+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IELTS - Writing - For Band 7 or Above.

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
Ladies and Gents,

I got the result of my EOR today (checked online)
I got boosted to 7 in writing.
I am in disbelief, in shock, in a dream.
After 7 attempts:

1st: 8.5, 7, 6.5, 6 (LRSW) (03/03/18)
2nd: 7.5, 6.5, 7, 6 (07/04/2018)
3rd: 7.5, 8, 8, 6 (21/04/2018)
4th: 8.5, 8.5, 7.5, 6.5 (02/06/2018) (EOR unchanged)
5th: 7, 7.5, 7, 6.5 (30/06/2018)
6th: 7.5, 7, 7.5, 6.5 (08/09/2018)
7th 8.5, 8, 7.5, 6.5 (24/11/2018) [Applied EOR: Result: 8.5, 8, 7.5, 7]

I finally cleared IELTS. 9 months of constant trying... spending over $5,000 in IELTS because my country does not have IELTS, for each attempt, I had to travel to another country.
I tried many things but thank to Allah, I have finally done it. It took a huge effort, mental strength, determination, will-power, and support from friends, families, and those we dream Canada together. Do not give up. Practice and get your essay corrected to find where your weaknesses are.

I am posting here to boost your morale and to thank you for your support in my difficult times. My name is Mohamed and you may contact me via private message any info you may need from me. Thank you.

Thank you @cansha @H0peAndFa1th for checking my essays and posting a lot of very helpful posts in here.
Congrats buddy! Very happy for you.

Reactions: nns14

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
I just got my results for computer based ielts written on 9th Dec
L- 8.5, R-7.5, W- 6.5, S-8
I was confident of my essay but I know I wrote 142 words for letter.

First attempt
L-9,R-8,W- 6.5,S- 7.. sent for reval.

Guys I really need your help to score 7 in writing. I Think I can go for only one more attempt coz I have two kids and it’s tough to study with toddlers and i can give maximum up to two hours a day for preparation. Please let me know how to push to score 7. I can write again in jan end.
Wait for reval for now.

priteshgondalia

Star Member
Apr 3, 2018
Hi, Here I would like to share my success story.

I gave this exam 8 times and in the last attempt, I received overall 8 bands with LRS8 and W7. I was missing 7 in writing but this time I chose to take enough time to prepare myself and learn how to get band 7.

So here are my advice,
1) Follow @cansha 's tips from this forum. He has mentioned useful tips, strategies, common mistakes and things that reduce the band. Learn and understand them.
2) Find a good teacher or a person who checks your essay and point outs your mistakes. This will help you identify why you get 6.5 or less.
3) Use simple vocabulary. Let me give my example: I was asked in writing section 2 for spending a lot of money on weddings. And rather than writing the uncommon or complex synonyms of wedding and money, I just used wedding and marriage everywhere in the essay with a few adjectives, such as lavish and expensive.
4) Write on the topic only. If you are on topic in each and every line, then you have more chances to get 7 band. I made one grammatical mistake, but I wrote everything on the topic.
5) I followed this method. Write topic sentences of paragraphs connected to the topic and whole paragraph connected to the topic sentence.
Nothing else. Which means never write common lines, such as this essay will... , there are some basic advantages or disadvantages.
6) One last tip. Only write 250-290 words.

I hope this helps.

Thank you @cansha, you have played a key role in this journey.
Thank you all,

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
Hi, Here I would like to share my success story.

I gave this exam 8 times and in the last attempt, I received overall 8 bands with LRS8 and W7. I was missing 7 in writing but this time I chose to take enough time to prepare myself and learn how to get band 7.

So here are my advice,
1) Follow @cansha 's tips from this forum. He has mentioned useful tips, strategies, common mistakes and things that reduce the band. Learn and understand them.
2) Find a good teacher or a person who checks your essay and point outs your mistakes. This will help you identify why you get 6.5 or less.
3) Use simple vocabulary. Let me give my example: I was asked in writing section 2 for spending a lot of money on weddings. And rather than writing the uncommon or complex synonyms of wedding and money, I just used wedding and marriage everywhere in the essay with a few adjectives, such as lavish and expensive.
4) Write on the topic only. If you are on topic in each and every line, then you have more chances to get 7 band. I made one grammatical mistake, but I wrote everything on the topic.
5) I followed this method. Write topic sentences of paragraphs connected to the topic and whole paragraph connected to the topic sentence.
Nothing else. Which means never write common lines, such as this essay will... , there are some basic advantages or disadvantages.
6) One last tip. Only write 250-290 words.

