+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

imm0008 - "highest level of education" options

neuroCanadian

Star Member
Aug 31, 2020
Ontario
Category........
Other

I'm trying to figure out which option to choose for my partner who has done 5 years of university studies in Mexico. He says he doesn't have any master's nor doctorate, and we don't think "post-secondary - no degree" would be correct... So we are trying to figure out if his university diploma and certificate are considered "bachelor's degree" or "post grad - no degree."

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

I'm trying to figure out which option to choose for my partner who has done 5 years of university studies in Mexico. He says he doesn't have any master's nor doctorate, and we don't think "post-secondary - no degree" would be correct... So we are trying to figure out if his university diploma and certificate are considered "bachelor's degree" or "post grad - no degree."
Bachelor's degree, assuming that his diploma is a standard university completion step. Post-secondary in Canadian parlance means after high school.

If he feels strongly that he did graduate level studies, he could put post grad/no degree. This would typically be used for starting a post-grad degree program (after being accepted into it) and not completing it, however, not just for having more years than standard for bachelor's. (Just taking some graduate level courses for example is not what is meant)

If this is you as PR/citizen sponsoring your spouse, it doesn't much matter for the purposes of his application.

Reactions: neuroCanadian

neuroCanadian

Star Member
Aug 31, 2020
Ontario
Category........
Other
If this is you
I’m the sponsor (Can citizen by birth) but never did any post-secondary. But he has a diploma from a Mexican university. He says that in Mexico, their high school is considered “post secondary” and is 3 years long, after which he “obtained a baccalaureate” - but I think the English terms are just confusing him. And I’m of no help since I didn’t get farther than high school.

Edit: just noticed on the Wikipedia article “bachelor’s degree” there’s a subheading “Mexico: The official name for a bachelor's degree in Mexico is licenciado."
Well that puts it to rest then--he told me before he has a "licence from university" which is understandable now since apparently in Mexico a bachelor's degree is called "licenciado"

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I’m the sponsor (Can citizen by birth) but never did any post-secondary. But he has a diploma from a Mexican university. He says that in Mexico, their high school is considered “post secondary” and is 3 years long, after which he “obtained a baccalaureate”
Whatever the Mexican terminology is, high school is secondary school (after primary school), as evidenced by fact that in some provinces it's still called a secondary school diploma. (But then there's Quebec and don't ask me how that works with cegep)

And it is true that in many countries the high school leaving is called "baccalaureate" (including the international baccalaureate), anyway, glad you got it all worked out.

Last edited: