+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IMG in Canada : How are you surviving?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Good day doctors!
I am new to this forum and just recently submitted application for PR under Express Entry with my husband. I am a General Practitioner here in my homeland and would just want to ask several questions.

Has any of you taken the Physician Assistant route for alternative jobs in CA?

I am planning to take MCCQE 1 next year, what advice can the people who took this give?

Lastly, is Primary Care Medicine the only applicable field of practice in CA for IMGs?

Thanks so much in advance.
PAs are relatively new and rare in Canada. They are very common in the US. They have been around longer in Manitoba but only in the past 5ish years have there have been graduates in Ontario and it's a small program. Not sure what is going on in the other provinces. In general I think they will be used in similar ways as nurse practitioners to cover underserviced areas primarily. I did encounter a PA in a Toronto ER. I wanted to ask more questions because I was very curious but was so ill and couldn't ask my questions. Haven't run into one since then. Yes IMGs are usually forced to requalify as GPs. If you want to practice medicine the chances of getting certified in Canada as an IMG are pretty low and I wouldn't recommend moving to Canada. If you are able to get licensed I would anticipate needing to move to a smaller community.

Wolverine17

VIP Member
Mar 28, 2016
Good day doctors!
I am new to this forum and just recently submitted application for PR under Express Entry with my husband. I am a General Practitioner here in my homeland and would just want to ask several questions.

Has any of you taken the Physician Assistant route for alternative jobs in CA?

I am planning to take MCCQE 1 next year, what advice can the people who took this give?

Lastly, is Primary Care Medicine the only applicable field of practice in CA for IMGs?

Thanks so much in advance.
I am a dentist also looking for alternative job,any ideas?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The PA program would require 24 months of intense studying without the time to work. Maybe you could handle a part-time job for a few hours a week but not 20 hours. Not a quick fix and will be very competitive to get in. It is a good option if you can get in. Many previous physicians have also gone back to school to become ultrasound or radiology techs.

Wolverine17

VIP Member
Mar 28, 2016
The PA program would require 24 months of intense studying without the time to work. Maybe you could handle a part-time job for a few hours a week but not 20 hours. Not a quick fix and will be very competitive to get in. It is a good option if you can get in. Many previous physicians have also gone back to school to become ultrasound or radiology techs.
Do i have other options

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You have options but most good degrees will likely take 2 years or more. MBA, masters in public health, etc Are you trying to become licensed in Canada?

Dec 8, 2018
Being a fairly new IMG in Canada, just over a year, I am at crossroads on continuing in Canada or returning back to my homeland.
How are IMGs surviving in Canada?
Since you understand that it’s almost impossible to get into the practice than try other avenues!
It’s easy to say that I want to go back to my home country. I think living in present time will help you move forward. Canada is land of opportunities and we have the best environment around us to achieve the best we can.
I was a general practitioner in India, came here 9 years ago. I was like you for 2 years. But I said that I am not going anywhere, I have come to Canada for a better future for me and my family, especially for my children. I started my journey by getting a degree from the University (masters in public health), well it got me no where with no good job opportunities. Than I decided to go for a degree in nursing (fast track in 2 years). I did my Masters in 1 yr and Nursing in 2 yrs.
Now I am working in Northern Canada as an advance practice nurse. I can prescribe ( limited) medications and order ( Limited) lab tests. My work is very similar to a general practitioner in India. Although it’s not ideal but I am very satisfied with my achievement. You can look into similar career pathways. I hope it helps.

Wolverine17

VIP Member
Mar 28, 2016
Since you understand that it’s almost impossible to get into the practice than try other avenues!
It’s easy to say that I want to go back to my home country. I think living in present time will help you move forward. Canada is land of opportunities and we have the best environment around us to achieve the best we can.
I was a general practitioner in India, came here 9 years ago. I was like you for 2 years. But I said that I am not going anywhere, I have come to Canada for a better future for me and my family, especially for my children. I started my journey by getting a degree from the University (masters in public health), well it got me no where with no good job opportunities. Than I decided to go for a degree in nursing (fast track in 2 years). I did my Masters in 1 yr and Nursing in 2 yrs.
Now I am working in Northern Canada as an advance practice nurse. I can prescribe ( limited) medications and order ( Limited) lab tests. My work is very similar to a general practitioner in India. Although it’s not ideal but I am very satisfied with my achievement. You can look into similar career pathways. I hope it helps.
Any advice for a dentist please?

Dec 8, 2018
Any advice for a dentist please?
Well, I have seen dentist doing Masters in Public health and getting decent jobs. I will suggest you to look into Master's in Health Administration. You can also look into health research related masters/diploma etc. I am not sure where you are but every province has there own areas of skill shortages. You can look into any licensed health profession like Physiotherapy/occupational therapy/massage therapy/respiratory therapy/ND's etc. Naturopathy doctors can have their own practice and for IMG's it's just 2 years to complete the program.
The only barrier you might face is the cost of education. Look for student loans, funding and scholarships.
Do not get frustrated or demotivated ! Think calmly and positively that if you can do a Medical/Dental degree than you can do anything in your life. Just look for your interests and goals.
I think that the main reason why I became a doctor was to be able to help people, take care of others and help them with their health needs. Most importantly I love interacting with my clients.
Now, you need to think that what else you can do to continue helping people in a different health care field. I can assure you that you will find similar job satisfaction in other Health Care Professions. For example, may be you can do even better as a physiotherapist than a Dentist. Keep all the options open. You will be fine. Remember that you are in one of the best nations on the Planet. I have lived in many countries and I can tell from my experience that amount of help you can get in Canada to succeed is not comparable to all the countries I have lived in.
Cheers !