I hope this helps.

Thank you @cansha, you have played a key role in this journey.
Thank you all,
Congrats on your success and all the best for next steps.

harvey0898

Dec 15, 2018
Finally the good news came yesterday afternoon.
IELTS Cleared with flying colors. This was my 4th attempt
first two attempts were paper based and the last two were on computer. I followed E2 IELTS.
L9
R8.5
S8
W7.5

Hannan Khan

Star Member
Aug 25, 2010
@cansha
I am looking for that golden 7 in writing and have been consistently managing to fall .5 band short. Can you please evaluate my essay. Thanks for the great work you do.

Toys are available to most children, however, some kids have a large stock of toys provided by their parents. Although toys are important for the children, purchasing extra toys has some disadvantages. The toys stock for children should always be non-superfluous.

Toys play an important role in the upbringing of a child. Aside from the precious lessons, children learn from their parents, toys can help teach them a lot of things. There are a number of interactive toys available in the markets that can teach children grammar and mathematics in their early age. I have seen my cousins learn from a room full of interactive toys which made things much easier for the parents.

Secondly, toys keep the children entertained while their parents can focus on other chores. Children these days need unwavered attention and it could become difficult for the parents to be with them all the time. Toys can help parents sneak out some time and work on other tasks.

On the other hand, a superfluous stock of toys is usually a result of shopping extravaganza which is bad for the parents pockets. Purchasing toys beyond the need of the children is doing injustice to the hard-earned money which can be spent on other necessities.

Moreover, purchasing a huge stock of toys may make the children materialistic. Children often become stubborn when all wishes are fulfilled at once and they are not taught that some things have to be earned. I have seen a number of children who had a superfluous toy stock which made them materialistic as they grew up.

To conclude, toys are an important repertoire for children but their purchase should be kept in check. The parents should not provide extra toys to the children as it would make them materialistic and less interactive with humans. This would also result in the better allocation of household incomes.

kangkang1

Nov 26, 2018
@ Cansha please evaluate- written under exam conditions, i admit that vocabulary is poor. What score would you give?

Recently, people think internet has made it easy to study university courses online from home. few think that class room courses are better.
discuss both views and give your opinion.

It is debated that learning over the internet has become more convenient than enrolling in courses at college campus.
This essay will discuss both views and agree that studying graduate subjects online are more convenient because there are no time constraints.
A reasoned conclusion will follow.

At the outset, if a student enrolls in an online study , he is not confined to read during the work timings of that institute.
This is to say that, whenever an individual indulges in learning a topic online, one has the convenience of reading its matter either at day time or after midnight.Therefore, one is capable of completing his course on time comfortably.For example, my friend has enrolled in an online digital marketing course due to the fact that he is unable to attend the college, as he is working for an organization.Therefore, he is able to read the subject materials comfortably because he can do it as per his desire.

Nevertheless, a few people consider that it is better if a pupil studies at a university classroom because it enables one to interact with the tutors directly to clear one's doubts and understand the matter in more effective way. Nonetheless, the facility to communicate with teachers is available if one utilises softwares such as skype, which are prevalent over the high speed internet connections. To illustrate, many students nowadays are capable of communicating with instructors to get a better command on the topic through internet , owing to the advancement in computer technologies.

In conclusion, it is clearly stated that learning a subject over the internet is hugely comfortable considering the fact that there are no time restrictions for the students.Some people think that classroom teaching is better due to the interactive session it provides, however, this provision can be availed through several applications available online.

RAGHAVK

Star Member
Nov 10, 2018
@cansha

Please evaluate my essay. I'd be glad if u can help me out.

In some cities and towns all over the world, the high volume of traffic is a problem. What are the causes of this and what actions can be taken to solve this problem?

Globally, certain urban areas are experiencing terrible traffic and a major reason cited for this menace is huge number of vehicles on roads. There are various profound solutions which needs immediate implementation to circumvent this issue.

Apparently, the rapidly increasing population in urban areas is a major reason for high traffic. Firstly, only urban areas are prioritised for industrial and infrastructure projects so many people migrate towards these for better job opportunities and standard of living. In India, for instance, many graduates migrate to Bengaluru, Chennai, Mumbai and Hyderabad for high paying jobs and facilities these cities offer. So focusing development of urban areas lead to increase in population.

