+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IELTS - Writing - For Band 7 or Above.

sara_H_JDT

Dec 28, 2019
@marosa
Hello
for getting higher score in Lexical criteria
Should use from very complicated collocations or all the time phrasal verbs ?
Let me I give an example please
I bring some example : left side are collocations , right side are their meaning
which one you would suggest to use ?
It might be possible some of them applicable for task 1 (letter) and some of them for essay
but I asked your opinion in general

Elaborate on the story = Explain in greater detail
Encounter difficulties and pains = to experience difficulties
in the long run = a long period in the future
to be up to my ears in = extremely busy
retain their clients = keep their customers

Regards

sara_H_JDT

Dec 28, 2019
apart from what examiner looks like, how they give score , what is circling in their mind
for a essay with 300 words ,
For lexical how many percentage of words should be indicated as a professional vocab includes phrasal verb+collocations+Idiom + advance vocabs
Thanks

May 3, 2017
apart from what examiner looks like, how they give score , what is circling in their mind
for a essay with 300 words ,
For lexical how many percentage of words should be indicated as a professional vocab includes phrasal verb+collocations+Idiom + advance vocabs
Thanks
You must read band indicators for writing properly and in detail. There are overall requirements against a particular band score; however, not individually. Please read it carefully as there are 4 main components and requirements in each of them.

With regards to your query, there are 2 things- Grammatical Range and Grammatical Accuracy. Range means variety and accuracy means how you react in writing accurately -tenses, collocations etc, and you have not just added to show off.

Please have a look. I think it will clear your doubts as no one can clearly explain it.

Vyn

Star Member
Aug 15, 2019
Hi, please see above.

I believe this review should be more than enough for one to practice on their own. + use ielts liz, both for sample topics and for tips on how to write Task 1 and Task 2. Good luck!

. Checking a lot of videos made by ielts liz and some from jay now. Thank you for wishing me well..indeed a tough road ahead for me.. i really do appreciate the intense and detailed remarks from you and cansha.. thanks a million

Reactions: marosa

sara_H_JDT

Dec 28, 2019
You must read band indicators for writing properly and in detail. There are overall requirements against a particular band score; however, not individually. Please read it carefully as there are 4 main components and requirements in each of them.

With regards to your query, there are 2 things- Grammatical Range and Grammatical Accuracy. Range means variety and accuracy means how you react in writing accurately -tenses, collocations etc, and you have not just added to show off.

Please have a look. I think it will clear your doubts as no one can clearly explain it.
yes thanks I get it BUT
if with reading those criteria possible to get high score, be sure no one come here !!
for understanding in depth should have a sample for each criteria and unfortunately I have not seen yet .
sample means if using vocabulary such as show get for instance 5 indicate can get 6 represent 7 this is just an example I'm not sure .

Last edited:

marosa

Oct 9, 2018
Armenia
NOC Code......
yes thanks I get it BUT
if with reading those criteria possible to get high score, be sure no one come here !!
for understanding in depth should have a sample for each criteria and unfortunately I have not seen yet .
sample means if using vocabulary such as show get for instance 5 indicate can get 6 represent 7 this is just an example I'm not sure .
You’re looking for words and phrases to learn by heart to get 7, 8 or 9. That’s not how IELTS works. Your current vocab and grammar level is more or less ok to get 7, while your task achievement and structuring is not. Vocabulary is not what you should focus on right now. Again, check reviews of the essays here. How many times have you seen us correcting someone’s vocab? And yet people get 7 after some practice.

There are no tricks you can learn to pass this exam. And even if there were; if you’re going to move to an English-speaking country don’t you think you’ll need to be able to freely communicate with its people? Or else how are you going to study, find a job, make friends etc?

