+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Illegal in the USA trying to get legal at Canada... can anybody help?

giorgiod

Aug 13, 2007
I'm an illegal alien in the US and I've been trying to get to Canada through the right way. I'm a mexican Currently living in Chicago, Il. have a good job, can't complaint and the enough experience to work basically anywhere and if I get an offer for anything i don't mind, that's the way I started here in the US anyway. Does anybody have any sugestions or any way to help? I just need to get rid of this situation no mather what. Just sick and tired of being an Illegal person and if I can be legal anywhere else and work and live in peace I'll take it.

Thanks

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
If you entered the U.S. legally with at least a one-year visa, then you can apply from the U.S. (even if you overstayed).

If you didn't enter the U.S. legally, you can still apply from Mexico.

Bottom line: You can apply no matter what, but you have to have been legal at one point to apply through the Buffalo office.

Start here to see if you qualify:

http://www.canadavisa.com/assess/canada-immigration-visa.htm

losvalle

Aug 15, 2007
I am in the same situation. My husband and I entered the US with a permit to stay 6 months. We overstayed. I know that we can't apply in Buffalo. I have a cousin living in Montreal, he has been there 23 years and is now a citizen. He said to apply in Guatemala, which is my home country. But, I wanted to know if we would have to be in Guatemala to apply. Does anyone know? Thanks!

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
Yes, you'll need to go to Guatemala to apply. In the application, you'll provide your address. You cannot use a U.S. address without also showing proof you entered the U.S. legally with permission to stay at least 1 year.

losvalle

Aug 15, 2007
I originally came to the US as an International Student. I was here for over 1 year. Then went home and got married. I returned to the US after I got married (1 1/2 Later) in 1999 and have been here since. Does my stay as an international student count? Or is it the last time I entered that I had to have 1 year? Thanks!

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
Your current stay has to have begun with legal entry of at least 1 year duration.

Don't fret. Processing times for Guatemala city are shorter than Buffalo.

DancingFeather

Star Member
Jan 31, 2006
One must always apply from the country he is from and must go back to his country for the interview...but, one can always apply on humanitarian grounds.

losvalle

Aug 15, 2007
Thanks for your comments. HOw does one apply for Humanitarian reasons? I was also told that If I apply to Quebec, I wouldn't have to worry about my overstay in the US. My cousin lives in Montreal, and has been living there for 23 years. He would like me to move close to him since he is like an uncle to me. I would love to have him close by. It would really help.

losvalle

Aug 15, 2007
Thanks Thaiguy. Would that be like applying as a refugee? My cousin told me that applying like would end in a denial, since Guatemala is not on any kind of political trouble or something like that. The problem with us returning to Guatemala is that there is no work there. WE wouldn't be able to work for the year or so we wait, and then, what if the Canadian Government denies our application, we would have no options but to stay there. Thanks for all the help.

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
Mexicans can visit Canada for 6 months without a visa. But if you want to stay there, you'll have to immigrate.

If you entered the U.S. illegally, then you'll have to go back to Mexico to apply to immigrate to Canada.

boulderguy

Nov 13, 2007
now what if my gf she is a mexican but she is a canadian PR she want to take me with her.. we hava plans of getting married, what should i do?

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
It doesn't matter that your girlfriend is a PR. Canadian immigration doesn't recognize "fiance." You have to get married for it to mean anything.