+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IELTS score requirement for CNO registration (crne)

baby_gurl

Star Member
Dec 24, 2010
Malaybalay City
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Request
September 2010
Med's Done....
October 2010
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
still waiting
LANDED..........
planning on July 2011
i just found out a few days ago that they have changed their IELTS requirement for registration from ACADEMIC only to accepting both ACADEMIC and GENERAL training IELTS. i was so relieved coz I took General Training last April 2010. i was going to retake IELTS for academic training this january for my CNO registration and CRNE application. good thing they would still accept more than 6 months old IELTS result.

just wanted to share for those who are not aware of their new IELTS policy.

kimwayne

Nov 9, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-11-10
Doc's Request.
BD has been cashed out(Nov.10,2010)
Nomination.....
In Process(February 23,2011),Centralized Intake Office Sydney (CIO-S) Eligibility Review Complete (February 26,2011)
AOR Received.
PER received February 23,2011,2nd AOR(Per) March 17,2011
IELTS Request
submitted with the rest of the documents
File Transfer...
March 24,2011
Med's Request
July 13,2011
Med's Done....
July 28,2011.Payment for processing and RPRF for my wife done in SEPT.16,2011
Interview........
i hope not
Passport Req..
Nov.28,2011
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 11,2011
LANDED..........
April 30,2012..Successfully completed and became a permanent resident holder.
baby_gurl said:
i just found out a few days ago that they have changed their IELTS requirement for registration from ACADEMIC only to accepting both ACADEMIC and GENERAL training IELTS. i was so relieved coz I took General Training last April 2010. i was going to retake IELTS for academic training this january for my CNO registration and CRNE application. good thing they would still accept more than 6 months old IELTS result.

just wanted to share for those who are not aware of their new IELTS policy.

Merry christmas and thanks for sharing this information.

baby_gurl

Star Member
Dec 24, 2010
Malaybalay City
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Request
September 2010
Med's Done....
October 2010
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
still waiting
LANDED..........
planning on July 2011
zakout76 said:
WHITCH better general or academic?

GENERAL TRAINING is easier to pass. although there's only one difference from Academic training: WRITING part.
Academic training writing exam consists of Graph interpretation and essay writing. General training consists of Letter writing (friendly letter, business letter, etc) and essay writing. Here in Philippines, it's the writing part that most filipinos struggle with. personally, it's the same for me. the fist time i took IELTS, i did good with my speaking, reading, and listening. i only got 6.0 in writing. but since i used that exam for my VisaScreen application in U.S.A. my results were good enough.

I took the General training IELTS April year because Canadian embassy required it for my immigration application. I was worried with my writing but i got a 6.5 in writing, 8.5 in listening, 7.0 in reading, and 8.0 in speaking. I was going to retake IELTS next month for CNO registration. Luckily, I rechecked and found out they are now accepting general training, unlike a few months ago.

by the way, Ontario requires the minimum results of:
writing: 6.5
listening: 6.5
reading: 6.5
speaking: 7.0

jijitipie

Nov 9, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila; noc 3152
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July8,2011
AOR Received.
Oct6,2011
File Transfer...
Nov15,2011
Med's Request
Jan4,2012
Med's Done....
Jan12,2012
Passport Req..
May 23,2012, PP received by CEM: May 28,2012 @ 10:30am
VISA ISSUED...
May 30,2012
LANDED..........
July 2012
hi guys!

ive been reviewing for academic writing but ive changed my mind
upon reading here that cno also accepts general ielts......?
i want to review this february a general writing tasks (ielts)..

please enlighten me with this decision..coz ive been reviewing for bar,charts,tables,flowchart/process,
,maps,pies etc..but i am confused whether to pursue academic or general training.

thank you guys,.

jijitipie

Nov 9, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila; noc 3152
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July8,2011
AOR Received.
Oct6,2011
File Transfer...
Nov15,2011
Med's Request
Jan4,2012
Med's Done....
Jan12,2012
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
May 30,2012
LANDED..........
July 2012
baby_gurl said:
GENERAL TRAINING is easier to pass. although there's only one difference from Academic training: WRITING part.
Academic training writing exam consists of Graph interpretation and essay writing. General training consists of Letter writing (friendly letter, business letter, etc) and essay writing. Here in Philippines, it's the writing part that most filipinos struggle with. personally, it's the same for me. the fist time i took IELTS, i did good with my speaking, reading, and listening. i only got 6.0 in writing. but since i used that exam for my VisaScreen application in U.S.A. my results were good enough.

