+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IMM 5669: Mother's Maiden Name / Given Names

baka123

Star Member
Nov 22, 2019
Hello all,

I need some advice on the following:

I;m currently filing out the Background Declaration (Schedule A) form and the section where it asks for Mother's name at Birth, I've put her maiden name - no problems there.

But for the given names, it was different before and after she got married i.e she took up my Dad's name as part of her given names after marriage

TIA

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Explain what was going on with changes to her name in a short letter of explanation. If she has documents that match up to this, it won't be a problem (and if you think they will have doubt, you could include e.g. photocopy of current doc with name as is to show).

If this type of change is traditional for your country/culture, it won't hurt to mention that.

MelJohn

Mar 16, 2020
I think it means her names, put exactly what is on her birth certificate. My parents are married and my mom took my dad surname. I put her maiden name, one before she was married. Given names, the ones she was given at birth

baka123

Star Member
Nov 22, 2019
Thank you for your responses.
One more question: For IMM008 (Additional Dependants/Declaration Form), do I still have to fill it/sign even though I have no dependants?

TIA

karma0512

Star Member
Jan 4, 2020
I think it means her names, put exactly what is on her birth certificate. My parents are married and my mom took my dad surname. I put her maiden name, one before she was married. Given names, the ones she was given at birth
Hi MelJohn, I have something similar. My mother changed her name after her marriage. Did you attach any proof for name change like an affidavit/marriage certificate/mother's passport ?

Entity

Star Member
Jan 26, 2022
Hello all,

I need some advice on the following:

I;m currently filing out the Background Declaration (Schedule A) form and the section where it asks for Mother's name at Birth, I've put her maiden name - no problems there.

But for the given names, it was different before and after she got married i.e she took up my Dad's name as part of her given names after marriage

TIA
There is a section in the Section A form where they will ask you to disclose all and any names you have ever gone by, including any nicknames in Facebook, or even if they call someone and someone from your grandparents remembers a childhood nickname. Better to disclose it all, then you won't have any issues. IRCC are trained and educated to put the dots together and understand that these names were used before / after marriage.

Shushmoy Mahid

Star Member
Apr 8, 2020
I am filling background declaration form. In my passport My mother name is Sohana Manzoor. All my educational documents have this same name. But from birth of my mother, before marriage, her name was Sohana akter banu. So, IMM5669, what name shall i declare? During e-apr, i put my mother name as per my passport, which is Sohana Manzoor.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I am filling background declaration form. In my passport My mother name is Sohana Manzoor. All my educational documents have this same name. But from birth of my mother, before marriage, her name was Sohana akter banu. So, IMM5669, what name shall i declare? During e-apr, i put my mother name as per my passport, which is Sohana Manzoor.
THere is section for other names, you put the other name there. Explain it is maiden name if you think it's not clear in a separate letter of explanation. Short, it's not complicated.

Reactions: YVR123

Shushmoy Mahid

Star Member
Apr 8, 2020
THere is section for other names, you put the other name there. Explain it is maiden name if you think it's not clear in a separate letter of explanation. Short, it's not complicated.
But i find complicated and worried at the same time. Because during e-APR, in the family information, i wrote my mothers family name Manzoor and given name Sohana. Because all.my certificates and travel docs are aligned with this name. But actually her name is Sohana Akter Banu. Although she has no travel doc but National ID card is a proof of Sohana Akter Banu... Please suggest

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
But i find complicated and worried at the same time. Because during e-APR, in the family information, i wrote my mothers family name Manzoor and given name Sohana. Because all.my certificates and travel docs are aligned with this name. But actually her name is Sohana Akter Banu. Although she has no travel doc but National ID card is a proof of Sohana Akter Banu... Please suggest
You are overcomplicating and overthinking. If all her docs have one name, that is her name. If she used another name before, or even now sometimes, put that under 'other names.'