+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

If I finish my degree earlier than required, can my spouse continue to work?

N

newtoexpressentry

canuck_in_uk said:
Your work permit is valid until it expires.
really thank u for this information. just to confirm is there an official link about this? Just worried.

hrzafer

Jul 6, 2017
I am in exactly the same situation right now. My OWP expires at 12/21/2017 on my visa. However, my wife graduated 2 months ago and her study permit will be expired in a month. She has already applied for the PGWP a month ago. I hope my OWP does not expire in a month!

Is there anything new about this situation? Any official sources?

N

newtoexpressentry

ur OWP is valid till its date I had the same question and I had no problems

alessio2110

Star Member
May 19, 2018
I am doing a Master degree at a public university and my husband has come over to Canada on "open work permit for spouse of international student". He has successfully secured a skilled job in NOC A and has started working now. Both of our visas (my study permit, his open work permit) has the length of 2 years.

There is one problem now. I tend to study "too fast" (i.e. took many courses within one semester) and there's a tendency for me to graduate earlier than the regular timeline of my program. According to the new regulation released by CIC a few days back, I know that once I graduate, my study permit will expire within 90 days.

Will my husband's open work permit also expire within 90 days upon my graduation? If he wants to continue his current job, what can he do? what can I do?

I know that for myself I can just apply a post-graduate work permit for international students; but I'm not sure how to let my husband also continue to have the valid work visa in Canada. Currently, my husband suggests me to "slow down" my pace in study and deliberately delay the graduation day. But my thinking is that: isn't it better that I have stronger study capabilities and graduate earlier than requirement? I think there might be better ways than deliberately delaying the graduation.

Hope to hear some suggestions in this forum. Thanks so much!
Hi enrencie,
I'm currently having the same situation as you did and haven't found any answer. You might have resolved this by now. May I ask what the final answer is?

Ruhan

May 5, 2016
Hi guys,

My current scenario is- my wife is studying at BC and hope to finish with in April 2019.
Now from my country, if I apply for owp, will it be rejected by considering the fact that less than a year left to finish the study?

Should I apply for TRV so that if VISA is approved then after landing I can apply for Work permit?

Regards
RZ

honeybee2017

Jul 14, 2017
No. Your husband's permit is valid until the expiry date it states, regardless of when you finish your studies.

Once you've graduated, you can apply for the PGWP. If you are able to secure a NOC 0, A or B job, then your husband can apply for a new OWP that will be valid for the length of your PGWP. If you don't get a skilled job, your husband won't qualify for another OWP through your status. To continue his current job, his employer would need to obtain a positive LMO so he could apply for a closed work permit. If the employer won't do that, he can try to find another employer that will. If that doesn't work, he would need to change his status to visitor or leave Canada.

If your husband qualifies for CEC, applies and passes eligibility before his current permit expires, he could then apply for a Bridging Open Work Permit.
Hi Canuck,

I have a similar case to this OP, but I have just noticed an unusual disclaimer in the notes/observation section of my spouse's open work permit.
I have just completed my graduate program. Study permit was granted for 2 years from Aug 2018 to November 2020, but I have finished within 1 year. I understand that my study permit will become invalid 90 days after receiving letter of completion, irrespective of expiry date. While my spouse's open work permit is valid until Nov 2020 to coincide with my study permit expiration, I am seeing this note at the bottom that says "Open work permit only valid while spouse is a full-time student at a designated learning institution." I am really concerned and worried about this statement. The immigration consultants I have visited have never seen this note. My spouse is currently working and I will soon apply for PGWP. I am actively trying to find a NOC 0, A or B job to eventually have spouse work permit extended, but this note is baffling and may have serious implications for any plans going forward at this time.

Seeking any kind of help and insights from anyone in figuring this out. Thanks

Daksha Singh

Oct 17, 2019
Hi,

I am Daksha and I am in same situation, I would like to know what happened and what is the correct approach for this situation.

Thanks,
Daksha

Taduef

Mar 21, 2018
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/help-your-spouse-common-law-partner-work-canada.html

How long is the open work permit valid for?
Your spouse or common-law partner’s work permit will be valid for the same period of time as your study permit.

So this statement might answer our questions on this issue.
Read together,

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit.html

How long can you stay in Canada with a study permit?
A study permit is usually valid for the length of your study program, plus an extra 90 days. The 90 days let you prepare to leave Canada or apply to extend your stay.

Mhdotca

Mar 27, 2021
Hi everyone, is there any kind of definition regarding the SWOP status on a early a graduation of the studying spouse scenario?

A. SWOP expires when spouses study permit expires
B. SWOP expires after 90 days of the spouses study permit expires
C. SWOP is canceled only when it expires

Thanks!

No. Your husband's permit is valid until the expiry date it states, regardless of when you finish your studies.

Once you've graduated, you can apply for the PGWP. If you are able to secure a NOC 0, A or B job, then your husband can apply for a new OWP that will be valid for the length of your PGWP. If you don't get a skilled job, your husband won't qualify for another OWP through your status. To continue his current job, his employer would need to obtain a positive LMO so he could apply for a closed work permit. If the employer won't do that, he can try to find another employer that will. If that doesn't work, he would need to change his status to visitor or leave Canada.

If your husband qualifies for CEC, applies and passes eligibility before his current permit expires, he could then apply for a Bridging Open Work Permit.