+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Illegal in the USA trying to get legal at Canada... can anybody help?

macky4ex

Sep 21, 2017
Well i have the same problem, i have a tourits visa, and then i came here i overstayed for almost 9 years already, i want to know, if i can apply as a Skilled Worker in Canada? i want to apply here in US..

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Well i have the same problem, i have a tourits visa, and then i came here i overstayed for almost 9 years already, i want to know, if i can apply as a Skilled Worker in Canada? i want to apply here in US..
You can certainly apply to immigrate to Canada if you qualify. Detailed information about Canada's immigration programs can be found here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.asp

You cannot however apply for a temporary work permit, study permit or visitor visa. All of these will be refused due to your illegal status in the US. Applying to immigrate (become a permanent resident) is your only option.

Sindy143

Oct 9, 2017
I am currently living in the USA with my husband and daughter, we both entered illegally and was under Deferred Action, but now that President Trump took away Deferred Action, we want to migrate to Canada, is there any possibility we would qualify? My husband has been a carpenter since he was little, he is in a union right now, and they have the same union in Canada so he wants to migrate as a skilled worker.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am currently living in the USA with my husband and daughter, we both entered illegally and was under Deferred Action, but now that President Trump took away Deferred Action, we want to migrate to Canada, is there any possibility we would qualify? My husband has been a carpenter since he was little, he is in a union right now, and they have the same union in Canada so he wants to migrate as a skilled worker.
You should looked into the Federal Skilled Trades immigration program. Your husband will either need a job offer in Canada or obtain a certification of qualification from a Canadian province.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/trades/apply-who.asp

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Do you think we would qualify for asylum as well?
On what basis?

None of the information you've provided so far would qualify you to claim asylum in Canada.

Additionally, you need to be aware of the safe third country agreement which states you must claim refugee status in the first safe country you reach (in your case that would have been the US).

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You should also probably wait and see what happens to DACA.

macky4ex

Sep 21, 2017
I overstay here in USA been living here for 9 years, I'm planning to move to canada, but i have no job experience, I want to ask if i could get a visitor visa to canada here in USA, go there then apply in agency to get a legal status.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I overstay here in USA been living here for 9 years, I'm planning to move to canada, but i have no job experience, I want to ask if i could get a visitor visa to canada here in USA, go there then apply in agency to get a legal status.
There's zero chance you'll be approved for a visitor visa given your status in the US. Same goes for a work permit or study permit. There's no chance of approval. All of these are temporary visas that require you to prove you have strong ties to your home country and have no plans on remaining in Canada long term.

If you want to move to Canada, you'll need to apply to immigrate. Details about Canada's immigration programs can be found here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada.html

EDIT: With no job experience, you unfortunately won't qualify for any of Canada's immigration programs. So if you want to move to Canada, your first focus should be to obtain at least one year of full time and paid work experience (preferably in a skilled profession).

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Given your overstay, you have zero chance of being approved for any form of temporary residence in Canada.

macky4ex

Sep 21, 2017
There's zero chance you'll be approved for a visitor visa given your status in the US. Same goes for a work permit or study permit. There's no chance of approval. All of these are temporary visas that require you to prove you have strong ties to your home country and have no plans on remaining in Canada long term.

If you want to move to Canada, you'll need to apply to immigrate. Details about Canada's immigration programs can be found here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada.html

EDIT: With no job experience, you unfortunately won't qualify for any of Canada's immigration programs. So if you want to move to Canada, your first focus should be to obtain at least one year of full time and paid work experience (preferably in a skilled profession).
I did work most of them are in Restaurant and i also work as booke keeper. So no no chances?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I did work most of them are in Restaurant and i also work as booke keeper. So no no chances?
No chance for a visitor visa, work permit or study permit.

To immigrate, you need at least one year of full time paid work experience and it almost always has to be in a skilled profession. So being an accountant would qualify. Working as a restaurant manager might qualify - however washing dishes (for example) in a restaurant would not. You also have to be able to prove the work experience (i.e. pay slips, experience letters, etc.).

Vidi

Apr 19, 2018
As I was going over the comments in this forum I ralized that I may have a chance to move permanently to Canada and start a new life there. My current situation is: I have been in the US since 1997, I am now 36 years old. I became an electrician nearly 18 years ago and currently work as a superintendent in a commercial electrical company. I also do residential on my free time. I am originally from Mexico, but like I said, I have lived here most of my life and have my family here, so there is really nothing for me in Mexico. Can anyone here advise me as to what are my options in obtaining PR in Canada. I have checked with an attorney before and she said my work experience doesn't count because I worked illegally in the US and Canada would not count that under the federal skilled trade program.
Thank you in advance

AdamJ919

May 25, 2018
I have entered the US legally and has been a legal permenant resident for about 8 years before I was placed in deportation for missing an immigration hearing. Only missed 1 day but have been a permenant resident from 2009 to 2017 ( when I was placed in deportation )
Giving the fact that I’m a Muslim, I would really love to go to Canada and have a fresh start ( a much needed 2nd chance ). Do I have any options at all whatsoever ? And thank you in advance