+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IMM 5533 Checklist Question

trynasponsor

Sep 10, 2018
Under part B, section 4, there's a question that asks, "Have you (the sponsor) previously been sponsored yourself for permanent residence?"

I came with my parents as a minor nearly 20 years ago. My dad immigrated without sponsorship. Would I be considered someone who was sponsored or not?

(I'm completing the form for a spousal sponsorship as the sponsor)

Thanks.

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
if your dad included you as a dependent in his application for permanent residency and you landed as an immigrant with your father......No....you were not sponsored.

Carleton

Sep 18, 2018
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
October 19
AOR Received.
January 23
File Transfer...
February 23
I have a similar situation, I came with my mother as a dependent when she was sponsored by her husband (my stepfather). Does that me I select yes for being previously sponsored?

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017

your situation is not similar as your mother immigrated with sponsorship.......your step father sponsored your mother and you were included in her sponsorship application as a dependent.....it was your mother who applied for PR sponsorship under the family class, however you were included in the sponsorship, so its kind of tricky....i may be wrong, but if i were to answer i would select Yes and maybe provide an explanation why you choose Yes.

Sponsored person
A foreign national who has applied for permanent residence under the Family Class, has an approved Canadian sponsor and meets the requirements of the Family Class.