Wolverine17

VIP Member
Mar 28, 2016
Well, I have seen dentist doing Masters in Public health and getting decent jobs. I will suggest you to look into Master's in Health Administration. You can also look into health research related masters/diploma etc. I am not sure where you are but every province has there own areas of skill shortages. You can look into any licensed health profession like Physiotherapy/occupational therapy/massage therapy/respiratory therapy/ND's etc. Naturopathy doctors can have their own practice and for IMG's it's just 2 years to complete the program.
The only barrier you might face is the cost of education. Look for student loans, funding and scholarships.
Do not get frustrated or demotivated ! Think calmly and positively that if you can do a Medical/Dental degree than you can do anything in your life. Just look for your interests and goals.
I think that the main reason why I became a doctor was to be able to help people, take care of others and help them with their health needs. Most importantly I love interacting with my clients.
Now, you need to think that what else you can do to continue helping people in a different health care field. I can assure you that you will find similar job satisfaction in other Health Care Professions. For example, may be you can do even better as a physiotherapist than a Dentist. Keep all the options open. You will be fine. Remember that you are in one of the best nations on the Planet. I have lived in many countries and I can tell from my experience that amount of help you can get in Canada to succeed is not comparable to all the countries I have lived in.
Cheers !
I sent you a message bro,thanks

Banoori001

Mar 19, 2019
Hi
Anybody here has a masters/doctorate in public health from Canada? How are job opportunities for mph in canada? (Especially in hospital administration)

I'm a final year mbbs student in Pakistan (an IMG) and i will soon be moving to Canada so i am just wondering maybe i shouldn't pursue the whole medicine residency process as i as i am pretty convinced its not gonna work out, seeing from other people's experiences.
But i wanna stay in the health sector.
Hence i am deciding on getting an MPH degree.

Which university programs are best for MPH and generous with studnt loans and stuff?
And what is the starting and average pay for an mph in hospital administration?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi
Anybody here has a masters/doctorate in public health from Canada? How are job opportunities for mph in canada? (Especially in hospital administration)

I'm a final year mbbs student in Pakistan (an IMG) and i will soon be moving to Canada so i am just wondering maybe i shouldn't pursue the whole medicine residency process as i as i am pretty convinced its not gonna work out, seeing from other people's experiences.
But i wanna stay in the health sector.
Hence i am deciding on getting an MPH degree.

Which university programs are best for MPH and generous with studnt loans and stuff?
And what is the starting and average pay for an mph in hospital administration?
Graduates in public health rarely end in hospital administration. Hospital administrators are often physicians who have practiced in the Canadian system for an extended period of time. Then there are. various departments like HR, communications, fundraising, general admin. Public health degrees usually work in public health departments, some work at NGOs, etc. Because of our public hospital system hospital and health admin aren't huge sectors of employment. If you are looking to do more admin would consider an MBA or M Health/hospital admin. The lack of experience in the Canadian healthcare system plus your lack of work experience will mean you will likely start in a more entry level position. Would suggest MBA because it is the most general.

Spotted

Nov 27, 2018
Kenya
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Case Processing Centre CPC Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
17-01-2019
Med's Done....
01-03-2019
Passport Req..
26-09-2019
Not sure that any Canadian would be thrilled that you are recommending people not work, collect child benefit and seek subsidized housing while you are able to able to work and have significant savings. I hope you will correctly declare your international income if you do return to the middle east and leave your family living in Canada.

I constantly discourage IMG to move to Canada unless they are from a few specific countries. If you want to work as a family doctor in a rural area there may be a chance/ With the increased enrollment in Canadian medical schools it is very hard to match.
This guy is doing everything, begging, borrowing and stealing, to be a practicing doctor in Canada. I suggest that you check your entitlement and not presume to suggest that everyone in Canada will read his tremendous sacrifice as narrowly and skeptically as you have. This person is a credit to his profession - he should keep at it until he succeeds and becomes, no doubt, an asset to his new country.

Reactions: drpaul and munif162

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
This guy is doing everything, begging, borrowing and stealing, to be a practicing doctor in Canada. I suggest that you check your entitlement and not presume to suggest that everyone in Canada will read his tremendous sacrifice as narrowly and skeptically as you have. This person is a credit to his profession - he should keep at it until he succeeds and becomes, no doubt, an asset to his new country.
Did you actually read the post. He is saying not to take any jobs while in Canada trying to get licensed and if he doesn't get matched within 3 years he will take his citizenship and move to the Middle East. He has no plans to remain in the country. Doubt he would recommend that any IMG move to Canada.