+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IELTS - Writing - For Band 7 or Above.

Akhil Soni

Star Member
Feb 9, 2018
Hi Cansha,
Yes I have to give the test. I have already appeared for speaking yesterday with British council in chandigarh. I had a bad experience with bc. My speaking time was 11.30. But it was taken at 1.00pm. The examiner fell ill and no other examiner wanted extra candidates for the day. There was no backup plan or policy in place to tackle such situation. So I was made to walk from one floor to another and from one examiner to another until finally it was taken at 1.00

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
Hi Cansha,
Yes I have to give the test. I have already appeared for speaking yesterday with British council in chandigarh. I had a bad experience with bc. My speaking time was 11.30. But it was taken at 1.00pm. The examiner fell ill and no other examiner wanted extra candidates for the day. There was no backup plan or policy in place to tackle such situation. So I was made to walk from one floor to another and from one examiner to another until finally it was taken at 1.00
That’s horrible. You should definitely send an email to them to complain although I doubt they will mend their ways. But they definitely need to be more professional.

H0peAndFa1th

Jun 19, 2017
As some of you may have already know it, Today we have received results of 13 October test, well they came positive for me, finally!

Overall Band: 8.0
Listening: 8.5
Reading: 8.5
Writing: 7.0
Speaking: 7.0

I was waiting for it, kinda frustrated, that was the reason why I was reluctant to review your essays. I hope my journey will help you.

this was my 8th test this year, starting from 6th Jan 2018.

few details,
Listening: It ranged from 7 to 8.5 - never got 9
Reading: It ranged from 7.5 to 9 - mostly 9
Writing: 6.5 in 6 tests, 7 in two, including this one
Speaking: ranged from 6.5 to 8 - even got 6.5 to 7.5 via reevaluation

What inhibited me from achieving the required scores ?

Listening: I think, because this is the first section, nervousness, an agitated state, frustration, I even missed first ones which are the easiest ones. And sometimes because of a map, directions, MCQ, It boils down to your luck. A split second distraction can cost you a half band. For this there's is only one tip, increase the speed of your practice listening tests, and keep listening BBC Radio stations all the time, even in toilet, keep it running beside your pillow while you are sleeping

Reading: I read alot, It helps me calm, I enjoy it, busting IELTS tricks gives me thrill, but sometimes answers are totally vague, you can not be 100% sure.

Speaking: I am not a people person, I avoid strangers, unnecessary talks, conversations, have traits of an Introvert, So even hesitated in first introductory questions, most of the times my two minutes speaking topic was short in length, because it's hard for me to cook-up fake stories, but I always engaged well in Part 3, follow up questions, there are reasons, two part questions, they will keep asking why, and I love answering whys of my views. I speak my mind, and fortify it with examples, reasons etc. Most of the times examiners enjoyed talking to me because I don't cave-in, I always note or keep an eye on their eyebrows, their stressed forehead, inquisitive questions, a state of wondering, more question coming out of my own statements, lengthy conversation of consisting of 12 to 20 questions --- this all tells me, its going fine. If your part is ending quickly, say less than 10 questions or they are not asking questions from your own answers, means you are in a danger zone, some examiners like to cut short, they don't give the time to explain and you end up getting 6.5

Writing: There are many contributing factors for writing section, they vary individually, In-fact this whole thread is about it.
> I was out of practice, wrote nothing substantial by hand in last 10 years.
> My grammar was always weak, still struggling, blame the teachers I have got till 10th standard.
> I think alot before writing a line or sentence, a quest to make it perfect, never got the time to review my essay, even once.
> tendency to digress, said something, then started explaining it, which went south, failed badly in task achievement, wrote irrelevant stuff entirely.
> spelling mistakes, blame my computer for that.

To improve it.
> made myself known to their assessing criteria, mainly Task achievement.
> learned to write longer sentences, complex and compound, a content rich sentences with more meat.
> most Important - write essay under 30 minutes, letter 15 minutes, count words, review it, check articles -spell errors. etc.

well If you are new here, start reading this thread from first post, most of us are making same mistakes and getting same 6.5 bands.

some other thoughts ::

Now some of you heard that - IELTS is a scam, yes surely it is, I have no doubt in this statement.

but this should not deter you from improving yourself, you have to admit/own your mistakes, then improve them all.

is this entirely an English language test ?
nope it is not, they test your IQ and EQ too, your psychology plays great role in this test.
prepare well, trust yourself, be calm, think that you can always come and take this test again, have the budget and mental toughness to go through it, It is a high wall if others can climb it you can do it too.

Consider yourself lucky, if you got 8777 in first attempt, or even in first 3 attempts.

Best of luck to everyone involved in this thread or even reading as a guest,

I thank you all from the bottom of my heart.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2015
Hi, I am happy to read your success story, So First of all, Congrats...I have gone through to many of your comments & your given reviews on other's writing which is sometimes amusing too where you got little too nasty..

I hope you will stick around here in future as well & keep helping others by giving your valuable feedback..I am one of the Newbies here.

Congrats once again...

Cheers

As some of you may have already know it, Today we have received results of 13 October test, well they came positive for me, finally!