Another significant reason is poor public transportation facilities offered in these urban areas. Because of heavily crowded local trains and buses and their poor frequency, people cannot rely on public transportation which in turn forces every individual to find an easy alternate option to commute. As a result, people purchase more vehicles for commuting which chokes these urban areas.

Nevertheless, there are solutions which the Government need to implement to tackle the traffic issues. Firstly, as part of its due diligence, Government should improve the infrastructure considering the rapidly increasing population by widening roads, introducing comfortable and frequent buses and trains. Singapore, for instance, is managing its traffic amazingly despite its dense population by operating frequent buses and trains. Lastly, Government should take measure to curb the migration of people by ensuring development happens bilaterally instead of urban areas.

To conclude, drastically increasing number of vehicles and partial development is the primary cause for heavy traffic which can be curbed if Government can vehemently improve their public transportation and focus developing rural area by providing facilities and job opportunities.

Hannan Khan

Star Member
Aug 25, 2010
@cansha
I am looking for that golden 7 in writing and have been consistently managing to fall .5 band short. Can you please evaluate my essay. Thanks for the great work you do.

Toys are available to most children, however, some kids have a large stock of toys provided by their parents. Although toys are important for the children, purchasing extra toys has some disadvantages. The toys stock for children should always be non-superfluous.

Toys play an important role in the upbringing of a child. Aside from the precious lessons, children learn from their parents, toys can help teach them a lot of things. There are a number of interactive toys available in the markets that can teach children grammar and mathematics in their early age. I have seen my cousins learn from a room full of interactive toys which made things much easier for the parents.

Secondly, toys keep the children entertained while their parents can focus on other chores. Children these days need unwavered attention and it could become difficult for the parents to be with them all the time. Toys can help parents sneak out some time and work on other tasks.

On the other hand, a superfluous stock of toys is usually a result of shopping extravaganza which is bad for the parents pockets. Purchasing toys beyond the need of the children is doing injustice to the hard-earned money which can be spent on other necessities.

Moreover, purchasing a huge stock of toys may make the children materialistic. Children often become stubborn when all wishes are fulfilled at once and they are not taught that some things have to be earned. I have seen a number of children who had a superfluous toy stock which made them materialistic as they grew up.

To conclude, toys are an important repertoire for children but their purchase should be kept in check. The parents should not provide extra toys to the children as it would make them materialistic and less interactive with humans. This would also result in the better allocation of household incomes.
This is the question:
Some parents buy their children a large number of toys to play with. What are the advantages and disadvantages for the child of having a large number of toys?

Meant to write include this in the post and cannot edit for some reason.

Adolescent

Star Member
Sep 3, 2018
Category........
AINP
NOC Code......
Disclaimer: As a writer of this thread, I never got more or less than 6.5 in writing.

I am stuck at 6.5 bands in writing, got personal training from ex-ielts examiner, she explained alot, but still no avail, read books/info/tutorials from various ex-examiners, such as ielts-simon.com, Ryan higgins (ieltsielts.com), ielts Liz and many others I can't remember now.

My other maximum scores, Reading: 9 ( in both AC & GT), Listening: 8.5 , Speaking: 7.5, in short: Reading depends on your vocabulary, Listening and Speaking is luck. I admit that my grammar is weak, at least I feel that.

enough about me, Let's Talk business.

in this forum, there are many others like me, So I want to focus only on writing.

Feedback From IDP on writing

This is just a starting, I will add learning material, essays, essay analysis, written essays by me etc.

Let's admit that, we fail at writing and there is no conspiracy theory. Let us work towards improving it.

Please Share writing material, tips, tricks etc.

Post your own essays

I would like to suggest that you should take print out of this pdf file.
its cleared sample answer sheet pdf,
then
write on that, in time bound manner, like in 30 minutes
Click picture of it and post here, then we can check each others mistakes.
Make sure your handwriting is understandable and picture is nice.
Code:
 PDF:
https://uploadocean.com/eg22ddhpevxa
https://sendit.cloud/xqcitn78kx1e
I really hope we can work something out here.

