+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

If I was banned from entering the USA, can I still apply for a Canadian visa?

K_JM

Sep 18, 2018
I was recently deemed inadmissible to the USA after I admitted intentions to work on a B1/B2 visa. I was banned for 5years. I wanted to visit my cousins in Canada, will this affect me applying for a canadian tourist visa. My cousin was already in the process of sending me the invitation letter and other documents.

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
Not by itself. But when you file your TRV application, there would be a question on whether you have ever been denied entry or been removed from any country.

You would have to answer this truthfully (you got a 5 year ban, this means you were removed expeditedly, so you would have to explain this 'deportation').

And of course, the standard applies such as proving (extremely) strong ties to your country of origin, funds, etc.

You can be sure that your application would be double or triple scrutinized because of this incident, and chances of denial are very high (if not 100 percent).

K_JM

Sep 18, 2018
Not by itself. But when you file your TRV application, there would be a question on whether you have ever been denied entry or been removed from any country.

You would have to answer this truthfully (you got a 5 year ban, this means you were removed expeditedly, so you would have to explain this 'deportation').

And of course, the standard applies such as proving (extremely) strong ties to your country of origin, funds, etc.

You can be sure that your application would be double or triple scrutinized because of this incident, and chances of denial are very high (if not 100 percent).
So If it is that I am applying for an intern work and travel program in Canada or even the IAESTE Program, do you think I would be denied because The USA felt I was coming to their country to work without documents?

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
So If it is that I am applying for an intern work and travel program in Canada or even the IAESTE Program, do you think I would be denied because The USA felt I was coming to their country to work without documents?
Yes your immigration history in US will be taken into account for any Canadian visa applications.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Agreed. While it's possible you could be approved, given you US immigration history the chances are extremely slim. And keep in mind, your US immigration history is readily available to IRCC.

carolbb23

VIP Member
Jun 24, 2016
toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
mississauga
App. Filed.......
15\12\2015
Doc's Request.
already did for applications
Nomination.....
n/a
AOR Received.
15/01/2016
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
10/03/2017
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
02/11/2015
Interview........
thank god no interview
Passport Req..
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
28/04/2017
LANDED..........
28/04/2017
Canada and us share information

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
I was recently deemed inadmissible to the USA after I admitted intentions to work on a B1/B2 visa. I was banned for 5years. I wanted to visit my cousins in Canada, will this affect me applying for a canadian tourist visa. My cousin was already in the process of sending me the invitation letter and other documents.
As you violated the conditions attached to your US B1/B2, you can expect refusals for temporary visas for Canada for visiting or a work permit.

Also, your US ban was pretty recent. You would want to wait for at least a year before you attempt a TRV.

In the meantime, you could build new travel history to other visa-required countries. This might help to prove the US visa violation was a 1-off case. And, of course, if you have employment in your country of residence that pays exceptionally well + a strong financial situation (investments, savings, asset ownership, etc) then it is obvious that you will not work illegally when you visit plus you have the financial incentives to return to your country of residence

K_JM

Sep 18, 2018
As you violated the conditions attached to your US B1/B2, you can expect refusals for temporary visas for Canada for visiting or a work permit.

Also, your US ban was pretty recent. You would want to wait for at least a year before you attempt a TRV.

In the meantime, you could build new travel history to other visa-required countries. This might help to prove the US visa violation was a 1-off case. And, of course, if you have employment in your country of residence that pays exceptionally well + a strong financial situation (investments, savings, asset ownership, etc) then it is obvious that you will not work illegally when you visit plus you have the financial incentives to return to your country of residence
I'm really scared to visit any other visa related country right now because I just feel they will deny my application for a visa based on my US history. I'm even scared to go to countries that do not require a visa. I just feel so lost and messed up. I don't know where I stand or what to do.

I'm current a student but I am financially stable with insurances, investments, etc. Not working seem to me like it will make it worst for me going anywhere at all.

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
I'm really scared to visit any other visa related country right now because I just feel they will deny my application for a visa based on my US history. I'm even scared to go to countries that do not require a visa. I just feel so lost and messed up. I don't know where I stand or what to do.
Would suggest that you do not apply for any visa until some time has passed. Preferably after your 5 years banned in the US has passed.

K_JM

Sep 18, 2018
Would suggest that you do not apply for any visa until some time has passed. Preferably after your 5 years banned in the US has passed.
5 years won't work for me as I'm a student and I'm not based in one country. Going to The Bahamas this summer to complete my degree will be very hectic as I might need to transfer through Panama, which I've never done before. Plus I have seminars in Miami that I need to attend. This is why I'm freaking out so much.

Plus requesting a waiver is so expensive and it is not a sure thing that they will lift the ban

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
5 years won't work for me as I'm a student and I'm not based in one country. Going to The Bahamas this summer to complete my degree will be very hectic as I might need to transfer through Panama, which I've never done before. Plus I have seminars in Miami that I need to attend. This is why I'm freaking out so much.

Plus requesting a waiver is so expensive and it is not a sure thing that they will lift the ban
You cannot do anything at point since for sure your ban in the States will definitely your travels to any countries.

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
So your saying I cannot go to the Bahamas even though it's visa-free for my country?
It would likely could if they ask you have you ever been banned and deported from any country at customs. Then you must declare you immigration history and your ban in the US.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
The US never felt you were coming to work without authorization, you told them