+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Illegal Immigrants

Discussion in 'Permanent Residency Obligations' started by Danij, Sep 3, 2016.

  1. Hello everyone.
    I'm a female , 28 yrs. I've been living in the US illegally for almost 2 yrs. I came legally on a visitors visa with granted stay of 6 months... A bad decision later here I am fed up of the system I'm caught in.

    I used to work as a Customer Service Supervisor back home.... Now I work at a Chicken shop with long hrs, terrible pay an ungrateful boss.

    Is there a way for me to move to Canada from the us an be legal? I don't want to go back home.
  2. Given your current immigration status, it's extremely unlikely that CIC will issue a temporary resident visa to you. Therefore, your only recourse would be to apply for immigration as a permanent resident, IF you are eligible.
  3. One thing you might want to consider is that the presidential elections are close at hand. If Hillary Clinton is elected, and the Senate changes hands, there is a decent chance that some form of an amnesty bill might get passed, if a few "reasonable" Republicans join with Democrats in the house (a pathway to citizenship for undocumented immigrants). Clinton has said that as part of her campaign promise.
  4. but that could maybe be a year or two away and maybe never if Donald gets elected. Plus given the supposed estimate of 11 million illegals in the US there could be a huge backlog of people to get through leaving the OP still exposed for what was a bad decision in the first place for whatever reason.

    I may be wrong but thought there were some other posts where people had illegal status in the US and in order to apply for Canada PR they had to start the process from their home country to become legal again.
  5. The application has to be sent to her home country's visa office. She can technically remain in the US. However if an interview is required, she will need to travel to her home country to attend the interview. Needless to say, she needs to be 100% forthcoming about her illegal status in the US in her Canadian PR application.

    The OP should be aware that she will automatically trigger a 10 year ban as soon as she leaves the US due to her overstay.
  6. I think that instead of waiting for US reform its better she applies to CIC mentioning the current status (as i saw one of the posts on similar case but got approved after 2-3 years of waiting - its worth given the current status).
    US guys stopped on thinking of immigration reform for the last 10 years. So there is some hope through Canada as per my view as of now.
  7. First step is to see if you actually qualify to immigrate to Canada under one of the current immigration streams. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/eligibility.asp

    If you don't qualify for anything then your situation in the US won't matter as moving to Canada wouldn't be an option anyways.
  8. What does it mean "She can technically remain in the US." ? How does she provide Police Clearance, is Medical possible to do in US, what if passport gets expired?
  9. You can't apply for PR with an expired passport. You need a valid passport to apply for PR.

    The medical can be done anywhere in the world. PCCs can be obtained regardless of where you're living.

Share This Page