+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IMG in Canada : How are you surviving?

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
Yes, I've come to terms with not being an MD which is why I'm trying to look for another field related to the health care sector.
You've mentioned a program for IMGs. Could you please provide me a link for more info?
Thank you.
There are several pathways:

- Take a bridging program to become a registered nurse (normally 2 years)
- Take a physician assistant program (normally 20-22 months)
- Work in the health administration sector
- Take a short course and become a PSW
- Take a master's degree in some related field like physiotherapy, kinesiology, epidemiology, etc. Some might require licensing after graduation

Those are a few examples.

Reactions: 2468az

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

- Take a master's degree in some related field like physiotherapy, kinesiology, epidemiology, etc. Some might require licensing after graduation

PA are very small classes and extremely competitive to get into. Health Admin jobs are primarily done by people who have worked in the healthcare profession. I would suggest an MBA that would provide much wider scope of practice in business and healthcare vs healthcare admin. Physiotherapy is extremely competitive masters program. Without an undergrad in epidemiology you may have a difficult time getting into a masters course. Not sure why you’d do a masters in kinesiology unless you are interested in exercise science and want to do a PhD. I like the nursing bridging program and then becoming a nurse practitioner which is similar to a PA. Probably the easiest route with guaranteed employment.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes, I've come to terms with not being an MD which is why I'm trying to look for another field related to the health care sector.
You've mentioned a program for IMGs. Could you please provide me a link for more info?
Thank you.
Can’t find the link but if moving to Ontario you can ask the settlement agencies. It is really just to provide ideas which you can do yourself but some can’t think past being a doctor. Are you a GP?

2468az

Jan 19, 2023

Thanks! Appreciate the info.

2468az

Jan 19, 2023
Can’t find the link but if moving to Ontario you can ask the settlement agencies. It is really just to provide ideas which you can do yourself but some can’t think past being a doctor. Are you a GP?

No, I have an MBBS degree with 5 years of experience as a doctor but I haven't taken up a specialty yet.

Do you know about the scope for allied health services in Ontario, like becoming a sonographer, medical lab tech, clinical dietician etc?

Sorry if I'm asking too for too much info!

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
No, I have an MBBS degree with 5 years of experience as a doctor but I haven't taken up a specialty yet.

Do you know about the scope for allied health services in Ontario, like becoming a sonographer, medical lab tech, clinical dietician etc?

IMO, all those careers are offered as college diplomas which are a "lower level" than being a doctor. So applying for a study permit to one of those would have a high chance of refusal.

When my wife (a doctor) and I (an Engineer) were planning to come to Canada, she was planning to apply to either a medical esthetician or clinical dietician program in a college, but after reading and getting some advice we realized her approval probabilities were going to be low, so we decided that I was going to apply to a graduate diploma instead. We got approved.

This is all based on personal opinion and experience, someone could have a very different story. It's always up to you. You could build a very good SOP and get approved for any of those programs and have a very successful career in Canada.

It's ok to ask, this is what the forum is for.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
IMO, all those careers are offered as college diplomas which are a "lower level" than being a doctor. So applying for a study permit to one of those would have a high chance of refusal.

When my wife (a doctor) and I (an Engineer) were planning to come to Canada, she was planning to apply to either a medical esthetician or clinical dietician program in a college, but after reading and getting some advice we realized her approval probabilities were going to be low, so we decided that I was going to apply to a graduate diploma instead. We got approved.

This is all based on personal opinion and experience, someone could have a very different story. It's always up to you. You could build a very good SOP and get approved for any of those programs and have a very successful career in Canada.

@2468az

Registered dietician is a masters degree, any type of medical imaging is a second entry program and extremely competitive to get into because of the limited spots but yes IMGs have gone into a variety of second entry program or masters program that are 2 years in length. Nursing can also be done in 2 years if you have another degree that is also an option for IMGs. Many IMGs arriving often have a family. The push to license more family doctors may make it easier to get licensed but the schemes pushed by the government often involve finding Doctors willing to supervise IMGs which is the most difficult part. BC opened up their family doctor program to more IMGs and they couldn’t find enough Canadian GPs willing to supervise to meet the targeted amount of IMGs.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Is any of that 5 years a residency program or can you start practicing family medicine after graduation? So much training is actually done in residency not in medical school.

