+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IELTS - Writing - For Band 7 or Above.

Bacelor

Oct 20, 2017
Thanks for your response.

Were you really sure about your writing? I am asking this cuz a lot of IELTS teachers have said you should go for revaluation only if you had scored consistently higher (7 or 7.5) by an experienced IELTS teacher/examiner during your preparation.

In my case, this was the first attempt and I didn't take help from any teacher, but I practiced my writing and cross-checked with the assessment criteria every time.
Honestly, the first question i asked at the center: would it be possible to go down to 6? They said not likely if it was not to improve it will keep the same.
I was totally unsure. However i believe it was a matter of luck a little bit.

Go for it.

Reactions: Rav217

Rav217

Jan 29, 2021
Honestly, the first question i asked at the center: would it be possible to go down to 6? They said not likely if it was not to improve it will keep the same.
I was totally unsure. However i believe it was a matter of luck a little bit.

Go for it.
Alright. Thank you!

marosa

Oct 9, 2018
Armenia
NOC Code......
Guys,

I gave my CD IELTS on the 23rd Jan, 2021.
My results came as LRWS - 8 8.5 6.5 8

However, I did quite well in the test and covered all writing criteria.

But I am hesitant to apply for revaluation (EOR) since I see a very low success rate. Can someone who has got a positive outcome after revaluation share your experience on your writing and how sure were you about the EOR?

Thanks
Hi! I took IELTS 4 or 5 times. Every time writing was 6.5, S 7.5-8, L 8.5-9, R 8.5-9. I applied for revaluation twice I think and every time I was really sure about my writing because I know English well, so why would I get a 6.5, right? Well not really. To get 7 and above in writing you need to fit into their format. It’s not only about grammar and vocabulary. As soon as I understood what exactly they required from the students I got 8.
So my advice would be if you’re not in a hurry practice and retake. But again, in some cases revaluation helps.

You can put your exam essay in this thread, I’ll review and let you know what your main mistakes were. If that helps.

Reactions: Rav217

Waad

Jan 31, 2021
Nope there is not, and you can check on this forum people have already given ielts 6 times, 8 times, 6th Jan was my second attempt in general, and already given academic two times, I personally know people who gave 4-5 times, So don't think that way, its like brute-forcing.

The main reasons for not succeeding in first two attempts is, you actually don't get the idea about test in first attempts, if your English is weak or you are nervous, then it makes things worse for you. I have seen people so relaxed, when they are taking it like 5th, 6th or even 8th, 9th times.

from your scores, its clear that your Reading is weak too, Its all about synonyms and comprehension of text.

Hey I have uploaded a new book, Essay Writing for English Tests by Gabi Duigu, check above, when I was thinking about your 5.5 bands, it just came to my mind that this could help you, first I was going to write a long lecture, but this book is THE BEST for you, I only recommended things, that I have read.

Read both books ( 1 & 2) then try to write a essay on above cleared sample answer sheet pdf, post your essay pictures.
Hey,
Could you please advise where to find the uploaded book?!.

Rav217

Jan 29, 2021
Hi! I took IELTS 4 or 5 times. Every time writing was 6.5, S 7.5-8, L 8.5-9, R 8.5-9. I applied for revaluation twice I think and every time I was really sure about my writing because I know English well, so why would I get a 6.5, right? Well not really. To get 7 and above in writing you need to fit into their format. It’s not only about grammar and vocabulary. As soon as I understood what exactly they required from the students I got 8.
So my advice would be if you’re not in a hurry practice and retake. But again, in some cases revaluation helps.

You can put your exam essay in this thread, I’ll review and let you know what your main mistakes were. If that helps.
Thanks for your reply!

I can rewrite the essay that I wrote for the test, but it may not be exactly the same. It would be great if you could remark on the essay and maybe after that, I will decide if I should apply for the EOR. I will write and post it here in a few hours :)

Rav217

Jan 29, 2021

Below is the essay I got for the test but I could not recreate the exact essay I wrote. However, I wrote a pretty similar one with the information I remember from the test.