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
@marosa
Hello
for getting higher score in Lexical criteria
Should use from very complicated collocations or all the time phrasal verbs ?
Let me I give an example please
I bring some example : left side are collocations , right side are their meaning
which one you would suggest to use ?
It might be possible some of them applicable for task 1 (letter) and some of them for essay
but I asked your opinion in general

Elaborate on the story = Explain in greater detail
Encounter difficulties and pains = to experience difficulties
in the long run = a long period in the future
to be up to my ears in = extremely busy
retain their clients = keep their customers

Regards
You are too focused on vocab and missing the basic point. For a score 7 you don't need exceptional vocab. Unless you are targeting a score of 8.5+ your vocab is more than adequate. If you go through this thread there is one thing which has been repeated many times, that the most impoirtant thing to get a 7+ score is task response. However time and again people worry too much about vocab and assume what they are writing is on topic. Work hard on task response rather than worrying about writing complex vocab.

sara_H_JDT

Dec 28, 2019
You’re looking for words and phrases to learn by heart to get 7, 8 or 9. That’s not how IELTS works. Your current vocab and grammar level is more or less ok to get 7, while your task achievement and structuring is not. Vocabulary is not what you should focus on right now. Again, check reviews of the essays here. How many times have you seen us correcting someone’s vocab? And yet people get 7 after some practice.

There are no tricks you can learn to pass this exam. And even if there were; if you’re going to move to an English-speaking country don’t you think you’ll need to be able to freely communicate with its people? Or else how are you going to study, find a job, make friends etc?
Thanks for this much of complete answer
I see
I should review from very first essay correction
You're right
I agree yes I got your point perfectly

Reactions: marosa

sara_H_JDT

Dec 28, 2019
You are too focused on vocab and missing the basic point. For a score 7 you don't need exceptional vocab. Unless you are targeting a score of 8.5+ your vocab is more than adequate. If you go through this thread there is one thing which has been repeated many times, that the most impoirtant thing to get a 7+ score is task response. However time and again people worry too much about vocab and assume what they are writing is on topic. Work hard on task response rather than worrying about writing complex vocab.
Thanks for your kind response
No , no any target for 8+ in writing not at all
Yes , also marosa has emphasized on TASK RESPONSE and also structuring

navdeepchopra

Star Member
Dec 15, 2019
Guys need advise on EOR..i got 6.5 in writing whereas rest all score is very good. I had given computer based exam. Does anybody has raised revaluation and hows the experience

sara_H_JDT

Dec 28, 2019
Guys need advise on EOR..i got 6.5 in writing whereas rest all score is very good. I had given computer based exam. Does anybody has raised revaluation and hows the experience
Sorry for talking ahead of experts , but as much as I know , there are several videos on youtube, I'm not sure have been discussed here or not , about reasons of stuck in 6.5 in writing skills , have you checked them ?

Reactions: navdeepchopra

marosa

Oct 9, 2018
Armenia
NOC Code......
I know cases, when people indeed got a higher score after EOR (for speaking and writing, of course), so you may gove it a change. I personally applied for EOR twice I think and no changes, so there are no guarantees, even if you have high scores for other sections (my reading and listening was always 8.5-9, speaking 7.5-8). After practicing however I was able to jump from 6.5 to 8, so 7+ is more than feasible for anyone, whose English is more or less ok.

May 3, 2017
I know cases, when people indeed got a higher score after EOR (for speaking and writing, of course), so you may gove it a change. I personally applied for EOR twice I think and no changes, so there are no guarantees, even if you have high scores for other sections (my reading and listening was always 8.5-9, speaking 7.5-8). After practicing however I was able to jump from 6.5 to 8, so 7+ is more than feasible for anyone, whose English is more or less ok.
There is no guarantee in increase in a band score. I got 8.5 in LRS, but 6.5W. EOR was also unsuccessful. I am not saying that it will not increase, but as you have given the exam, you better know your performance. If you have prepared well and have attempted the essay and the letter well, you should go ahead.

Reactions: navdeepchopra

Rehanyousaf

Feb 4, 2019
Pakistan
Congratulation to you !
It is a great pleasure ;) I highlighted a last line of your comment

Could you kindly explain and discuss what had you been doing before took an IELTS exam to achieve this appreciable score within Just 2 weeks ?
Please discuss on both Listening and writing as well
Please type all your strategy and tactics to get such a this mark in short terms ?

If also possibly , Please write it separately for each skills
and please If you remember your essay , Put it here as well

Thanks and Regards
Best wishes
Good Luck

I will try to summaries what helped me.

