+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IELTS Tutor - Ask Me Anything

FastTrackIELTS

Star Member
May 20, 2017
Yes,my exam was on 13th may and when I check online it says no result found... So not sure
I wrote a mail to BC and they said that my result is under scrutiny... Tensed now...
It may just be delays in their processing of the results - I wouldn't worry too much about it just yet. Give them a few more days and keep following up for a response.

branda5

Apr 30, 2017
Hi, academic writing vs general writing marking. I’m familiar with both, and I know the difference in writing tasks.
My question is:
1. If someone who had score 6.5 in academic writing, can be considered 7.5 for general writing. I mean capable to get higher score without any extra study.

For example, like if you are having intermediate course your essay mark based on the level of your study and for same essay you will get less mark if you are having advance course. Am right?

ja_jamal

Star Member
Jul 24, 2016
NOC Code......
Hi Jordan,

My IELTS exam is expired and I want retake it now. I need help in verifying my writing and speaking. Please advice

VenuMargoni

Jun 10, 2017
Hi Jordon,

GoodDay!!

I am preparing for general module test. Could you please let me know what is minimum band score for applying express entry visa.

Thanks for your help!

Thanks
Venu M

warsapp

Star Member
Dec 19, 2014
Visa Office......
Warsaw
NOC Code......
Dear Jordan,
I have got some questions regarding IELTs remarking.
First of all, do my writing task 1 and 2 will be checked by the same examiner?
Secondly, will they know what score I was given by the examiners in my local test centre?
Thirdly, will they know my band scores in other sections of my IELTs exam?
Finally, according to your experience what are the odds of 0.5 score increase in writing section considering that my writing is 6.5 and I need 7?

FastTrackIELTS

Star Member
May 20, 2017
Hi, academic writing vs general writing marking. I’m familiar with both, and I know the difference in writing tasks.
My question is:
1. If someone who had score 6.5 in academic writing, can be considered 7.5 for general writing. I mean capable to get higher score without any extra study.

For example, like if you are having intermediate course your essay mark based on the level of your study and for same essay you will get less mark if you are having advance course. Am right?

Hi Branda,

Thanks for your question. I think that you raise an interesting point. It is certainly true that the IELTS General is less rigorous than IELTS Academic. However, there is no set way in which that might impact on your results. That is to say, there is no guarantee that you would get a 7.5 in IELTS General because you scored a 6.5 in Academic.

While you may not need to do any extra study in terms of your English language, it is vital that you are prepared for the differences in the papers and undertake practice with the appropriate papers if you are going to do General, otherwise you may struggle to do well.

Good luck!

FastTrackIELTS

Star Member
May 20, 2017
Hi Jordan,

My IELTS exam is expired and I want retake it now. I need help in verifying my writing and speaking. Please advice
Hi! It is great that you want to retake your IELTS exam. You may wish to visit www.passmyielts.com. We have lots of free resources and lessons available to all which will definitely help you with your writing and speaking as well as general advice and tips. We also offer 1:1 online video training with IELTS tutors which our students find really useful, particularly as it enables them to practice their speaking with a IELTS tutor prior to taking the formal exam. More information is available at www.passmyielts.com. Best of luck to you! Jordan.

FastTrackIELTS

Star Member
May 20, 2017
Hi Jordon,

GoodDay!!

I am preparing for general module test. Could you please let me know what is minimum band score for applying express entry visa.

Thanks for your help!

Thanks
Venu M

Hi Venu, thanks for your question. My best advice is for you to visit this webpage - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/language-testing.asp

This contains all the information you will need about the Express Entry Visa language testing band score requirements - it varies according to which type of profession you are in and .the programme you are applying for.

Good luck, Jordan.

FastTrackIELTS

Star Member
May 20, 2017
Dear Jordan,
I have got some questions regarding IELTs remarking.
First of all, do my writing task 1 and 2 will be checked by the same examiner?
Secondly, will they know what score I was given by the examiners in my local test centre?
Thirdly, will they know my band scores in other sections of my IELTs exam?
Finally, according to your experience what are the odds of 0.5 score increase in writing section considering that my writing is 6.5 and I need 7?
Hi, thanks very much for your questions.

1. The remark will be undertaken by a Senior Examiner who will mark both parts of the Writing paper.
2 and 3. This information has not been shared by the British Council.
4. In my experience, remarks work best if you need a change in just speaking or writing of half a band score. Therefore an increase to 7 from 6.5 is definitely possible.

Here is my advice about considering remarks:

Why you might consider it

• Your other scores are consistently higher (eg 7.5/7.0/7.0/6.0). The idea is that you should get approximately the same score in each skill. It can particularly help to look at any difference between the speaking and writing scores here.

