+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IELTS - Writing - For Band 7 or Above.

Hannan Khan

Star Member
Aug 25, 2010
Hey @cansha . Hope all is well. I am stuck at 6/6.5 for 3 attempts and am preparing for the 4th on 9th Feb. Today's result really devastated me as I stooped to 6 in writing for the first time.

One mistake I committed this time was of writing about 340 words. I know it was a mistake but I got too carried away with Task Response and ideas development. I sent an essay to Chris @ IA and got the feedback that my ideas weren't being fully developed. Do you think I got a low band because of writing too many words? I was confident about the structure and grammar, however, I may have written 2 conclusions.

First one was wherein I gave my opinion and the essay pretty much ended and then I thought to myself wait this is my opinion paragraph, I may need to write a conclusion too. So I wrote a conclusion which may have been repetitive. Is an opinion paragraph good enough to serve as a conclusion?

Anyway, aside from my unwarranted rant, do you think I would ever be able to achieve a 7, other module scores remaining constant. Here are my scores so far, and I am really re-contemplating my decision to crack this headache of a test.

LRWS 7.5,8.5,6.5,8 (this was back in 2016)
8.5,8.5,6.5,7.5 (Nov 2018)
8.5,7,6,7 (Jan 2018)

I will be sending some essays over the next couple of weeks. I would really appreciate if you could help me out.

Thanks,

Disappointed.

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
Hey @cansha . Hope all is well. I am stuck at 6/6.5 for 3 attempts and am preparing for the 4th on 9th Feb. Today's result really devastated me as I stooped to 6 in writing for the first time.

One mistake I committed this time was of writing about 340 words. I know it was a mistake but I got too carried away with Task Response and ideas development. I sent an essay to Chris @ IA and got the feedback that my ideas weren't being fully developed. Do you think I got a low band because of writing too many words? I was confident about the structure and grammar, however, I may have written 2 conclusions.

First one was wherein I gave my opinion and the essay pretty much ended and then I thought to myself wait this is my opinion paragraph, I may need to write a conclusion too. So I wrote a conclusion which may have been repetitive. Is an opinion paragraph good enough to serve as a conclusion?

Anyway, aside from my unwarranted rant, do you think I would ever be able to achieve a 7, other module scores remaining constant. Here are my scores so far, and I am really re-contemplating my decision to crack this headache of a test.

LRWS 7.5,8.5,6.5,8 (this was back in 2016)
8.5,8.5,6.5,7.5 (Nov 2018)
8.5,7,6,7 (Jan 2018)

I will be sending some essays over the next couple of weeks. I would really appreciate if you could help me out.

Thanks,

Disappointed.
Hi,

Well writing 340 words not necessarily means a low score but yes more words means more chances of mistakes. So, that may have happened.
The feedback that you received is I guess consistent with the feedback I had given to you on some essays. I think task response is the most important thing.

My suggestion would be to push your IELTS by 2 weeks if you can. If you can't that is also fine. You have enough time but then your preparation needs to be targeted.

One of the biggest mistake I think is that many people don't actually spend time in reading and understanding what is expected from IELTS essay. I have said this countless time here ... practice makes perfect but practicing wrong things doesn't help.

My biggest suggestion is DO NOT WRITE any essay for next one week instead take two days away from all this. Then spend one day reviewing IETLS essay types again. You may think you already know it but do it anyways. Use IELTS Liz website to do so.

After that spend time in reading essays and reviews on this thread. If you go back 2/3 pages you will find a post from me with a bunch of links to reviews or useful info on this thread. Please spend some time and read all that and make notes. A week should be good enough to do this.

Once you have done that come back with an essay and we will see what areas still need work. And I will know from the very first essay itself whether you actually spent time reading the reviews or not.

Don't worry you will be able to score 7+ but yes you need some focus and really need to read a lot more. I'm here to help. Also, score dropping to 6 from 6.5 doesn't mean much. So, don't let that get to your head.

All the best!

velocityblood

Star Member
Jan 4, 2019
India
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Kindly scrutinize the below essay, highlight every possible mistake

Essay Title: Everyone should start eating vegetarian because it helps improve health. To what extent do you agree?

Although it is believed by many that eating vegetarian food helps sustain good health but it is also to be considered that doctors recommend to include fish and meat to maintain good health. In my opinion having a mix of vegetarian and non-vegetarian eatables, which provides enough vitamin and proteins, helps keep good health.

There are people who believe that eating vegetarian food such as pulses, green vegetables, fruits milk is ideal for maintaining good health. For instance vegetables such as carrot, radish helps build the muscles stronger and increase the immunity, which leads to lesser suffering due to joint pains during old ages, moreover dairy products, which are made of milk, provides different types of vitamins to the human body and keeps human body from weakness.

