+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Immigration - 100% upfront, or just what thay need to know..

gary4554

Mar 22, 2013
Hi Everyone.

I have known my Filipina Girlfriend for 4 years. Next month we will be married. I am in Canada, she is working in Hong Kong.

There is nothing to impede an approval for me. I'm gainfully employed and pass all of the remaining requirements to sponsor.

My question is regarding my soon to be wife, and her past.

Jenna has been working legally in Hong Kong for nearly five years. Previous to Hong Kong, she worked in Taiwan for 7 years. Unfortunately, she worked in Taiwan using another persons passport. I won't go into the "why she did it" because it would serve no usefull purpose at this point.

I can say that she simply worked there, then went home to the Philippines for a year. Then legally Hong Kong.

My question is, since there is no evidence of her being in Taiwan using her real name and passport, and she never has any issues with the law while there.....Should we inform Immigration Canada of this? Is there such a thing as being too honest and upfront with immigration?

I want to be upfront with them, but in doing so, will immigration Canada tell me thank you for being honest, but she broke the law and the sponsorship is denied. Or do we just shut up, and simply not mention something that would be nearly (yes, there's always a tiny chance) impossible to find out unless we said something first.

Honestly, thanks to all who respond...hope you can offer some guideance here...

sheik

Star Member
Oct 14, 2006
Category........
Visa Office......
nairobi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-11-2012
AOR Received.
23-11-2012
File Transfer...
30-11-2012
Med's Done....
16-10-2012
Passport Req..
5-01-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-04-2013
LANDED..........
august 2013
hi gary4554,
trying to much honest with cic really do not work everytine,exceptionally your case where you are prooving that your would be wife is working on another passport, so illegal traficking, which cic would really not appreciate. make your application as genune as possible genuine name, no need to say she is workinng because it u=you who is sponsoring her otherwise you will mess u. may be someone else can give you better suggestion ,bye

user828

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi ( Parents Sponsorship )
App. Filed.......
19-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
gary4554 said:
Hi Everyone.

I have known my Filipina Girlfriend for 4 years. Next month we will be married. I am in Canada, she is working in Hong Kong.

There is nothing to impede an approval for me. I'm gainfully employed and pass all of the remaining requirements to sponsor.

Jenna has been working legally in Hong Kong for nearly five years. Previous to Hong Kong, she worked in Taiwan for 7 years. Unfortunately, she worked in Taiwan using another persons passport. I won't go into the "why she did it" because it would serve no usefull purpose at this point.

I can say that she simply worked there, then went home to the Philippines for a year. Then legally Hong Kong.

My question is, since there is no evidence of her being in Taiwan using her real name and passport, and she never has any issues with the law while there.....Should we inform Immigration Canada of this? Is there such a thing as being too honest and upfront with immigration?

I want to be upfront with them, but in doing so, will immigration Canada tell me thank you for being honest, but she broke the law and the sponsorship is denied. Or do we just shut up, and simply not mention something that would be nearly (yes, there's always a tiny chance) impossible to find out unless we said something first.

Using another person's passport is fraud, how do you think immigration will see that BUT you haven't mentioned any details about it so unless it was dire straits or a very compelling reason - but either ways immigration is capable to doing their own search so if they DO find it then it will be more trouble if you don't mention it

I am sure resident experts will agree, wait for other responses

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Your problems would show up if they either asked to see the passports for proof of travel history or if she was called to interview and tried to lie/cover up that travel history. I suspect that it would go horribly wrong at that point.

Life however is a risk, and it's your/her call as to how much to reveal. On here, you will get mixed answers, depending on each persons personal agenda. CIC will only be interested in what they perceive to be the truth. If it came out after she gained PR, they might revoke under misrepresentation.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
7 years is a long time! Since she never traveled on her own passport, there is no record of her ever being in Taiwan, and according to any checks that can be done she will have been in the Philippines during that entire time.

In all honesty if this was my situation, I would most likely not even mention Taiwan in the application. When filling out history of residence/employment for past 10 years, for the time in Taiwan I would state simply she was living in Philippines at regular family/parents address, and unemployed, during these 7 years. CIC will be more concerned about the more recent time spent living/working in Hong Kong, the police checks you will include from HK, and the fact she started her relationship with you during her time in HK.

I'm kind of conflicted about this since yes it is being dishonest to CIC, but I would be too scared that CIC would view traveling/working under false information a very serious offense, and reject the application altogether. I'm no legal expert and not telling you what to do, but just trying to be honest in what i would probably do. I'm sure you'll get a ton of different opinions here!

Tony3

Dec 16, 2011
Hi Gary4554,

I am going to agree with Rob_To on this issue, simply bcos there is no track of your wife to be having lived in Taiwan. Yes technically it is not right, but you risk being denied of your wife coming into Canada and above all - your marriage.