I was waiting for it, kinda frustrated, that was the reason why I was reluctant to review your essays. I hope my journey will help you.

few details,

Listening: I think, because this is the first section, nervousness, an agitated state, frustration, I even missed first ones which are the easiest ones. And sometimes because of a map, directions, MCQ, It boils down to your luck. A split second distraction can cost you a half band. For this there's is only one tip, increase the speed of your practice listening tests, and keep listening BBC Radio stations all the time, even in toilet, keep it running beside your pillow while you are sleeping

Reading: I read alot, It helps me calm, I enjoy it, busting IELTS tricks gives me thrill, but sometimes answers are totally vague, you can not be 100% sure.

Speaking: I am not a people person, I avoid strangers, unnecessary talks, conversations, have traits of an Introvert, So even hesitated in first introductory questions, most of the times my two minutes speaking topic was short in length, because it's hard for me to cook-up fake stories, but I always engaged well in Part 3, follow up questions, there are reasons, two part questions, they will keep asking why, and I love answering whys of my views. I speak my mind, and fortify it with examples, reasons etc. Most of the times examiners enjoyed talking to me because I don't cave-in, I always note or keep an eye on their eyebrows, their stressed forehead, inquisitive questions, a state of wondering, more question coming out of my own statements, lengthy conversation of consisting of 12 to 20 questions --- this all tells me, its going fine. If your part is ending quickly, say less than 10 questions or they are not asking questions from your own answers, means you are in a danger zone, some examiners like to cut short, they don't give the time to explain and you end up getting 6.5

Writing: There are many contributing factors for writing section, they vary individually, In-fact this whole thread is about it.
> My grammar was always weak, still struggling, blame the teachers I have got till 10th standard.
> I think alot before writing a line or sentence, a quest to make it perfect, never got the time to review my essay, even once.
> tendency to digress, said something, then started explaining it, which went south, failed badly in task achievement, wrote irrelevant stuff entirely.

To improve it.
> learned to write longer sentences, complex and compound, a content rich sentences with more meat.
> most Important - write essay under 30 minutes, letter 15 minutes, count words, review it, check articles -spell errors. etc.

well If you are new here, start reading this thread from first post, most of us are making same mistakes and getting same 6.5 bands.

Now some of you heard that - IELTS is a scam, yes surely it is, I have no doubt in this statement.

but this should not deter you from improving yourself, you have to admit/own your mistakes, then improve them all.

nope it is not, they test your IQ and EQ too, your psychology plays great role in this test.
prepare well, trust yourself, be calm, think that you can always come and take this test again, have the budget and mental toughness to go through it, It is a high wall if others can climb it you can do it too.

Consider yourself lucky, if you got 8777 in first attempt, or even in first 3 attempts.

Reactions: H0peAndFa1th

H0peAndFa1th

Jun 19, 2017
Hi, I am happy to read your success story, So First of all, Congrats...I have gone through to many of your comments & your given reviews on other's writing which is sometimes amusing too where you got little too nasty..

I hope you will stick around here in future as well & keep helping others by giving your valuable feedback..I am one of the Newbies here.

Congrats once again...

Cheers
thanks, Yes I admit, I bash myself alot when I make same mistakes again and again, I did the same with other people which went south with some guys, it was a mistake, Now I try to be more encouraging and polite. I am truly sorry for hurt sentiments.

sometimes sarcasm helps to understand the concerned topic better, it sticks with you.

Ranbir_Dhillon

Star Member
Sep 26, 2018
Chandigarh
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......

few details,

To improve it.

Yayy.. Congratulations.

I got magic numbers as well Finallyyy 8777 :)

Thanks @cansha and Hope :):)

Aug 4, 2015
Hello,

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback & welcoming me to the thread. I have read your corrections 5-6 times since morning. I am definitely going to work upon those areas where i am lagging behind. I wish to add here that while writing i was kept having various idea which made me go off the topic, However, I feel that i should make a planning before starting the typing.

You are doing an awesome work by helping others selflessly.

Kind Regards

Welcome to the thread! Posting an essay for public review definitely requires a lot of courage. I don't have it. So I appreciate your courage.

Disclaimer - I'm not an expert. I've never been an IELTS examiner. I have no clue how they mark the essays. All suggestions I offer are my own and I have my own logic to offer them. You can disregard and disagree with them.

Finally, if I point out a mistake (which I think is a mistake) is no way intended to make you feel bad or is an attempt to show I know better. So take the reviews with as less emotions as possible.

For the last line my comment is based on ieltsliz. Many people follow her for writing and I personally followed her blog. See this link where the last line of your essay appears in top 10 lines to avoid on IELTS essay. http://ieltsliz.com/ielts-writing-tips-sentences-to-avoid/

There are quite a few grammar issues. But besides that why do you have paragraph 2 almost double the length of body para 1. Also, I think you have not done the task response very well. This whole para is focused on solution part of the question but the first para did not address cause and effect that well.

Good conclusion should revisit the main points of the essay. I think there were a lot of ideas in the solution paragraph of the essay but the essay was a little thin on the first ask of the task. As such I think for this essay the task response is not as good as it could have been.

Aug 4, 2015
Hi, Totally agree with you, You do not need to be sorry please, Because anyone can sense your good intentions behind those words. I guess, you have taken me otherwise, Moreover, They were never absurd/obnoxious, What i meant was that your comments were quite witty & enjoyable for a reader. Honestly, It made me your Fan :D

Thanks

thanks, Yes I admit, I bash myself alot when I make same mistakes again and again, I did the same with other people which went south with some guys, it was a mistake, Now I try to be more encouraging and polite. I am truly sorry for hurt sentiments.

sometimes sarcasm helps to understand the concerned topic better, it sticks with you.