+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IMM 008 Non Accompanying Dependent

Americanteacher

Sep 13, 2021
We met with an Immigration Lawyer today who said that our non accompanying soon-to-be 21 year old must fill out the IMM 0008 - Generic Application. But how? Questions 5a asks where he plans to live in Canada. He doesn't plan to ever live in Canada. So how can he completed this form? I am getting very frustrated. We have met with 3 different people....long story. We are trying so hard to do this right, but can't seem to get answers that make sense. Please help!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
We met with an Immigration Lawyer today who said that our non accompanying soon-to-be 21 year old must fill out the IMM 0008 - Generic Application. But how? Questions 5a asks where he plans to live in Canada. He doesn't plan to ever live in Canada. So how can he completed this form? I am getting very frustrated. We have met with 3 different people....long story. We are trying so hard to do this right, but can't seem to get answers that make sense. Please help!
Deep breath.

Just write "not applicable - does not plan to live in Canada" or any variation on that simple version of the truth that you prefer. Add a sheet of paper separate for explanation.

If you can't write this on the form, or it won't validate without giving a province, add the province and then a short letter of explanation to the same effect as above.

Americanteacher

Sep 13, 2021
Deep breath.

Just write "not applicable - does not plan to live in Canada" or any variation on that simple version of the truth that you prefer. Add a sheet of paper separate for explanation.

If you can't write this on the form, or it won't validate without giving a province, add the province and then a short letter of explanation to the same effect as above.
Thank you for the reply. I am just shocked that he even has to fill out this form. I haven't seen anything online about the dependent non accompanying children having to do it. I see they have to do a Schedule A and the Additional Family Information Form. But I don't see anything about them completing this one. The questions just really don't fit his situation. Ugh! I am sooooo frustrated. This process seems impossible sometimes.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you for the reply. I am just shocked that he even has to fill out this form. I haven't seen anything online about the dependent non accompanying children having to do it. I see they have to do a Schedule A and the Additional Family Information Form. But I don't see anything about them completing this one. The questions just really don't fit his situation. Ugh! I am sooooo frustrated. This process seems impossible sometimes.
Deep breath. Repeat as necessary.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
When he puts "how many family members are included in the application" does he put 2 (him and his brother that are listed on that form) or 3 (because me and the 2 kids are listed on my General Application form)???
Good question. I don't know. Again, if something seems to really not fit and you don't know how to answer, in worst case, include a short letter of explanation about why he answered a certain way.

Americanteacher

Sep 13, 2021
Good question. I don't know. Again, if something seems to really not fit and you don't know how to answer, in worst case, include a short letter of explanation about why he answered a certain way.
Thank you for the help! This is such a long and stressful process....on top of my regular teaching job.

Western Mountain Man

Nov 2, 2018
Canada
Thank you for the help! This is such a long and stressful process....on top of my regular teaching job.
Many have been through this process and encountered frustrations. They don't want to make it too easy.
IRCC wants to ensure your non accompanying dependent is aware and understanding even if they are not close.
Be prepared for some issues.

Americanteacher

Sep 13, 2021
Many have been through this process and encountered frustrations. They don't want to make it too easy.
IRCC wants to ensure your non accompanying dependent is aware and understanding even if they are not close.
Be prepared for some issues.
Thanks. It is frustrating...my kids are adults and don't live with me. I have very little contact with them, unfortunately. So there is no way for me to get them to cooperate. I'll do what I can. But when they rarely come around or answer texts my hands are tied.

Western Mountain Man

Nov 2, 2018
Canada
Thanks. It is frustrating...my kids are adults and don't live with me. I have very little contact with them, unfortunately. So there is no way for me to get them to cooperate. I'll do what I can. But when they rarely come around or answer texts my hands are tied.
I understand your situation.....They are still kids but think they are adults. :rolleyes:
Make sure you keep records of all your attempted communication with them and as previous post armoured suggested you should write a clear explanation letter for IRCC.

Americanteacher

Sep 13, 2021
I understand your situation.....They are still kids but think they are adults. :rolleyes:
Make sure you keep records of all your attempted communication with them and as previous post armoured suggested you should write a clear explanation letter for IRCC.
Exactly. I'm trying to document...but it is hard. They don't use email addresses. I use Facebook Messenger to try to call so I can prove that I tried. And I message through Facebook Messenger...so I can show if they even opened it (which they haven't been the last few days) and if they reply.

I just don't want to waste a lot of time delaying my application for kids who aren't willing to cooperate at all.
I am so stressed over this. And I'm praying a lot. I've got to find a way to stop stressing or how in the world will I make it through this whole process without an ulcer etc?

Western Mountain Man

Nov 2, 2018
Canada
Exactly. I'm trying to document...but it is hard. They don't use email addresses. I use Facebook Messenger to try to call so I can prove that I tried. And I message through Facebook Messenger...so I can show if they even opened it (which they haven't been the last few days) and if they reply.

I just don't want to waste a lot of time delaying my application for kids who aren't willing to cooperate at all.
I am so stressed over this. And I'm praying a lot. I've got to find a way to stop stressing or how in the world will I make it through this whole process without an ulcer etc?
Take your time and focus on a good honest explanation letter.
It's just a process and ulcers are treatable.