We all make decisions in our past life that we are somtimes not too happy about. The idea now should be for you and your wife to be a good law abiding Canadian when she gets here- and I am sure you both will be. All the best to you !!!! God bless

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
Pretty much agree, if you "mention" it, your application will come to a FULL stop since she'll never be able to a police clearance from Taiwan. If she was 'never there' on paper, then best keep it that way. Once you have decided, also suggest that you delete these posts (or at least your original one) . . . your application will be pending after all, anyone can read all of these.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I would be extremely surprised if CIC does not monitor these forums, and take notes.
Look for long time members with zero posts... ;D

Rattles

Star Member
Oct 12, 2011
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-10-2012
Doc's Request.
16-03-2013
AOR Received.
NA
File Transfer...
15-11-2012
Med's Done....
05-08-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
13-05-2013
LANDED..........
17-05-2013
If you tell them, I would think your package would be denied in all honesty. I may be wrong but it doesn't seem like they would look to well upon fraud. I am not telling you to lie or omit anything but I think you get the idea. Good luck and hope you make the right decision for you both, you have a bit of a difficult situation.

mameelynn

Oct 22, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo... I mean CPP Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/02/2012
Doc's Request.
06/06/2012
File Transfer...
03/07/2012
Med's Done....
16/12/2011
Passport Req..
12/12/12
VISA ISSUED...
31/01/2013
LANDED..........
04/2013
Rob_TO said:
I'm kind of conflicted about this since yes it is being dishonest to CIC, but I would be too scared that CIC would view traveling/working under false information a very serious offense, and reject the application altogether. I'm no legal expert and not telling you what to do, but just trying to be honest in what i would probably do. I'm sure you'll get a ton of different opinions here!
I know what you mean. I have been living with my husband in the USA without any papers (came across the boarder legally but have just stayed for the last almost 7 years) and although I haven't been working or anything like that we did not include that information on our paperwork. We simply said that we were wanting to relocate to Canada so our children would be closer to family and we felt it had more and better opportunities for our family. We were approved but I won't lie that there is a part of me that is worried I won't be able to come back to the US after we are in Canada even to visit! I would try to put a positive spin and as little info as possible about that timeframe!

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
The situation of the OP's wife is the same as the situation of inlimbo's husband. Inlimbo was honest with CIC. You can check her history to see how that turned out.

gsize

May 2, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009....denied Feb 2010.....appeal allowed (August 2012)..waiting for processing
Doc's Request.
04/04/2013
File Transfer...
30/01/2013
Med's Done....
04/2013 (second time)
Passport Req..
21/02, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
18/03/2014
LANDED..........
05/04/2014
try to be as honest as possible !!!!!! 8)

margobear96

Star Member
Dec 21, 2012
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP - Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 15, 2012 (rec'd)
AOR Received.
November 26, 2012
File Transfer...
November 26, 2012
Med's Done....
September 29, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
April 23, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
April 26, 2013 (rec'd May 2, 2013)
LANDED..........
May 4, 2013
Rob_TO said:
In all honesty if this was my situation, I would most likely not even mention Taiwan in the application. When filling out history of residence/employment for past 10 years, for the time in Taiwan I would state simply she was living in Philippines at regular family/parents address, and unemployed, during these 7 years. CIC will be more concerned about the more recent time spent living/working in Hong Kong, the police checks you will include from HK, and the fact she started her relationship with you during her time in HK.

Ummm...the bolded part wouldn't just be "dishonest", it would be an intentional misrepresentation to CIC. And I'm pretty sure, if it ever came to their attention at any point, say, after she was in Canada for decades, it would be grounds for revoking PR and even citizenship. Honestly, ask a reputable immigration lawyer about your options.

Maddants

Champion Member
Oct 18, 2012
Kingston
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan. 23, 2012
AOR Received.
June 11, 2012
File Transfer...
June 26, 2012
Med's Request
Jan. 11, 2015
Med's Done....
Dec. 9, 2011 / Nov. 9, 2015
Interview........
Sept. 17, 2013
Passport Req..
February 29, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
March 7, 2016
LANDED..........
April 28, 2016
gary4554 said:
Hi Everyone.

hello there ......if i was you i would not mention that your wife travel to taiwan at all.....they only check on what you tell them.....i know a person that got deported from england and his brother from canada sent a woman friend to marry his brother...she filed for him..when they ask for the part to fill out where have you live for the past ten years, he just put that he live in guyana where he from... right now he is a citizen in canada.....so dont mention anything about taiwan at all....take the cahance and let them dig it up

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Maddants said:
hello there ......if i was you i would not mention that your wife travel to taiwan at all.....they only check on what you tell them.....i know a person that got deported from england and his brother from canada sent a woman friend to marry his brother...she filed for him..when they ask for the part to fill out where have you live for the past ten years, he just put that he live in guyana where he from... right now he is a citizen in canada.....so dont mention anything about taiwan at all....take the cahance and let them dig it up
This is, of course, why it now is harder for legitimate applications to be done quickly. So much immigration fraud.