+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IMM 5540 Question 11 - Proof of Intention to Re-Establish

Pollywog86

Jun 4, 2015
Hey all,

I am a Canadian Citizen by birth who has been living in Australia for the past 3 years with my girlfriend/common law partner. We are planning on moving back to Canada in Jan 2016 but don't have any actual proof of our intentions to do so. I thought I had read that a letter from family members stating that they know of our plans and are willing to put us up when we arrive is sufficient. Is that actually the case? If so does the letter have to be notarized or is signed/dated good enough?

These applications are stressful!

Mulez

Star Member
Mar 9, 2015
the Netherlands
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept 12 2014
Doc's Request.
Yes, May 22 2015
File Transfer...
Oct 28 2014 SA
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Sept 4 2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
IP: July 21 DM: July 28 2015
VISA ISSUED...
COPR: August 8 2015
LANDED..........
Landed on August 17th 2015
Proof can be anything!
Letters from family, job search, put your house up for seal, contact a moving company how will ship your personal belongings etc.
Good luck in this process. :)

brucem

Apr 21, 2014
Edinburgh
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-07-2014
Doc's Request.
23-01-2015
AOR Received.
22-08-2014
File Transfer...
22-08-2014
Med's Done....
26-06-2014
VISA ISSUED...
08-05-2015
LANDED..........
08-07-2015
Pollywog86 said:
Hey all,

I am a Canadian Citizen by birth who has been living in Australia for the past 3 years with my girlfriend/common law partner. We are planning on moving back to Canada in Jan 2016 but don't have any actual proof of our intentions to do so. I thought I had read that a letter from family members stating that they know of our plans and are willing to put us up when we arrive is sufficient. Is that actually the case? If so does the letter have to be notarized or is signed/dated good enough?

These applications are stressful!
The intention to move back bit can be either straightforward or somewhat tricky sometimes depending on the office processing your partners part of the application or the officer dealing with the case. We initially submitted exactly what you have stated and unfortunately in our case this was not enough and we were asked for additional evidence. Ideally you are looking at anything that shows 'intent'. For example looking for jobs, (sending email enquiries), property either buying or renting, bank accounts, school/nursery enquiries if you have kids, qualifications that need recognised....basically anything showing that you are making a plan to relocate. We eventually wrote quite a detailed statement describing how we planned to find work, where we were going to stay, why we were moving. We also eventually got my wifes MP to write a letter of support which helped. I would honestly try and throw as much as you can at them to avoid them asking for more as it delays your application!

On a sidenote don't put any particular dates in your application about when you intend to move back as CIC have been known to deny application based on plans they deem to far in the future.

Pollywog86

Jun 4, 2015
Thanks for your replies, they helped alot and actually gave me a couple more ideas as to what we can use as proof

brucem said:
On a sidenote don't put any particular dates in your application about when you intend to move back as CIC have been known to deny application based on plans they deem to far in the future.
We are actually planning on moving back well before her application will be decided on, so if anything the date will be in the past by the time the Sydney office is dealing with our case