Q: Some people believe that government is responsible for disadvantaged people like jobless and homeless. do you agree or disagree?
A:
Some would argue that government authorities are entirely reasonable for unemployed and homeless people. I completely agree with this statement because the cabinet’s policies and plans are sometimes not thoughtful which affects people’s lives. Also, if the tax money had been used in a beneficial way, there would not be unemployment and people without a home.

To begin with, plans and policies passed by ministries are often not quite thoughtful as it has a significant effect on public. These laws affect the livelihood of common working-class individuals, especially the ones working labour jobs, through increased goods prices and unexpected changes that could alter daily routines. Although it affects educated skilled workers, they are not tremendously affected compared to the people doing blue-collar jobs. For example, the Indian government banned the usage of 500 and 1000 rupee notes a few years ago which resulted in a lot of people losing their jobs and some of them could not afford to pay home rents, and eventually had to vacate their rented places.

Furthermore, a government has sufficient funds to help the needy through the acquired tax money from their citizens. Therefore, they should consider the welfare of their society and individuals by helping such poor people. However, this is sometimes not the case in some countries as the tax money is not used for society’s benefits but to build tourist attractions. For instance, in Australia, they have a scheme called ‘Center Link’ through which these disadvantaged people are given money for their survival. Such a scheme can be extremely helpful for these people but why would some governments do not take such responsibilities?

In conclusion, I think authorities should take responsibility for helping people without jobs and homes as they were pushed to such states due to the implementation of bad regulations and decisions. Moreover, governments have sufficient funds required to improve the life of the needy.

* Please feel free to tell me your thought about the essay and should I go for revaluation with such an essay.

Neha0609

Jan 9, 2021

Thanks so much !! Would really need your help as I am preparing to give my Ielts test by end of this month..

Neha0609

Jan 9, 2021
Hello guys,

I’m back after a long break. Since my last post on this forum, I’ve obtained Canadian PR and I’m more than half way towards completing the citizenship residency requirements. I’m now settled in the beautiful city of Vancouver (but hate the rain!).
This thread was one of my favourites and I frequently hung around to try and help. Since I’m now having a little more time at my disposal, I will try to add my comments on your essays. This is my Original Post from all the way back in 2018. Seems a long time ago now in a different world when we didn’t know how much damage a bat based virus could cause. In any case, happy to help and offer advice to anyone looking to improve their essay writing skills.
Please do not send any direct messages to my inbox asking for essay reviews. I would rather reply to you on the thread directly. Have a great year folks! 2020 won alright, but this is 2021!!
Q: In the future,nobody will buy printed newspapers or books bcoz they will be able to read everything online without paying. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion.

With the advancement of technology,modes of receiving news and books are getting changed day by day.It is to be believed that in the upcoming times,people will not prefer to buy daily newspapers or books as they will get to access everything online without spending money. I completely agree with this view and would like to elaborate my supporting points in the subsequent paragraphs.

There can be multiple reasons why individuals will not purchase printed newspapers or books, and will prefer to read everything online without paying any charges. First of all,reading online will be the most cheapest and more convenient way. It is most likely because people will get to use it easily as these days technology is in hands of everyone,now everyone can access almost everything using their smartphones. Moreover,individuals will be able to use it anywhere and at anytime per their convenience. Reading news over the internet will become easy as people will access latest information just by doing the google search,subscribing to news channel applications like BBC News or just by being stay connected in the social groups over different websites. For instance,E-books will be more preferable as anyone can download it for free from corresponding websites without investing any costs.

Another important reason is,reading everything online will actually going to save individual's time.People will get updated with the latest news whether its global or any national news within no time,instead of waiting for news to be published and receiving newspaper on the next day. For example,individuals will get to know about anything happened in any country such as disasters like earthquake within just fraction of seconds rather than waiting for the printed newspapers. Thus,stay updated will become more easy in this fast-paced world.