At the same time, there are people who believe that consuming meat is good for health compared to eating vegetarian. Eating meat provides strength to the muscles when consumed in a correct amount. It is often seen people in the profession of bodybuilding consume a considerable amount of meat, to gain the energy, which ultimately leads to strengthening body muscles and build stamina. Even it is recommended by physicians to include at least egg/fish, in the daily breakfast to avoid skipping protein required, for the good health.

I have a partial agreement on the fact that everyone should eat only vegetarian, as vegetarian food does not provide all kind of proteins and vitamins required for good health, and thus it is always a good idea to include non-vegetarian food in the diet.
Please evaluate this

Aug 4, 2015
Hi Hope&faith & Cansha, I will be thankful if you could proofread below essay & give your valuable reviews on it.

Wealth does not necessarily guaranty happiness.

To what extent do you agree with this statement?

Provide reasons for your answer. Include relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.

Having an ample amount of money does not necessarily brings joy, it has been a debatable topic invariably, as some believe that money can buy happiness & on the contrary some differ on this aspect. However, I do not agree with the statement that immense richness assures life pleasure always.

Firstly, Being filthy rich is not a surety to enjoyment because an unhealthy affluent person can never live happily. For Instance – A half body wealthy paralyzed man cannot drive his expensive Ferrari car parked in his garage, Similarly, A well successful person with no loved ones living with him in big mansion would never understand the cheerful life of family staying together under one roof. Further, Bill Gates once said “I understand wanting millions but beyond that it is all same” as it is extrinsic & No one knows how much is too much.

Many people however believe that Money can achieve all the happiness, To illustrate – money could please a homeless person who can not afford the basics, also, a deadly disease might get cured & saved by getting treated in advance technology equipped health centers. Moreover, Most of individuals would like to associate with the well off person. Evidently, a life of rich people is much smoother & better than of an indignant people.

In Conclusion – Yet money plays a significant role in every human beings life, but money is not the only route to happiness. Therefore, one should not give too much weightage to money over love, respect & relationship. Because love last forever but money doesn’t. Wealth could give temporary happiness not permanently.

Last edited:

Adolescent

Star Member
Sep 3, 2018
Category........
AINP
NOC Code......
Hello All,

Could anyone share paid videos or at least sample essays of Liz? I sat IELTS for 2 times but stuck in writing at 6.5. I would really appreciate your help.

Temilade

Dec 15, 2018
I can’t believe I’m posting this.... but I got my Jan 5th test results 9/8.5/7/7.5
I thought I was going crazy when I didn’t see a 6 anywhere
Congratulations to you.
Pls, can you help with the materials you used for studying and preparing for ielts because I am sucked at 6.5 in listening and writing. Thanks

Nov 21, 2018
My first try at agree disagree Essay.
Wealth does not necessarily guaranty happiness.

To what extent do you agree with this statement?

In this materialistic world, there is no iota of doubt that happiness is considered to be directly proportional to one’s possession in terms of the monetary wealth. In my opinion, money do play an indispensable part in our lives but true happiness should be measured in terms of true experiences of life giving ultimate satisfaction to the soul.

To commence with, there are myriad of reasons why money is regarded as the sole reason for happiness. Firstly, the basic necessities of life such as food, water, shelter and clothes comes with the money only. Moreover, financially under-fortunate people project the ones living luxurious lives as the happiest ones. To examplify, a survey was conducted with 50 students of a local school where a picture of two same aged person was shown on a projector, one was lying in a king-sized bed with Air Conditioner and the other was on floor sweating and they were asked who seems happy. All 50 students answered the one in bed. Secondly, owing to mushrooming tertiary education fees, the students who are financially sound enjoys the joy of being admitted to universities. So it can be said that money can buy you a living.

On the flip side, it is contended that happiness is just a state of mind and every happiness cannot be cashed and I agree. One of its factual description is before the birth of money, the existence of barter system years ago when people were happy irrespective of their possessions. Besides that, true happiness lies in other aspects and experiences of life. Some people feel complete when they are with their family members and spending quality time with them while other search for spiritual joy that drive them towards ultimate satisfaction.

To recapitulate, despite the fact that money assists us to gain the basic requirements to lead a good life and most of the electrifying experiences of life comes with money only, I strongly recommend that it should not be seen as the only reason. After all, money can buy you a home, but not a family. And it can buy you a bed and not sleep.