Writing Materials

1. IELTS Academic & General Task 2. How to Write at a Band 9 Level (2017) -Ryan Higgins
note: I think this is the best source to know what cohesion and coherence is.
Code:
https://sendit.cloud/yxc3cmnc20zb
https://uploadocean.com/gwu8my7znuba
2. Essay Writing for English Tests by Gabi Duigu
note : This book should be your first book to understand what kind of writing they want from you, it was re-printed in 2003, I think this is mother of most of other ielts books, others are spin-off of this one.
Code:
https://sendit.cloud/6mjetq4kwjf7
https://uploadocean.com/6vgvszt4d930
3. IELTS Writing General Task 1 - How to write at a band 9 level -Ryan Higgins
note: Precise and clear in less time.
Code:
https://uploadocean.com/4aveqeoqi002
https://sendit.cloud/iaod6hvt090n

More material will come..
Do you still have those books? Links are not working.

Adolescent

Star Member
Sep 3, 2018
Category........
AINP
NOC Code......
Hello

Hope you all are well. I need your advise on the following:
My passport doesn't show a . (Dot) amid my name. However, all other educational documents mention . (dot). So, I put a .while registering for IELTS with British Council (BC). Will it be an issue on the test day (11Jan 19) to verify me or later in the immigration process?

Please help.

Aug 4, 2015
Hi Cansha, May you be kind enough to check my below written essay & shed some light on Errors that i have made in this.

Question - Both Government & Individuals are spending vast amounts of money protecting animals & their Habitat. This money could be better spent dealing with fundamental issues in society such as poverty & health care.

To what extent do you agree?

Introduction - These days large amount of expenditure being made by the administrators & various bodies on saving non human species and their shelters while the same funds could bring more satisfactory results if spent to tackle basic problems like indigence & medical care for social welfare.

BD 1 - Although, it is only human being’s moral responsibility to look after dumb animals & provide them a place to live. However, I believe that there are lots of imperative obligations which could not be overlooked by the government & individual, some of them are offering very basic necessities such as food, clean water, home & proper health care. Therefore, ruling party should keep a check on these factors and invest citizens’ taxed money on public welfare; they could make sure that there are enough medical facilities are available for deprived people. For Instance – They should run a free health Check up campaign time to time in public hospitals for those who could not afford those expensive tests in private Clinics.

BD 2 - Furthermore, In order to diminish the health care issues, government could also spend money on various projects, For Example – regular fogging operations to kill harmful mosquitoes on the street & keep them at bay from spreading many diseases. There could be sufficient number of public parks & supply clean filtered drinkable water, In addition, construction of public offices & health centers projects which could generate employment for its nationals that would give opportunities for those who are under educated & do not possess any special skills, it would ultimately a step to suppress the poverty to a great extent.

In conclusion, Human’s basic requirements should be given higher priority over animals by the administrator because if their needs are well fulfilled & taken care of then they could help the government to protect animals from getting abused & look after them.

Last edited:

dhruvnu

Dec 19, 2018
Hi,
Can you please reveiw the following essay and tell the probable band score:
Some people think that cooking is an important skill for young people to learn. Others believe that it is better for people to learn how to cook after they become adults. Discuss both these views and give your own opinion. Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience. Write at least 250 words.

Getting access to healthy and hygienically prepared food is a challenge nowadays. In fact, people who know cooking are blessed to be able to make themselves a meal, rather than being dependent on others. In the fast changing world, one of the most important skills, i.e. preparing food has been neglected for pursuing academic and professional goals.

I feel that people should be encouraged to learn cooking right from a young age, starting from basic food items and graduating to more difficult ones depending on their interest. Inculcated with culinary skills, the young students need not depend solely on food in hostel mess or tiffin services. They can prepare something of interest at their own convenience. One of my family friends has found it really difficult to adapt to the change in food options at his new school. Since, he was from South India; he was not comfortable with food in hostel mess and nearby canteens which is mostly based on North Indian menu. Had he learnt cooking prior to shifting, he would not have to face these difficulties.

Some people feel learning to cook to be useful only after people turn adults. They feel that young people might not be able to exercise caution required while cooking, thereby causing small injuries or accidents. They advocate that since cooking requires due amount of care, young people should strictly be kept away from it.

I feel that food is a basic necessity and it is very important to get healthy food that we like to eat. While, cooking may be learnt at adulthood as well, people may not find sufficient time to devote towards learning culinary skills as they attend college or office. Hence, I strongly advise people to encourage their young children to take keen interest in cooking.

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
@cansha
So topic is

Some parents buy their children a large number of toys to play with. What are the advantages and disadvantages for the child of having a large number of toys?

Toys are available to most children, Where is this mentioned in the topic? You need to paraphrase not create additional details.
however, some kids have a large stock of toys provided by their parents.