In conclusion,it is to be expected that in future people will not purchase printed newspapers or books as they will avail all these over the internet for free,which in my opinion is completely true and would definitely raise the standards of our living.

Pleasw assist and share some tips to score 7+ in wrting.Will be waiting for your reply..Thanks so much in advance!!

Neha0609

Jan 9, 2021
Hey,
Could you please advise where to find the uploaded book?!.
Go to www.engvid.com and www.goodluckielts.com, I tried their tips on writing and got 7 and 7.5 in writing sections of my IELTS. Also go through Barrons 1100 word list.

I believe writing needs a proper format (structure, transitions, examples etc) and usage of some good vocabulary, if you have these two, 7 shouldn't be an impossible task.
start practicing soon, and post practice essays here - let people with higher scores evaluate.
Hi, Could anyone of you please evaluate my essay task2 ?
Q: In the future,nobody will buy printed newspapers or books bcoz they will be able to read everything online without paying. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion.

With the advancement of technology,modes of receiving news and books are getting changed day by day.It is to be believed that in the upcoming times,people will not prefer to buy daily newspapers or books as they will get to access everything online without spending money. I completely agree with this view and would like to elaborate my supporting points in the subsequent paragraphs.

There can be multiple reasons why individuals will not purchase printed newspapers or books, and will prefer to read everything online without paying any charges. First of all,reading online will be the most cheapest and more convenient way. It is most likely because people will get to use it easily as these days technology is in hands of everyone,now everyone can access almost everything using their smartphones. Moreover,individuals will be able to use it anywhere and at anytime per their convenience. Reading news over the internet will become easy as people will access latest information just by doing the google search,subscribing to news channel applications like BBC News or just by being stay connected in the social groups over different websites. For instance,E-books will be more preferable as anyone can download it for free from corresponding websites without investing any costs.

Another important reason is,reading everything online will actually going to save individual's time.People will get updated with the latest news whether its global or any national news within no time,instead of waiting for news to be published and receiving newspaper on the next day. For example,individuals will get to know about anything happened in any country such as disasters like earthquake within just fraction of seconds rather than waiting for the printed newspapers. Thus,stay updated will become more easy in this fast-paced world.

In conclusion,it is to be expected that in future people will not purchase printed newspapers or books as they will avail all these over the internet for free,which in my opinion is completely true and would definitely raise the standards of our living.

Please assist and share some tips to score 7+ in wrting.Will be waiting for your reply..Thanks so much in advance!!

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018

With the advancement of technology,modes of receiving news and books are getting changed day by day. This line is adding no value to the essay. Lines like these feel rehearsed and give you no points on the task. Also, when you "day by day'. What is changing day by day - eReaders have been here for a decade now. Same for online news .. Point 1.2 IELTS - Writing - For Band 7 or Above. | Canada Immigration Forum (canadavisa.com)

It is to be believed that in the upcoming times,people will not prefer to buy daily newspapers or books as they will get to access everything online without spending money. I completely agree with this view and would like to elaborate my supporting points in the subsequent paragraphs. Point 1.4 IELTS - Writing - For Band 7 or Above. | Canada Immigration Forum (canadavisa.com)

There can be multiple reasons why individuals will not purchase printed newspapers or books, and will prefer to read everything online without paying any charges. Ask yourself what value is this line adding to the essay. this is opening line to BP1 and gives no additional information.
First of all,reading online will be the most cheapest you don't need most with cheapest and more convenient way vs what?.

It is most likely because people will get to use it easily as these days technology is in hands of everyone,now everyone can access almost everything using their smartphones. Verbose
Moreover,individuals will be able to use it anywhere and at anytime per their convenience. Verbose
Reading news over the internet will become easy as people will access latest information just by doing the google search,subscribing to news channel applications like BBC News or just by being stay connected in the social groups over different websites. For instance,E-books will be more preferable as anyone can download it for free from corresponding websites without investing any costs. Your whole argument in the BP is around news and your example is about eBooks. Also, are you sure all news on Internet is free. Is WSJ free? Is New York Times free?

