+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

If I transfer my Refugee claim file from Toronto to Alberta

tadyt

Apr 24, 2015
Hello Everyone,

I am a new refugee trying to move to Alberta. I don't know the process.will it affect the hearing .I am moving from quebec.

Jan 10, 2017
I am in ontario, my hearing postponded in September and think of going to montreal as well, I will really apreciate it if you can help me with few questions.

1. What did you do with legal aid?

2. You were working or on ontario works? How are you going to survive until you find a job?

3. How do you move your file?

4. I don’t speak french, if you like me, do you go to french classes? Do you get allowance for it?

5. What is the porspect for non french speaker in finding a job while going to french school, is it possible?

Thank you a lot.
I can answer to your few questions:
You'll get hard time to search for a job without knowing french. Sometime people don't like to speak in English but you can learn french and have access get french classes for free.
Legal aid and allowances is not a problem you need to make applications.

EugeniaM

May 17, 2018
Hello, just a question. How is your immigration now since you moved to Montreal? My husband and I just received a Notice of Decision from a court, we are finally Convention Refugees. We live in Toronto, it's time to apply for PR now, but my husband got a job opportunity in Alberta. I called CIC and they confirmed that we can move with no problem and apply for PR from Alberta, but I'm kind of scared. Will it influence the speed of processing time? I don't know what to do...
Hi sorry for a late reply. We had the same situation, we had a hearing in Toronto, got a convention refugee status in Toronto as well and then we moved to Calgary. Everything is great and we applied for PR here, you can totally move after the final decision, no need to be scared=)

EugeniaM

May 17, 2018
Hey guys=) Just wanted to share my travel experince sicnce I got A Convention Refugee status and received my Refugee Travel Document. Obviously, we wanted to go to the beach, we didn't want to apply for a visa, so our choice was Cuba. We went to Cuba for a week and had no problems at all. Coming back to Canada was easy too, the only thing once we had our passports checked at the Canadian Customs the officer asked us to go to a separate room to be asked a few more questions. We did and the only questions they asked us were: -Where did you travel from? -Was Cuba the only county that you've been to?
As you can see it was very easy. Keep in mind that you always need to garb all your docs, not only Travel Documents but Notice of Decision, Work permits, etc....
Hope my story helps someone!
Have fun travelling guys, but always call embassy's to make sure you are allowed no visa entry =)

EugeniaM

May 17, 2018
Also a question to you guys. Has anyone been to Europe with a Candian Refugee Travel Document? What countries besides Germany allow no visa entry?
So far we called the embassy of Netherlands, France, Italy and unfortunately, we've been told that those countries require a visa. It's hard for us to apply for visas in Calgary bcz most of embassies are either in Toronto , Ottawa, or Vancouver. We don't want to spend money on flying to get visas that's why we are looking for some alternatives.

joksuela

Star Member
Sep 27, 2018
Also a question to you guys. Has anyone been to Europe with a Candian Refugee Travel Document? What countries besides Germany allow no visa entry?
So far we called the embassy of Netherlands, France, Italy and unfortunately, we've been told that those countries require a visa. It's hard for us to apply for visas in Calgary bcz most of embassies are either in Toronto , Ottawa, or Vancouver. We don't want to spend money on flying to get visas that's why we are looking for some alternatives.
I am not entirely sure but heard the UK is visa-free as well. Someone can correct me if I am mistaken

joksuela

Star Member
Sep 27, 2018
Believe you are incorrect.
Well, I said I am not entirely sure. I read it somewhere on the forum and nobody corrected it so I assumed it is correct.
If I was traveling to the UK, I would check with the embassy, not with forum strangers on the internet.