+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Illegal in the USA trying to get legal at Canada... can anybody help?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have entered the US legally and has been a legal permenant resident for about 8 years before I was placed in deportation for missing an immigration hearing. Only missed 1 day but have been a permenant resident from 2009 to 2017 ( when I was placed in deportation )
Giving the fact that I’m a Muslim, I would really love to go to Canada and have a fresh start ( a much needed 2nd chance ). Do I have any options at all whatsoever ? And thank you in advance
Not quite sure what being muslim has to do with this but depending on your education and skills you may qualify to apply for permanent residency. You will have to look at the economic immigration programs. You may be deported to your home country during the process. You must be honest about you immigration status and history. You won't be approved for any temporary visas like a work permit of student visa. Best of luck.

br203

Jun 25, 2018
I have entered the US legally, but after 6 months my visa expired, I am lving here since then. (2 years ago). I worked as financial analyst for more than 10 years in a Multinational company in my original country. Also I have bacharel degree and post bacharel degree. But my English is not so good like I wish. I can understand and speak, but I'm not fluent.
Can I apply for immigration program in Canada?
Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have entered the US legally, but after 6 months my visa expired, I am lving here since then. (2 years ago). I worked as financial analyst for more than 10 years in a Multinational company in my original country. Also I have bacharel degree and post bacharel degree. But my English is not so good like I wish. I can understand and speak, but I'm not fluent.
Can I apply for immigration program in Canada?
Thanks
Yes - you can apply to immigrate to Canada if you qualify. Make sure you are 100% honest about your US immigration history in your application to Canada. You can find information about Canada's immigration programs here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada.html

Reactions: br203

br203

Jun 25, 2018
Yes - you can apply to immigrate to Canada if you qualify. Make sure you are 100% honest about your US immigration history in your application to Canada. You can find information about Canada's immigration programs here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada.html
Thank you for your answer.
I heard from some people that Immigration Program of Canada shares intel with US. Is this true? So if I apply they will send my info to US and I will be in risk to be find by American Immigration Agency?
Thank you

Mark11

Sep 23, 2018
Hi everyone hopefully there somebody help me on my question. I got a job offer in canada. And i got my LMIA clerance from my employer. But the problem is im here in the united states in a overstay visa. But i enter the US legally on my 1 year j-1 visa. Because i read some post here that i can apply without returning my home country.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
You will find your chances for a work permit are near zero given your status in the US. The fact you have overstayed in the US shows you are a risk to do the same in Canada.

Reactions: Mark11

Mark11

Sep 23, 2018
So its no true even if you stay here in the US legally
You will find your chances for a work permit are near zero given your status in the US. The fact you have overstayed in the US shows you are a risk to do the same in Canada.
so even if a stay here legally for the time frame of 1 year. And i got overstay here because of my recent marriage. Do you think the canadian officer will not gonna accept my explanation even if i explain it why the reason i got overstay here.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
So its no true even if you stay here in the US legally

so even if a stay here legally for the time frame of 1 year. And i got overstay here because of my recent marriage. Do you think the canadian officer will not gonna accept my explanation even if i explain it why the reason i got overstay here.
You can try - but the chances of approval are low. IRCC doesn't care why you overstayed in the US. All that matters is that you did in fact overstay - that demonstrates an abuse of visa privileges and makes them concerned you'll do the same in Canada. If you decide to apply, make sure you are 100% honest about your immigration history in the US and don't cover up the overstay. IRCC will find out whether you tell them or not. If you are not honest in your application to Canada, you'll end up with a refusal and a 5 year ban from Canada.

Mark11

Sep 23, 2018
You can try - but the chances of approval are low. IRCC doesn't care why you overstayed in the US. All that matters is that you did in fact overstay - that demonstrates an abuse of visa privileges and makes them concerned you'll do the same in Canada. If you decide to apply, make sure you are 100% honest about your immigration history in the US and don't cover up the overstay. IRCC will find out whether you tell them or not. If you are not honest in your application to Canada, you'll end up with a refusal and a 5 year ban from Canada.
Hi scylla thanks for the answer. I just want it to be clear. Is that possible to apply here inside the US with my overstay visa even if my chance is very low? And do canada report my application here in the US if they denied my visa.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi scylla thanks for the answer. I just want it to be clear. Is that possible to apply here inside the US with my overstay visa even if my chance is very low? And do canada report my application here in the US if they denied my visa.
If you apply from the US while you are there without status, there is absolutely zero chance of approval. Don't even bother applying - it's a waste of money. Refusal is guaranteed.

If you want to have any chance of approval, you need to return to your home country and live there for a year or more to establish ties before attempting to apply for a work permit to Canada.

Mark11

Sep 23, 2018
If you apply from the US while you are there without status, there is absolutely zero chance of approval. Don't even bother applying - it's a waste of money. Refusal is guaranteed.

If you want to have any chance of approval, you need to return to your home country and live there for a year or more to establish ties before attempting to apply for a work permit to Canada.
Thank you so much. I didn’t know that. Because i saw in some message here even if they overstay here in the US they can still get a student visa in canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you so much. I didn’t know that. Because i saw in some message here even if they overstay here in the US they can still get a student visa in canada.
Yes - but realistically that's only after they have left the US, returned to their home country, and lived there for a while to establish strong ties.

Canada is not going to grant any sort of temp visa (study, work, visitor) to someone with no status in the US. That's simply not going to happen.

You can however apply for permanent residency while out of status in the US. That's different since you're asking to come to Canada permanently.

Mark11

Sep 23, 2018
Yes - but realistically that's only after they have left the US, returned to their home country, and lived there for a while to establish strong ties.

Canada is not going to grant any sort of temp visa (study, work, visitor) to someone with no status in the US. That's simply not going to happen.

You can however apply for permanent residency while out of status in the US. That's different since you're asking to come to Canada permanently.
Thank you scylla. I think i’m going to let know my employer who give me a job offer and a positive LMIA in the field of hog industry. That i have zero chance because they just offer me to go there for 2 years temporary work permit.

josefeb33

Dec 4, 2018
Hi, I have been an illegal alien in USA. for 8 years and i have no criminal history . my fiance lives in canada as PR . so can she apply PR for me ???and there is anything to do with my past illegal status in USA ??? thank you