Nov 21, 2018
fine, good paraphrasing.

suggestion,
you can simply state your opinion like
In my opinion, technological changes has no role in increasing the financial gap between these two sections

good, but nothing extraordinary

and nothing about technology,

vague language

lack of focus, vague.

read old essay reviews, not a 7 band one.
Thank you It means a lot

Zigzag85

Oct 20, 2017
Congratulations to you.
Pls, can you help with the materials you used for studying and preparing for ielts because I am sucked at 6.5 in listening and writing. Thanks
YouTube was the only material I had.
The listening tests on YouTube are fine for practice.
I watched a guy called Jay for the writing.
He’s okay but LIZ is better

Nov 21, 2018
1. Governments should spend more money on education than on recreation and sports.Do you agree or disagree?

It is often argued that only small portion of government grants should be assigned for Sports and recreational activities and major portion should be deployed for enhancing quality of education. I staunchly disagree because, such actvities play an important role at individual as well as national level and if Sponsered by government it can proove to be a benediction for both.

Firstly, Recreation activities like plays, museums and Movies are of great importance because they help in educating today's youth about history of a nation. One such example is, Jallianwala Bagh Museum in Amritsar, which depicts the incident of 1918 Riots. Moreover, Multitude can be educated about causes and preventive measures of various health diseases by medium of Movies. Therefore, an individual and country both can be benefited by them.

Moving Further, Sports activities play an important role in a nation's Economy, as Sports has become business today. Sportspersons are earning exhorbitant money by participating in international games like Olympics. At the same time, they represent their Country, which helps build a good image about their nation Worldwide. To Exemplify, Saina Nehwal was a normal girl before she won Gold Medal in Olympic 2012 and now she has become a popular face around the globe. Hence, Government should invest good amount of money in sports activities.

In conclusion, Government should invest a good portion in Sports and recreation, Although education is Important for today's youth but at the same time Sports and recreational activities are equally important, it educates people of a nation and help them become financially strong and famous , at the same time, leading nation on the path of growth.

i hope i am not posting too many essays

ieltscanada

Jan 19, 2019
Hello Friends i would need you help to evaluate my letter:
Topic :
Your local hospital has advertised people to do unpaid work helping at the hospital. You would like to do some work at the hospital in your free time.

Dear Sir/Madam ,
My name is Sana khan, i am a resident of hertfordshire, England. I am writing to you as i came across an advertisement given by hospital where on could do some unpaid work to help out at the hospital. I wanted to let you know that i am very interested in this opportunity as i would like to do as much for the community as i can.

I have recently finished exams for my degree and awaiting results. Therefore,i have quite a bit of free time on my hands and plan to utilize it in a productive & efficient manner. That is why i decided to pursue this endeavour. I don't have any medical knowledge but i have worked as a receptionist during my previous summer break and therefore i am skilled at taking care of front desk and guiding people on their next steps.

I am able to start work next Monday 21st June. I can work for 6 hrs a day all weekdays .Please feel free to reach out to meif you have further queries. My contact details are mentioned at the bottom. I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely,
Ms. Sana Khan

Hannan Khan

Star Member
Aug 25, 2010
Hi,

Well writing 340 words not necessarily means a low score but yes more words means more chances of mistakes. So, that may have happened.
The feedback that you received is I guess consistent with the feedback I had given to you on some essays. I think task response is the most important thing.

My suggestion would be to push your IELTS by 2 weeks if you can. If you can't that is also fine. You have enough time but then your preparation needs to be targeted.

One of the biggest mistake I think is that many people don't actually spend time in reading and understanding what is expected from IELTS essay. I have said this countless time here ... practice makes perfect but practicing wrong things doesn't help.

My biggest suggestion is DO NOT WRITE any essay for next one week instead take two days away from all this. Then spend one day reviewing IETLS essay types again. You may think you already know it but do it anyways. Use IELTS Liz website to do so.

After that spend time in reading essays and reviews on this thread. If you go back 2/3 pages you will find a post from me with a bunch of links to reviews or useful info on this thread. Please spend some time and read all that and make notes. A week should be good enough to do this.

Once you have done that come back with an essay and we will see what areas still need work. And I will know from the very first essay itself whether you actually spent time reading the reviews or not.

Don't worry you will be able to score 7+ but yes you need some focus and really need to read a lot more. I'm here to help. Also, score dropping to 6 from 6.5 doesn't mean much. So, don't let that get to your head.

All the best!
Hey Cansha,

First of all thank you for the valuable suggestions. I am definitely going to remember these.

Secondly, the test dates in Feb are weird. The 2 GT tests are just 5 days apart with the second test being conducted on a weekday.

I don't want to push this to the next month so I can, maybe, opt for the weekday i.e. 14th Feb. Wow! Could 8777 be my valentine this year?!

That done, I will focus on the essay types today and then read the reviews on the thread for next few days.

See you soon,

Thanks!