I took the General training IELTS April year because Canadian embassy required it for my immigration application. I was worried with my writing but i got a 6.5 in writing, 8.5 in listening, 7.0 in reading, and 8.0 in speaking. I was going to retake IELTS next month for CNO registration. Luckily, I rechecked and found out they are now accepting general training, unlike a few months ago.

hi babygurl..

can you pm an important tips for your reading technique..on how to locate the answers on the passages easily..pls?

and a sampe of your writing task 1 (business letter)

thanks..

baby_gurl

Star Member
Dec 24, 2010
Malaybalay City
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Request
September 2010
Med's Done....
October 2010
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
still waiting
LANDED..........
planning on July 2011
jijitipie said:
hi guys!

ive been reviewing for academic writing but ive changed my mind
upon reading here that cno also accepts general ielts......?
i want to review this february a general writing tasks (ielts)..

please enlighten me with this decision..coz ive been reviewing for bar,charts,tables,flowchart/process,
,maps,pies etc..but i am confused whether to pursue academic or general training.

thank you guys,.

are you taking the exam for your visa application or registration for CNO? coz if you are taking for your visa application, they require GENERAL TRAINING. and like me, i am sending the same IELTS results (general training) i submitted for my visa application to the CNO for my RN registration.

this was the letter COLLEGE OF NURSES sent to me after i inquired regarding their IELTS requirements:

The CNO accepts both Academic and General categories for IELTS, accepted scores are: 6.5 over all (Writing, Reading, Listening) and 7.0 in Spoken. The CNO does not have an expiry date for fluency tests. Fluency is not a requirement to take the national exam but it will be required to obtain your nursing license in Ontario. If you have already completed the fluency test and would like it evaluated by the CNO please request the testing centre to mail your results directly to the CNO.

i don't know for others, but personally i think there's a better chance of getting a passing score with GENERAL TRAINING since it's only writing a simple business or friendly letter. of course, you have to organize the thoughts and point of your letter to get a good if not a passing score. Rather than with graph, charts, or diagram interpretation where there are certain rules you have to follow such as the use of certain words such as declining, escalating, sudden drop/rise, etc just to describe the image given, and making sure you are not being redundant and confusing at the same time. That was my fear and struggle before. Lucky if you get a simple diagram/process to interpret, but i still find it a challenge to not consume so much time figuring out how to interpret 2-3 graphs and correlate them to each other and having to organize your statements.

but that's just for me. i also know a lot of people who actually get good marks with the writing area. i guess if you'll do great at the ESSAY part, you won't have to worry so much with your graph interpretation since essay has more marks than graph/charts/diagram interpretation.

i suggest with the essay, you read lots of sample writings online. and if you have time, try writing on your own and compare it to other samples. you don't have to have the same ideas or points. there are no wrong or right answers. just organization of thoughts and opinions and how you relay it to the reader.

that's what i did when i reviewed for my ielts. i only joined the final coaching (a week before the exam date). i read a lot of writing samples online. i just familiarized how they just SIMPLY explained their essay and also, getting a glimpse of other people's opinion about certain topics won't be such a bad thing. it could come in handy to whatever topic you would be given during the actual exam.

jijitipie

Nov 9, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila; noc 3152
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July8,2011
AOR Received.
Oct6,2011
File Transfer...
Nov15,2011
Med's Request
Jan4,2012
Med's Done....
Jan12,2012
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
May 30,2012
LANDED..........
July 2012
baby_gurl said:
are you taking the exam for your visa application or registration for CNO? coz if you are taking for your visa application, they require GENERAL TRAINING. and like me, i am sending the same IELTS results (general training) i submitted for my visa application to the CNO for my RN registration.