• You know that you completed the papers and didn’t do anything that may have caused a deduction.

• An experienced teacher has assessed your writing/speaking as being worth a higher score. It can be easy for candidates to misjudge their own skills. This is particularly true in writing where coherence and cohesion is 25% of the score.

• You have taken the test before and got a higher band score for that skill

Why you might decide not to try

• It takes 6-8 weeks: it may be quicker to re-sit the test

• Did you not finish a writing question? In this case, don’t bother. You were probably penalised heavily on task response

• Did you completely understand the question in the writing? If not, don’t bother. You were probably penalised on task response

• If there is a big difference (2 band scores) between any of your papers, then two different examiners will have looked at your writing and speaking anyway. The senior examiner may still change the score, but your chances are perhaps smaller

• You have taken the test more than once and your band score for that skill is consistently low

Don’t forget the other option – do it again and get a better score

The other option is of course to sit the test again. It shouldn’t happen like this, but most candidates I know come back with a different set of results each time – even when the tests are only one or two weeks apart.

I’d add that one of my standard pieces of advice is to book two tests at once if you can afford it. You very very unlikely to complain if you get the score first time around.

Best of luck! Jordan

Narmina 1984

Jun 14, 2017
Baku
Category........
FSW
Hi Jordan,

I am in the process of IELTS preparation. I face serious difficulties with Reading module. Could you please share your advices?

Thanks in advance,
Narmina

FastTrackIELTS

Star Member
May 20, 2017
Hi Jordan,

I am in the process of IELTS preparation. I face serious difficulties with Reading module. Could you please share your advices?

Thanks in advance,
Narmina

Hi Narmina,

Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear that you are having difficulties with the Reading module. Many students find this a difficult section due to the high levels of comprehension, in addition to a nuanced understanding of grammar and knowledge of complex vocabulary, that is needed to get those high band scores. Is there anything you are especially struggling with that you can pinpoint?

My best advice is to undertake as many past paper questions as you can, this will enhance your skills at decoding English language texts and identifying the relevant information for the exam. We have lots of past paper questions available at www.passmyielts.com, all of which you can access for free. We also have a variety of free lessons and exercises available on www.passmyielts.com which target the skills you need for success in reading. Alternatively, we offer 1:1 video training with myself or another IELTS tutor which will enable us to analyse your specific strengths and areas for development and offer you a tailored programme to address your needs.

Please get in touch if you have any more questions.

Best of luck!
Narmina

Narmina 1984

Jun 14, 2017
Baku
Category........
FSW
Hi Jordan,

Thanks for prompt reply. I will definitely check both websites. My main problem appearance with text understanding. Seems like sense remains difficult :( when I tried to read passages I can not remember the whole meaning. I move to the second passage and forget about first one...

Is it possible to arrange sich a video training with you?

Regards,
Narmina

Hi Narmina,

Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear that you are having difficulties with the Reading module. Many students find this a difficult section due to the high levels of comprehension, in addition to a nuanced understanding of grammar and knowledge of complex vocabulary, that is needed to get those high band scores. Is there anything you are especially struggling with that you can pinpoint?

My best advice is to undertake as many past paper questions as you can, this will enhance your skills at decoding English language texts and identifying the relevant information for the exam. We have lots of past paper questions available at www.passmyielts.com, all of which you can access for free. We also have a variety of free lessons and exercises available on www.passmyielts.com which target the skills you need for success in reading. Alternatively, we offer 1:1 video training with myself or another IELTS tutor which will enable us to analyse your specific strengths and areas for development and offer you a tailored programme to address your needs.

Please get in touch if you have any more questions.

Best of luck!
Narmina

FastTrackIELTS

Star Member
May 20, 2017
Hi Jordan,

Thanks for prompt reply. I will definitely check both websites. My main problem appearance with text understanding. Seems like sense remains difficult :( when I tried to read passages I can not remember the whole meaning. I move to the second passage and forget about first one...

Is it possible to arrange sich a video training with you?

Regards,
Narmina
Hi Narmina,

No problem at all. It is definitely really challenging to sustain and develop your understanding of the text in the IELTS exam, they are really long passages! You're definitely not the only one who finds it difficult. It sounds to me like you might benefit from some study skills techniques to improve your skimming, scanning and comprehension skills.

Yes, definitely - you can book video training at www.passmyielts.com/online-training. (That link should take you straight to the booking portal). We can get you booked in straight away there at a time which will work for you. In the first session we can talk more about what you find challenging, work on those reading techniques and make an action plan going forward.

Speak to you soon,
Jordan