+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IMM 0008 do I include my parents and siblings in the dependants section?

leon_823

Dec 3, 2022
my common-law partner (Canadian) is sponsoring me for PR and I'm not sure if I need to provide details about my parents and siblings in IMM 0008 form.

the form requires me to provide details about each of my family members and the online guide states I must list all my family members otherwise I will not be able to sponsor them at a later time. I do hope to sponsor my family members in the future when I have my citizenship but at the same time they are not my dependants, so what is the right move here?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
my common-law partner (Canadian) is sponsoring me for PR and I'm not sure if I need to provide details about my parents and siblings in IMM 0008 form.

the form requires me to provide details about each of my family members and the online guide states I must list all my family members otherwise I will not be able to sponsor them at a later time. I do hope to sponsor my family members in the future when I have my citizenship but at the same time they are not my dependants, so what is the right move here?
It's only for your dependents. If you wish to sponsor other family members in future, that would be under programs for sponsoring non-dependents. You include other family membes on the other family form (if required).

leon_823

Dec 3, 2022
It's only for your dependents. If you wish to sponsor other family members in future, that would be under programs for sponsoring non-dependents. You include other family membes on the other family form (if required).
thank you for the fast reply! just to be 100% clear, I don't need to fill out my parents' and siblings' information on IMM0008 form because they are not my dependants. And by not including them on IMM0008 I will still be able to sponsor them in the future?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
thank you for the fast reply! just to be 100% clear, I don't need to fill out my parents' and siblings' information on IMM0008 form because they are not my dependants. And by not including them on IMM0008 I will still be able to sponsor them in the future?
See my post above.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
You have a common law partner. So your immediate family is your common law partner. (and children if you have any)

Your parents and siblings are NOT your family any more. (according to IRCC immigration terms)
They are your additional family.

Reactions: leon_823

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
For the future, you may be able to sponsor your parents and if you sibling is under 22 years old at that time, may be included in your parents' sponsorship applicaiton. But there is NO guarantee that you can sponsor them in the future.
As I stated parents are not "immediate family", so they are covered in a special family sponsorship called Parents and Grandparents sponsorship. (referred as PGP in this forum)
Currently PGP is done in terms of a lottery draw. Sponsor also needs to meet income requirement of the family size (including sponsored parents and dependents) for 3 years before application.

If siblings are over 22, you cannot sponsor them as family. (they may be able to get some extra point when they immigrate on their own under some economic stream)