Although toys are important for the children, purchasing extra toys has some disadvantages. The toys stock for children should always be non-superfluous. Give a glimpse of the essay here. What are the advantages and disadvantages?
Weak introduction. You need to read more on it. There are plenty of reviews in the previous pages so I don't want to repeat everything here.

Secondly, Where is the firstly to go with this secondly?

toys keep the children entertained while their parents can focus on other chores. Children these days need unwavered attention and it could become difficult for the parents to be with them all the time. Toys can help parents sneak out some time and work on other tasks. This sounds like an advantage more for parents then kids. Isn't it.
I get the gist of the point you are trying to make but the point is lost in the explanation you are giving here.

On the other hand, Where is on the one hand to go with this. Why are you using half constructs? You are killing your own essay. Examiner would feel this person knows half of the construct but doesn't know other half.

a superfluous stock of toys is usually a result of shopping extravaganza which is bad for the parents pockets. Purchasing toys beyond the need of the children is doing injustice to the hard-earned money which can be spent on other necessities. Again sounds like disadvantages for the parent not the child?
I guess the topic is advantages and disadvantages for the child. Last two para seems to be focused on the parents instead.

Moreover, purchasing a huge stock of toys may make the children materialistic. Okay finally some point on kids.

Children often become stubborn when all wishes are fulfilled at once and they are not taught that some things have to be earned. I have seen a number of children who had a superfluous toy stock which made them materialistic as they grew up.
Fair point but you are finishing your paragraphs just too soon. You need to read more essays.

To conclude, toys are an important repertoire Big word but sadly wrong usage.

for children but their purchase should be kept in check. The parents should not provide extra toys to the children as it would make them materialistic and less interactive with humans. Where is this point in the essay? Do not manufacture new points in conclusion

This would also result in the better allocation of household incomes.Again this is not on topic as topic is asking for child and not parents.
Overall positives are that the writing more or less is "clean". I can read the essay in one go and there are no big issues in terms of English or Grammar.

But the positives end there because the overall essay task response is very weak starting with the introduction paragraph itself. You are not addressing the topic as stated. Do not jump in writing essays. Try and read more. And then try and learn about idea structuring before writing a full essay. All the best!

Reactions: Hannan Khan

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
@ Cansha please evaluate- written under exam conditions, i admit that vocabulary is poor. What score would you give?

Recently, people think internet has made it easy to study university courses online from home. few think that class room courses are better.
discuss both views and give your opinion.
It is debated that learning over the internet has become more convenient than enrolling in courses at college campus.
This essay will discuss both views and agree that studying graduate subjects online are more convenient because there are no time constraints.
A reasoned conclusion will follow.
I find such introductions weak but I guess we have discussed that in past and you prefer these. So fine but if you are asking my opinion then in my opinion this introduction is not getting you any points.

At the outset, if a student enrolls in an online study , he is not confined to read during the work timings of that institute.
This is to say that, Why use such phrases?

whenever an individual indulges (indulges seriously??) in learning a topic online, one has the convenience of reading its matter either at day time or after midnight.

Therefore, one is capable of completing his course on time comfortably.For example, my friend has enrolled in an online digital marketing course due to the fact that he is unable to attend the college, as he is working for an organization.Therefore, he is able to read the subject materials comfortably because he can do it as per his desire.
Oh man ... you spent one whole paragraph to make one such a small point? So yes online courses can be done at one's own pace. You have no other positive points for online courses? None really?

to be honest, content is weak here.

Nevertheless, a few people consider that it is better if a pupil studies at a university classroom because it enables one to interact with the tutors directly to clear one's doubts and understand the matter in more effective way. Nonetheless, the facility to communicate with teachers is available if one utilises softwares such as skype, which are prevalent over the high speed internet connections. To illustrate, many students nowadays are capable of communicating with instructors to get a better command on the topic through internet , owing to the advancement in computer technologies.
This passage is again wait. And I think we have discussed before that in such essays if you want to agree with a view point talk about it later. Else the essay flow gets really confusing.

In conclusion, it is clearly stated that Who is stating this?
learning a subject over the internet is hugely comfortable considering the fact that there are no time restrictions for the students.Some people think that classroom teaching is better due to the interactive session Sentence looks like more of an introduction paragraph than conclusion.

it provides, however, this provision can be availed through several applications available online.
Seems like you are writing an introduction and not a conclusion.

I'm sorry but this essay is a bit weak.