Another important reason is,reading everything online will actually going to save individual's time. People will get updated with the latest news whether its global or any national news within no time,instead of waiting for news to be published and receiving newspaper on the next day. For example,individuals will get to know about anything happened in any country such as disasters like earthquake within just fraction of seconds rather than waiting for the printed newspapers. Thus,stay updated will become more easy in this fast-paced world. I understand the argument and it is a good one but it is presented wrong. Reading the first line of BP it seems like you are saying reading online news saves time i.e. reading online news will take less time compared to reading the same news item printed on newspaper. The argument is really 'Speed of News dissemination' vs reading time.

In conclusion,it is to be expected that in future people will not purchase printed newspapers or books as they will avail all these over the internet for free,which in my opinion is completely true and would definitely raise the standards of our living. Bad conclusion. It doesn't reiterate any of the main points of your essay. Also no where in your essay you talk about "standards of living" so why in the conclusion? And How? Point 3.2 IELTS - Writing - For Band 7 or Above. | Canada Immigration Forum (canadavisa.com)

Overall, I would reiterate which I have said many times over in various pages of this forum. The main thing in Task 2 is content. Your essay should flow logically. All the best!

Pleasw assist and share some tips to score 7+ in wrting.Will be waiting for your reply..Thanks so much in advance!!

Reactions: Neha0609

Neha0609

Jan 9, 2021
With the advancement of technology,modes of receiving news and books are getting changed day by day. This line is adding no value to the essay. Lines like these feel rehearsed and give you no points on the task. Also, when you "day by day'. What is changing day by day - eReaders have been here for a decade now. Same for online news .. Point 1.2 IELTS - Writing - For Band 7 or Above. | Canada Immigration Forum (canadavisa.com)

It is to be believed that in the upcoming times,people will not prefer to buy daily newspapers or books as they will get to access everything online without spending money. I completely agree with this view and would like to elaborate my supporting points in the subsequent paragraphs. Point 1.4 IELTS - Writing - For Band 7 or Above. | Canada Immigration Forum (canadavisa.com)

There can be multiple reasons why individuals will not purchase printed newspapers or books, and will prefer to read everything online without paying any charges. Ask yourself what value is this line adding to the essay. this is opening line to BP1 and gives no additional information.
First of all,reading online will be the most cheapest you don't need most with cheapest and more convenient way vs what?.

It is most likely because people will get to use it easily as these days technology is in hands of everyone,now everyone can access almost everything using their smartphones. Verbose
Moreover,individuals will be able to use it anywhere and at anytime per their convenience. Verbose
Reading news over the internet will become easy as people will access latest information just by doing the google search,subscribing to news channel applications like BBC News or just by being stay connected in the social groups over different websites. For instance,E-books will be more preferable as anyone can download it for free from corresponding websites without investing any costs. Your whole argument in the BP is around news and your example is about eBooks. Also, are you sure all news on Internet is free. Is WSJ free? Is New York Times free?

Another important reason is,reading everything online will actually going to save individual's time. People will get updated with the latest news whether its global or any national news within no time,instead of waiting for news to be published and receiving newspaper on the next day. For example,individuals will get to know about anything happened in any country such as disasters like earthquake within just fraction of seconds rather than waiting for the printed newspapers. Thus,stay updated will become more easy in this fast-paced world. I understand the argument and it is a good one but it is presented wrong. Reading the first line of BP it seems like you are saying reading online news saves time i.e. reading online news will take less time compared to reading the same news item printed on newspaper. The argument is really 'Speed of News dissemination' vs reading time.

In conclusion,it is to be expected that in future people will not purchase printed newspapers or books as they will avail all these over the internet for free,which in my opinion is completely true and would definitely raise the standards of our living. Bad conclusion. It doesn't reiterate any of the main points of your essay. Also no where in your essay you talk about "standards of living" so why in the conclusion? And How? Point 3.2 IELTS - Writing - For Band 7 or Above. | Canada Immigration Forum (canadavisa.com)

Overall, I would reiterate which I have said many times over in various pages of this forum. The main thing in Task 2 is content. Your essay should flow logically. All the best!

