+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IMM 0008 - Dependants form

TheShark

Jul 6, 2018
Hi guys!

First of all, thanks for all your help on this process. Every time I have a question I just check the forum and they are always explained here, but this time I have a different question. Reading the different threads made me even more confused.

On the dependants part of the IMM 0008 it says: You must provide the following details about each of your family members, whether they will be accompanying you to Canada or not. You must include your spouse or common-law partner, if applicable, and all of your dependent children, and those of your spouse or common-law partner, who are not already permanent residents or citizens of Canada."

So do I have to include my common-law partner or not? She is the one sponsoring me.

Thank you guys! ;)

Edit: Forgot to mention she obviously is Canadian citizen! :)

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
Generic Application Form for Canada (IMM 0008).......DEPENDANT(S).......
"You must include your spouse or common-law partner, if applicable, and all of your dependent children, and those of your spouse or common-law partner, who are not already permanent residents or citizens of Canada."

For Spousal Sponsorship, the Sponsor, your common-law partner is already a Citizen or PR in Canada.......not eligible to immigrate.....and should not be included in the Dependent section of IMM0008.

Reactions: TheShark

Mmyyrraa

Apr 13, 2013
Hello!

We are sponsoring my mom for the Parents Grandparents Sponsorship 2019, we are a family of 4 (Me, my wife, 2 kids [8 and 6yo]), we are already Canadian citizens, do we need to be included in the form IM008 under Dependant section? I also have a brother (31 yo), do i need to include him as well? he is not financially dependant to my mom anymore.

Thanks!

Zahra NZ

May 7, 2019
Hello!

We are sponsoring my mom for the Parents Grandparents Sponsorship 2019, we are a family of 4 (Me, my wife, 2 kids [8 and 6yo]), we are already Canadian citizens, do we need to be included in the form IM008 under Dependant section? I also have a brother (31 yo), do i need to include him as well? he is not financially dependant to my mom anymore.

Thanks!
That is exactly my question too. It would be great if anyone can help.

Louman64

Sep 22, 2016
scarborough toronto
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
10-04-2019
Doc's Request.
No news yet
Hello!

Thanks!
Of course not...they are already Canadian citizen...your brother is not a dependant anymore as he is already 31 yo....

Lchinjohn

Star Member
Nov 8, 2019
Hi. I'm the main applicant, with spouse accompanying. So I should list my spouse as dependant? My son is 25, working, and he has applied through express entry few months ago, but process still ongoing. Do I need to include him as dependant, since it says that I've to include all in the family? But my son is not a dependant, as he's working and is still applying in his own right for pr. Pls advise. Thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi. I'm the main applicant, with spouse accompanying. So I should list my spouse as dependant? My son is 25, working, and he has applied through express entry few months ago, but process still ongoing. Do I need to include him as dependant, since it says that I've to include all in the family? But my son is not a dependant, as he's working and is still applying in his own right for pr. Pls advise. Thanks
Of course you include your spouse as a dependent. Your son is not a dependent and not included.

snj

Star Member
Dec 6, 2010
hi. what about the children of sponsor and PA who are canadian citizens and minors?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
hi. what about the children of sponsor and PA who are canadian citizens and minors?
Read the thread carefully again: "You must include your spouse or common-law partner, if applicable, and all of your dependent children, and those of your spouse or common-law partner, who are not already permanent residents or citizens of Canada."

The bolding should make the answer clear.

Reactions: YVR123

snj

Star Member
Dec 6, 2010
Read the thread carefully again: "You must include your spouse or common-law partner, if applicable, and all of your dependent children, and those of your spouse or common-law partner, who are not already permanent residents or citizens of Canada."

The bolding should make the answer clear.

this is the webform Imm0008.

snj

Star Member
Dec 6, 2010

and when i go to add dependents.....here it says dont add children who are already PR or citizens of Canada. the first note contradict the next note.
thats why i am not sure what to do. I am trying to apply through the online portal.

aonedoc

Star Member
Feb 22, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-12-2011
Nomination.....
09-2011
AOR Received.
01-03-2012
Med's Request
01-03-2012
Med's Done....
09-03-2012. Ecas: "in process" since 10th May. and We have received your Medical.
Passport Req..
30 August 2012
VISA ISSUED...
18th September 2012--COPR
LANDED..........
23rd September 2012

and when i go to add dependents.....here it says dont add children who are already PR or citizens of Canada. the first note contradict the next note.
thats why i am not sure what to do. I am trying to apply through the online portal.
I can see you signed in on the PR application portal.Are you allowed to do so or principal appicant has to do it?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

this is the webform Imm0008.
You saw the text in the application page that they are testing a new online immigration application. I don't know about the webform version, and few here will - but at least specify you're asking about the webform.

And since the text above seems pretty clear - well, do that, and why are you asking?

snj

Star Member
Dec 6, 2010
You saw the text in the application page that they are testing a new online immigration application. I don't know about the webform version, and few here will - but at least specify you're asking about the webform.

And since the text above seems pretty clear - well, do that, and why are you asking?
What about the note on the next page that says dont mention pr and citizens? Thats where i am confused.

Reactions: Defend