+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Immigration - 100% upfront, or just what thay need to know..

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
margobear96 said:
Ummm...the bolded part wouldn't just be "dishonest", it would be an intentional misrepresentation to CIC. And I'm pretty sure, if it ever came to their attention at any point, say, after she was in Canada for decades, it would be grounds for revoking PR and even citizenship. Honestly, ask a reputable immigration lawyer about your options.
As i clearly stated, i'm no legal expert and this is just what i would most likely do if it was my situation. The relationship itself is long-term and genuine, and to me that is the most important thing. I can't see any way CIC would find out about this in the future, and after a PR is issued they won't care unless someone specifically tells them.

Its like say you robbed a bank a decade ago but weren't caught. You wouldn't volunteer any of this info on the application. If you do, there's a huge chance your app will be refused altogether.

IMO the more important things CIC is looking out for and that are actually detrimental to other Canadians, is fraudulent relationships, marriages of convenience, and violent criminal history. This case involves none of that. I'm sure put in the same situation, many people will think the same.

doljan

Sep 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
mnl
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
july 24, 2012
Doc's Request.
mar 25, 2013
Med's Done....
apr 24, 2012
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
mar 25, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
apr 8, 2013
LANDED..........
apr 22, 2013
i agree with rob....

if you inform CIC with what happened, i'm 80% sure that your application will be denied as CIC will see it as a BIG red flag....

anyway, there are no records showing that your wife was in Taiwan.

i'm also no legal experts, that is just my opinion.

Steph C

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 30 2012
Doc's Request.
N/A
File Transfer...
Sep 27 2012
Med's Request
April 15 2013 (re-med)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
March 18 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 22 2013
LANDED..........
June 6 2013
That is kind of incredibly awesome that somebody could live under another's name for so long. Your wife could be a spy! Let's hope she didn't marry someone else in Taiwan under that name too ::) Hopefully her past doesn't catch up with her due to the virality of the internet, facebook, etc.

Wyz

Star Member
Mar 24, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nov 2011
AOR Received.
Nov 2011
File Transfer...
Jan 2012, tfr to ISL May 2013
Med's Request
July 2014
Med's Done....
July 2014
gary4554 said:
Hi Everyone.

I have known my Filipina Girlfriend for 4 years. Next month we will be married. I am in Canada, she is working in Hong Kong.

There is nothing to impede an approval for me. I'm gainfully employed and pass all of the remaining requirements to sponsor.

My question is regarding my soon to be wife, and her past.

Jenna has been working legally in Hong Kong for nearly five years. Previous to Hong Kong, she worked in Taiwan for 7 years. Unfortunately, she worked in Taiwan using another persons passport. I won't go into the "why she did it" because it would serve no usefull purpose at this point.

I can say that she simply worked there, then went home to the Philippines for a year. Then legally Hong Kong.

My question is, since there is no evidence of her being in Taiwan using her real name and passport, and she never has any issues with the law while there.....Should we inform Immigration Canada of this? Is there such a thing as being too honest and upfront with immigration?

I want to be upfront with them, but in doing so, will immigration Canada tell me thank you for being honest, but she broke the law and the sponsorship is denied. Or do we just shut up, and simply not mention something that would be nearly (yes, there's always a tiny chance) impossible to find out unless we said something first.

Honestly, thanks to all who respond...hope you can offer some guideance here...
I'm going to give you an instance here, one of my friends who has been a citizen here since at least 15 years applied for a job and went through a security clearance with the government. Now, they asked him questions nonspecifically and recorded everything he told them. At the end, he failed to pass the clearance because his indirect relatives whom he has not seen or is not in touch with for 15 YEARS were involved in criminal activity sometime in the past and he did not think to mention it at all. The reasoning they gave for failing him was that he withheld information that was important although they never directly asked any question about his indirect relatives and he did not even know them for this time. Yet, they dug the info up and THAT was the reason they failed him. He said later that it did come into his mind that I should tell them, but he thought otherwise and did not bother.

No matter if they asked for it or not, they wanted to know.

In your case, I can't give any opinions on this due to the past track record of your wife...but I hope it turns out ok for you.

Kiwi12

Star Member
Nov 21, 2012
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
29-06-2012
File Transfer...
Interview........
Waived AIP:February 13, 2013
LANDED..........
December 20, 2013
It is not a fair question to ask people who are helping others, especially when it comes to illegal matters.

margobear96

Star Member
Dec 21, 2012
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP - Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 15, 2012 (rec'd)
AOR Received.
November 26, 2012
File Transfer...
November 26, 2012
Med's Done....
September 29, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
April 23, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
April 26, 2013 (rec'd May 2, 2013)
LANDED..........
May 4, 2013
Rob_TO said:
As i clearly stated, i'm no legal expert and this is just what i would most likely do if it was my situation. The relationship itself is long-term and genuine, and to me that is the most important thing. I can't see any way CIC would find out about this in the future, and after a PR is issued they won't care unless someone specifically tells them.

Its like say you robbed a bank a decade ago but weren't caught. You wouldn't volunteer any of this info on the application. If you do, there's a huge chance your app will be refused altogether.

IMO the more important things CIC is looking out for and that are actually detrimental to other Canadians, is fraudulent relationships, marriages of convenience, and violent criminal history. This case involves none of that. I'm sure put in the same situation, many people will think the same.
Do you know for sure that the application will be refused? I still think OP should ask a lawyer first....

Personally, I think you need to answer CIC's questions truthfully, but I don't think there is an obligation to disclose things they haven't asked about. For OP, it's a misrepresentation (i.e., lie) to say that the girlfriend was in the Philippines for 7 years when she was actually in Taiwan. On the other hand they don't ask if you've ever used a passport not your own -- why bring that part up? The only issue then is the Taiwanese police clearance. Did she have to register with the police in Taiwan when she arrived? Ask on this board what a Taiwanese police clearance looks like -- my UK and US ones basically say "no trace" or "no arrests" come up. At least the ones I have don't confirm identity...and my passport/nationality changed from when I lived in the UK and when I ordered the police clearance there. Basically, I'd go ahead and order the Taiwanese police clearance under the girlfriend's (real) name and see if anything comes up. If the police certificate looks okay (i.e., no statement in bold to the effect that "this person has never lived in Taiwan why did you order this"), I'd go ahead and apply -- say she lived in Taiwan, don't say anything about phony passports.

BTW you never want to lie under oath or on legal documents. I saw a documentary about marriage fraud (husband from Africa leaves Canadian wife a few weeks after landing) where the wife actually got a removal order for the husband -- but not for marriage fraud, for failing to disclose that he had a child on the forms. Chances are slim that CIC finds out, but why lie if you can make it work without literally going there.