Thankyou so much Cansha, will surely work on these points to get better scores.

marosa

Oct 9, 2018
Armenia
NOC Code......
Below is the essay I got for the test but I could not recreate the exact essay I wrote. However, I wrote a pretty similar one with the information I remember from the test.

Q: Some people believe that government is responsible for disadvantaged people like jobless and homeless. do you agree or disagree?
A:
Some would argue that government authorities are entirely reasonable responsible - or you can say "it's government's responsibility to fight unemployment and homelessness among population" for unemployed and homeless people. I completely agree with this statement* because the cabinet’s policies and plans are sometimes not thoughtful which affects people’s lives. Also, if the tax money had been used in a beneficial way, there would not be unemployment and people without a home. The good thing about this intro is that you tried to give an insight of what will be discussed in the body paragraphs. It's also good that you avoided phrases like "this essay will discuss", "this essay agrees" etc.

The first sentence is ok. The next sentence should very shortly show what your main ideas are that you'll be covering in the BP's. E.g. "In my opinion I agree that it's government's responsibility to fight unemployment and homelessness among population, both because they have all the necessary tools both from the economic and social perspective" Then in BP1 you can talk about the economy and in BP2 you could discuss how they can have social programs, eg to educate people to help one another, organize charities, push businesses to be more socially active etc. Whatever comes to your mind.

To begin with, plans and policies passed by ministries are often not quite thoughtful as it has a significant effect on public. These laws affect the livelihood of common working-class individuals, especially the ones working labour jobs, through increased goods prices and unexpected changes that could alter daily routines. Although it affects educated skilled workers, they are not tremendously affected compared to the people doing blue-collar jobs. For example, the Indian government banned the usage of 500 and 1000 rupee notes a few years ago which resulted in a lot of people losing their jobs and some of them could not afford to pay home rents, and eventually had to vacate their rented places. I don't understand what banning notes has to do with unemployment. Maybe you need to paraphrase. Overall you didn't keep the hierarchy in this body para.

The 1st sentence should include the main idea. Let's say "To begin with, governments have all the tools to pass laws and regulations that would be favorable for the vulnerable groups of the society". - Main idea one: the government has the power to impact the situation
2nd sentence should elaborate like what you mean by tools, or by favorable, or why would you think so... "People entitle governments not only the authority to pass laws, but also provide them the necessary means in the form of taxes, to actually apply those policies."
3rd sentence could be an example of a specific program that helped a specific group to live better " that would enable the poor to obtain a certain level of an economic stability

Furthermore, a government has sufficient funds to help the needy through the acquired tax money from their citizens. Therefore, they should consider the welfare of their society and individuals by helping such poor people. However, this is sometimes not the case in some countries as the tax money is not used for society’s benefits but to build tourist attractions. For instance, in Australia, they have a scheme called ‘Center Link’ through which these disadvantaged people are given money for their survival. Such a scheme can be extremely helpful for these people but why would some governments do not take such responsibilities? The phrase "(acquired) tax money" makes me believe you don't have finance background and if so why would you try to write a para about taxes? The examiner doesn't look for an expert opinion, you're not consulting a government to solve a problem here. Secondly, I think your first and second paras have the same main idea - that governments can adopt policies to help the poor. That's why your bd2 wouldn't basically count. You need to look at different perspectives in each BP. BP1 - governments can pass favorable laws, for example setting thresholds for businesses e.g. not to fire more than 10% of the staff each year... BP2 - governments can have social programs to educate people get engaged in volunteering for the homeless etc. BP3 - governments can directly finance the poor, they have the budget to subsidize family businesses... for those who are unemployed So before starting to write you need to PLAN 1: what\s your opinion, 2: what your main ideas are, 3: how are you going to support/explain each of the ideas.

