage. Would also depend on which city you choose to live in as not all have the same cost of living. Just note that it will not leave much for savings or other extra curricular activities. Sometimes people had a better quality of life in their home countries than working labor jobs in Canada. For example, in India many have drivers, maids, cooks etc....but when they come to Canada they have to work hard.

Carllanch

Nov 19, 2019
Of course there are people who can earn a living on just minimum wage. Would also depend on which city you choose to live in as not all have the same cost of living. Just note that it will not leave much for savings or other extra curricular activities. Sometimes people had a better quality of life in their home countries than working labor jobs in Canada. For example, in India many have drivers, maids, cooks etc....but when they come to Canada they have to work hard.
Yes you're absolutely right. But it's the idea of advancing in your work and financial status, only when it comes to labor jobs. I know am gonna have to cut out some secondary needs, but as my account grows, I'll be accustomed to this lifestyle, ergo I'll be able to spend more and live the rest of my life in solitude. The first part will be gloomy, but what comes after hard work is a better life, plus it's worth it, given where I'm immigrating from. I'm basically running away from corruption and injustice towards a better life.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I understand.
There is no point in even worrying about this until you determine if you actually qualify to immigrate.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
I checked with different centers and lawyers. I'm good for it.
Fill this out and share your result here.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp

From personal experience, lawyers and centers easily say you're eligible to get you to sign up with them as a client. Most people with your profile are, but in reality, economic immigration programs are very competitive with too many eligible candidates and limited slots.

Reactions: Carllanch

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I got a grand total of 401.
Express Entry has never dropped that low. Unfortunately you have no chance of being selected through Express Entry directly. You'll need to look into the Provincial Nominee Programs - or substantially increase your score to have a chance of being selected through EE.