+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

If I was banned from entering the USA, can I still apply for a Canadian visa?

LifeDreamer

Feb 14, 2018
Being denied entry to any country in itself does not exclude you from traveling again. It depends on the reason you were denied, and it may not always be an issue. E.g., if a border guard didn't believe you were a genuine tourist or they didn't feel well about your intentions - this does not count.

In your case, you were denied entry because you didn't have the right reasons for using a B1/B2 visa. This is not an immigration violation and is different from actually violating the terms of stay after being admitted and/or overstaying. The difference here is because you came forward with your intentions before being admitted whereas in the other case the person would have lied about the true purpose and intentionally misled the officers.

You would typically get your visa cancelled after such incident and put on the next flight back home, but it does not confer any type of ban and you should be able to apply for a new visa anytime, although you'll be seen as less credible this time around. There are no temporary exclusion mandates in U.S. immigration law other than the 3/10 year bans for over stayers. If you have been excluded then it must be for misrepresentation which is permanent but I find that unlikely in your case.

Your application for a Canadian visa will be affected, but this by no means a deal breaker. As long as you have very strong ties and can explain this incident succinctly you should be fine.

K_JM

Sep 18, 2018
Being denied entry to any country in itself does not exclude you from traveling again. It depends on the reason you were denied, and it may not always be an issue. E.g., if a border guard didn't believe you were a genuine tourist or they didn't feel well about your intentions - this does not count.

In your case, you were denied entry because you didn't have the right reasons for using a B1/B2 visa. This is not an immigration violation and is different from actually violating the terms of stay after being admitted and/or overstaying. The difference here is because you came forward with your intentions before being admitted whereas in the other case the person would have lied about the true purpose and intentionally misled the officers.

You would typically get your visa cancelled after such incident and put on the next flight back home, but it does not confer any type of ban and you should be able to apply for a new visa anytime, although you'll be seen as less credible this time around. There are no temporary exclusion mandates in U.S. immigration law other than the 3/10 year bans for over stayers. If you have been excluded then it must be for misrepresentation which is permanent but I find that unlikely in your case.

Your application for a Canadian visa will be affected, but this by no means a deal breaker. As long as you have very strong ties and can explain this incident succinctly you should be fine.
I was actually banned for 5 years from going to the US.