1- Read all the comments by Cansha and Marosa. Believe me, the points they mentioned really helped me. My paid mentor has identified the same issue.
2-Intro: Ignore background statement, start with paraphrasing and mention your points you are going to discuss in BP. Ignore all the unnecessary statements E.G this essay will discuss this and that.
3- I have observed more people, including me, focus more on complex vocab and grammar structures; however, very little focus on TA and CC. I believe most of the people who get 6.5 in writing normally struggle with TA and CC. Thus, idea development is they key.
4-While explaining points or developing ideas, most people, including me, repeat the information which does not add any value. As Cansha and Marosa suggest, every sentence you write must have a purpose and must add new details in your essay.
5- Get grip on every types of essays and then master those structures.

You might find all these suggestions general, but believe me this is all what I did different this time. I only use 50% of sentence structures during my exam and focused more on developing ideas and their explanations. I didn't use inversions, cleft sentences, participle clauses and to have structures.

Listening:
Identify your weak areas and practice those areas as much as you can. As I struggle a lot with MCQs, I practiced this area a lot. I was quite good with section 1 and 4 so I make sure that I don't lose any marks in these two sections.

Reading:
I didn't follow any specific technique; however, what helped me a lot is learning about controlling words which entirely change the meaning of sentences. Another point which I would like to mention here that from Q1 to Q27 are easiest to make sure not to lose any marks in this area. Also try to complete these question in 25 to 30 mins. With this, you will have 30 mins for last section, which is the most challenging section. 30 mins would be enough to handle any complex paragrapgh.

Speaking:
I was good in speaking so didn't practice much. In the last week, I picked some random people from IELTS groups on Facebook and practiced with them. Please try to practice with multiple people, this will allow you not to get comfortable with anyone.

Reactions: sara_H_JDT

sara_H_JDT

Dec 28, 2019
I will try to summaries what helped me.

1- Read all the comments by Cansha and Marosa. Believe me, the points they mentioned really helped me. My paid mentor has identified the same issue.
2-Intro: Ignore background statement, start with paraphrasing and mention your points you are going to discuss in BP. Ignore all the unnecessary statements E.G this essay will discuss this and that.
3- I have observed more people, including me, focus more on complex vocab and grammar structures; however, very little focus on TA and CC. I believe most of the people who get 6.5 in writing normally struggle with TA and CC. Thus, idea development is they key.
4-While explaining points or developing ideas, most people, including me, repeat the information which does not add any value. As Cansha and Marosa suggest, every sentence you write must have a purpose and must add new details in your essay.
5- Get grip on every types of essays and then master those structures.

You might find all these suggestions general, but believe me this is all what I did different this time. I only use 50% of sentence structures during my exam and focused more on developing ideas and their explanations. I didn't use inversions, cleft sentences, participle clauses and to have structures.

Listening:
Identify your weak areas and practice those areas as much as you can. As I struggle a lot with MCQs, I practiced this area a lot. I was quite good with section 1 and 4 so I make sure that I don't lose any marks in these two sections.

Reading:
I didn't follow any specific technique; however, what helped me a lot is learning about controlling words which entirely change the meaning of sentences. Another point which I would like to mention here that from Q1 to Q27 are easiest to make sure not to lose any marks in this area. Also try to complete these question in 25 to 30 mins. With this, you will have 30 mins for last section, which is the most challenging section. 30 mins would be enough to handle any complex paragrapgh.

Speaking:
I was good in speaking so didn't practice much. In the last week, I picked some random people from IELTS groups on Facebook and practiced with them. Please try to practice with multiple people, this will allow you not to get comfortable with anyone.
WOW
Also should be thankful from those 2 persons you've mentioned
From your point of view for writing skill should focus more on TA and CC and develop sentences and have a enough purpose for each one.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For listening how you tackle your problem ? suppose you found that problem is section 4 how you try to solve them?from which reference ?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reading :
Could you suggest some useful reference which was made you assured for reading section ?Cambridge 1 - 14 ?
I think there are enough passage to analyse candidate's ability
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regards