In conclusion, I think authorities should take responsibility for helping people without jobs and homes sometimes no paraphrasing is better than poor paraphraasing :) as they were pushed to such states due to the implementation of bad regulations and decisions. Moreover, governments have sufficient funds required to improve the life of the needy.

*there is a better chance to score 7+ if you mainly agree - say in most cases you agree but in some specific cases you don't - like you can say that while governments are responsible to have social packages for the homeless people, businesses should take responsibility for the employment rates and maybe sometimes have more staff they need. You see because I have an economic background I could build a whole BP proving that even if it's more costy to have extra staff, that staff would ensure more goods and services are purchased and as a result, the economy would be healthier and the business would benefit from that as well. Based on your background you can have a completely different essay, but the point is that you don't go too extreme, claiming it's only governments responsibility or it's not their responsibility at all... Hope I could explain.
Hi, I don't really think this essay is band 7, but the main issue is that you don't quite understand how to plan and structure the essay, how to answer to their question. This can be easily fixed if you practice.

Every sentence in the essay need to answer to the question. For example "However, this is sometimes not the case in some countries as the tax money is not used for society’s benefits but to build tourist attractions" - this sentence does not help you to answer to the question: "Some people believe that government is responsible for disadvantaged people like jobless and homeless. do you agree or disagree?" You see what I mean.

If you really need 7+ take your time and read other reviews in this thread. It helped at least 5 people to overcome 6.5.
Good luck.

Reactions: Rav217 and cansha

Neha0609

Jan 9, 2021
Hi ,Please evaluate my essay as I am practicing for Ielts general and your assistance would really help me to achieve my desired scores.

Question 2: Writing Task -- It is difficult for people in the cities to get enough physical exercise.What are the causes and solutions?
----------------------------
Nowadays, exercise becomes crucial for humans to stay healthy and fit. It is to be believed that it is quite tough for city residents to do physical exercise. There can be multiple causes and possible measures that can be taken to tackle this problem that i would like to discuss in the subsequent paragraphs.

To begin with, there are various reasons why it is difficult for people to get adequate physical workout. First of all,city people are having hectic work schedules due to which it is difficult for them to manage time to do exercise on daily basis. It is most likely people are doing long working hours shift at their workplaces probably 10-11 hours and sometimes overtime to get promotions on time. Another reason is,city residents are more dependent on their private vehicles to commute to their workstations and home. Almost everyone us owning a car as a social society symbol in the cities and prefers to travel by car,rather than taking a short walk,which eventually results into less physical exercise. For instance, a recent study revealed that around 70% of the city population prefers to travel by car to visit even every nearest supermarkets.

There are possible solutions that can be take care of to overcome this problem. Firstly,people should really focus on work-life balance and employers can contribute by minimizing the shift hours for all the employees or providing flexibility at workplaces. Apart from this, Government can spread awareness by helding campaigns on healthy lifestyles as well as can provide subsidy or rewarding amount to residents those are contributing to save nature by taking walks or cycling. For example, In Paris, Government has started an initiative for zero carbon footprints and crediting the amount in resident's account on weekly basis who are taking bicycle to reduce carbon footprints which consequently is the best way for individuals to do exercise and stay healthy.

In conclusion, it is true that city people are not able to get enough physical exercise due to various reasons and can be managed by possible solutions to overcome this concern.
---------------

Kindly give band assessment as well. Thanks so much !!

Rav217

Jan 29, 2021
Hi, I don't really think this essay is band 7, but the main issue is that you don't quite understand how to plan and structure the essay, how to answer to their question. This can be easily fixed if you practice.

Every sentence in the essay need to answer to the question. For example "However, this is sometimes not the case in some countries as the tax money is not used for society’s benefits but to build tourist attractions" - this sentence does not help you to answer to the question: "Some people believe that government is responsible for disadvantaged people like jobless and homeless. do you agree or disagree?" You see what I mean.

If you really need 7+ take your time and read other reviews in this thread. It helped at least 5 people to overcome 6.5.
Good luck.
Thanks for helping me see my mistakes and I will try to correct them to write a better essay :)