+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IMG in Canada : How are you surviving?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You will basically have to repeat a residency if you are licensed in another country. There are very few spots even for some targeted programs where they want to train family doctors for underserviced often rural communities.

Reactions: nayr69sg
D

David83

You will basically have to repeat a residency if you are licensed in another country. There are very few spots even for some targeted programs where they want to train family doctors for underserviced often rural communities.
OK, so you are talking about a specific domain, not in general. Though it is interesting to know immigrants of which countries are most successful in immigrating to and settling in Canada, and why.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
OK, so you are talking about a specific domain, not in general. Though it is interesting to know immigrants of which countries are most successful in immigrating to and settling in Canada, and why.
IMG is international medical graduate. The whole thread is about international doctor.

Reactions: anotherone11

fswevaluation

Star Member
May 7, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-OTTAWA/ NEW YORK
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
9th June 2014
LANDED..........
6th July 2015/Toronto
Immigration should be after getting proper jobs.

What are you? Bloody five year old. We pass exams in US and we get jobs and earn $100-200K and wait for bloody 10 years plus to get a green card and the system is broken in US. Why don’t you move to US as an Indian immigrant and see. It’s minimum 10-15 year wait.

Try to show minimum courtesy to a guy who posted a situation that he worked as a doctor for 10 years

jupiter16

May 27, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-02-16
AOR Received.
AOR 12-03-6, AOR2 30-03-16
File Transfer...
28-03-16
Med's Request
Remed request 12th nov,16
Med's Done....
done
Interview........
interview queued on 24-08-16, interview 8th dec,16
Passport Req..
01-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
09-02-17, passport back 19-02-17
LANDED..........
18-03-17
Hi i am an IMG, Does anyone knows about PRA? and whether i have to give EE or QE1 to sit for PRA exam? thnx

ndafisha

Apr 21, 2018
I am a cardiothoracic resident in South Africa, am tempted to move to Canada once l complete the training. How is cardiothoracic surgery in Canada? in terms of Job availability

Asa

Mar 25, 2009
Hi mates,let me share my experience here.I am a veteran and was very optimistic before moving here rather was excited.I am from Pakistan and much of my experience was in Saudi Arabia.Having a Pakistani passport and discriminating Arabs did force me to immigrate. Trust me the nurses in Saudia are drawing more salaries than we Pakistani and Indians.
Coming back to the topic,I started preparing my exams and it took me 2 and half years to complete my all 4 exams along with IELTS. I advise anyone to forget the residency match and plan for practice ready assessment which is difficult though but possible only if you work out well before exhausting your financial resources. Complete your post graduation training as required in different subjects from your home country and land in a province where you have targeted the practice ready assessment. Pls never land in Ontario as it will ruin you.
I would also suggest physicians never work odd jobs and destroy your career,rather do it only if you can't pursue it here further and looking only for citizenship.
I have had more than 100,000 dollars which I used to live here and never worked here.Now I have applied for PRA and in next 3 months for citizenship.
I will be lucky if I get matched in PRA , otherwise will take Canadian passport and will resume my career in middle East with better pay scales...
I am sorry for a this long comment...
Hi, good reply you gave here. i wanna ask where did you get pra? i have fellowship but they do not recognize it in many provinces.

dkmemon

Star Member
Nov 24, 2017
Hi, good reply you gave here. i wanna ask where did you get pra? i have fellowship but they do not recognize it in many provinces.
Pls visit mcc.ca and follow NAC pra..
All the details and eligibility criteria is there...
Good luck

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am a cardiothoracic resident in South Africa, am tempted to move to Canada once l complete the training. How is cardiothoracic surgery in Canada? in terms of Job availability
Think this article will be very helpful for IMGs even though it is a couple years old. Shows the very slim chances of practicing in Canada if you areas IMG who is not a Canadian citizen. Tough for Canadian citizen IMGs as well.

http://www.old.cfms.org/attachments/article/1370/BACKGROUNDER - IMGs AND THE CANADIAN HEALTHCARE SYSTEM.pdf

Jyoti579

Jun 12, 2018
I have done DGO from India but I want to move to Canada , I am ready to practice as family physician . Is it advisable or I should not think about it?

d0m0

Jan 11, 2015
I have done DGO from India but I want to move to Canada , I am ready to practice as family physician . Is it advisable or I should not think about it?
For IMGs to practice as a physician in Canada is near impossible. Does't matter what training you have at your home country, you have to write the exams and then try to get into the residency (training) in a hospital in Canada. This step is VERY VERY competitive and each year only a handful of IMGs are successful.

What most IMGs are doing is that they just stay in Canada the necessary years to get the citizenship, while doing survival jobs (taxi, retail etc), and then return back to their own country once they have a Canadian Passport.

Others try to branch out, may be go into Ultrasound technician course, research etc. But again, these fields are also competitive (but not as much as compared to residency).

If you think one of these options will suit you, then definitely apply. Otherwise don't apply for immigration thinking that you'll be able to practice medicine in Canada.

Reactions: Hydi and canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
As I have previously said on this forum, unless you will be happy not practicing medicine I wouldn't move to Canada. Consider the ME if you want to make better money.

liezlvinci8

Jan 29, 2018
Good day doctors!
I am new to this forum and just recently submitted application for PR under Express Entry with my husband. I am a General Practitioner here in my homeland and would just want to ask several questions.

Has any of you taken the Physician Assistant route for alternative jobs in CA?

I am planning to take MCCQE 1 next year, what advice can the people who took this give?

Lastly, is Primary Care Medicine the only applicable field of practice in CA for IMGs?

Thanks so much in advance.