Medical school is extremely competitive to get into in Canada so the other licensed health professions that are better paying are as well. The programs also tend to be relatively small. Anything that is college and inexpensive to pay for likely doesn’t pay well after graduation. There is a huge demand for medical lab technician positions throughout North America. Nursing and then becoming a nurse practitioner would probably be the easiest way to come close to being a physician without being a physician while also being able to get employed right after graduation and earn an income while training to be an nurse practitioner. There are a lot more programs than physician assistants programs that are still quite uncommon in most of Canada. PAs have been common in Manitoba for quite some time but have only been in Ontario for around a decade and there are only 3 schools in Canada. The role of a PA and an NP are quite similar.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

What graduate program did they do? I see many IMGs being advised to do the same graduate programs like public health and health admin that don’t lead to great opportunities. Remember one IMG that did a masters in public health but still couldn’t find employment because there are lots of graduates when most of the public health jobs are actually done by nurses.

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
What graduate program did they do? I see many IMGs being advised to do the same graduate programs like public health and health admin that don’t lead to great opportunities. Remember one IMG that did a masters in public health but still couldn’t find employment because there are lots of graduates when most of the public health jobs are actually done by nurses.
My wife didn't end up studying, I did. We read that IMGs had high SP rejection rates when trying to take college diplomas or even graduate certificates. That's why we decided to change our strategy and it was me who applied for a SP.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My wife didn't end up studying, I did. We read that IMGs had high SP rejection rates when trying to take college diplomas or even graduate certificates. That's why we decided to change our strategy and it was me who applied for a SP.
To study you need to show that it will lead to career advancement do it makes sense why most SP for IMGs would be refused especially for college level courses. If doing a PhD (if you did medical research) or a good MBA (if you were involved in business in addition to your practice) that would make sense. Many apply for masters or college courses that are catered to the Canadian healthcare system so it would make no sense to take the course and return home. Most courses wouldn’t make sense if you were a practicing doctor. A fellowship would make sense but that is not a pathway to remain in Canada. International fellows are expected to return to their home country with the new knowledge and fellowships are open to international grads for that reason. Although IMGs can practice medicine as a fellow they would have to repeat their residency to be able to immigrate. Many IMGs incorrectly think that fellowship is a pathway to practice medicine in Canada but it isn’t. I can understand where the confusion comes from.

anouaro

Mar 31, 2023
Bonjour à tous. j'ai aussi reçu ce mail merci de m'aider :
BUREAU MONDIAL DES VISAS D'IMMIGRATION CANADA LE CANADA A BESOIN DE CE DOCUMENT DE VOTRE PART

OCanada86

Apr 13, 2023
Hi mates,let me share my experience here.I am a veteran and was very optimistic before moving here rather was excited.I am from Pakistan and much of my experience was in Saudi Arabia.Having a Pakistani passport and discriminating Arabs did force me to immigrate. Trust me the nurses in Saudia are drawing more salaries than we Pakistani and Indians.
Coming back to the topic,I started preparing my exams and it took me 2 and half years to complete my all 4 exams along with IELTS. I advise anyone to forget the residency match and plan for practice ready assessment which is difficult though but possible only if you work out well before exhausting your financial resources. Complete your post graduation training as required in different subjects from your home country and land in a province where you have targeted the practice ready assessment. Pls never land in Ontario as it will ruin you.
I would also suggest physicians never work odd jobs and destroy your career,rather do it only if you can't pursue it here further and looking only for citizenship.
I have had more than 100,000 dollars which I used to live here and never worked here.Now I have applied for PRA and in next 3 months for citizenship.
I will be lucky if I get matched in PRA , otherwise will take Canadian passport and will resume my career in middle East with better pay scales...
I am sorry for a this long comment...
hi,
did it go well with you?