this was the letter COLLEGE OF NURSES sent to me after i inquired regarding their IELTS requirements:

The CNO accepts both Academic and General categories for IELTS, accepted scores are: 6.5 over all (Writing, Reading, Listening) and 7.0 in Spoken. The CNO does not have an expiry date for fluency tests. Fluency is not a requirement to take the national exam but it will be required to obtain your nursing license in Ontario. If you have already completed the fluency test and would like it evaluated by the CNO please request the testing centre to mail your results directly to the CNO.

i don't know for others, but personally i think there's a better chance of getting a passing score with GENERAL TRAINING since it's only writing a simple business or friendly letter. of course, you have to organize the thoughts and point of your letter to get a good if not a passing score. Rather than with graph, charts, or diagram interpretation where there are certain rules you have to follow such as the use of certain words such as declining, escalating, sudden drop/rise, etc just to describe the image given, and making sure you are not being redundant and confusing at the same time. That was my fear and struggle before. Lucky if you get a simple diagram/process to interpret, but i still find it a challenge to not consume so much time figuring out how to interpret 2-3 graphs and correlate them to each other and having to organize your statements.

but that's just for me. i also know a lot of people who actually get good marks with the writing area. i guess if you'll do great at the ESSAY part, you won't have to worry so much with your graph interpretation since essay has more marks than graph/charts/diagram interpretation.

i suggest with the essay, you read lots of sample writings online. and if you have time, try writing on your own and compare it to other samples. you don't have to have the same ideas or points. there are no wrong or right answers. just organization of thoughts and opinions and how you relay it to the reader.

that's what i did when i reviewed for my ielts. i only joined the final coaching (a week before the exam date). i read a lot of writing samples online. i just familiarized how they just SIMPLY explained their essay and also, getting a glimpse of other people's opinion about certain topics won't be such a bad thing. it could come in handy to whatever topic you would be given during the actual exam.

Thank you for this information babygurl.. i will first register to CNO..try my luck first.. then if it didnt turn out in favor of my docs..then il apply for the other options (like RPN (working visa) or (immigrant) that would require general ielts..

hows your ielts and cno result? are they very strict with their ielts result? for eg (i got a total score of 7.5, but i have 6 in writing) ..how would they judge it?

khai

Aug 6, 2010
Philippines
Category........
Visa Office......
manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-08-2010
AOR Received.
08-12-2010/17-03-2011
IELTS Request
GT IELTS request: January 21, 2011
File Transfer...
13-04-2011
Med's Request
03-05-2011
Med's Done....
24-05-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
20-06-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-07-2011
LANDED..........
04-08-2011
Thanks for the update babygurl..I'd like to add something though, the difference between Academic and General Training module in IELTS is the Writing and Reading task.. :)

I took the Academic IELTS April last year and was required by CIC to take the GT.. :)

baby_gurl

Star Member
Dec 24, 2010
Malaybalay City
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Request
September 2010
Med's Done....
October 2010
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
still waiting
LANDED..........
planning on July 2011
jijitipie said:
Thank you for this information babygurl.. i will first register to CNO..try my luck first.. then if it didnt turn out in favor of my docs..then il apply for the other options (like RPN (working visa) or (immigrant) that would require general ielts..

hows your ielts and cno result? are they very strict with their ielts result? for eg (i got a total score of 7.5, but i have 6 in writing) ..how would they judge it?

i believe I posted my IELTS result in my earlier thread post. British Council is still in process of sending my results to the CNO. in 8-9 days CNO will receive it. I will call them again to follow up.

I suggest you call CNO with regards to your result since it's not that far from their required score. I've read in a thread somewhere way back that she called up the college of nursing (not sure if it's Ontario) and the college considered and accepted her IELTS result. might as well give it a try ;)

Good luck!

jijitipie

Nov 9, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila; noc 3152
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July8,2011
AOR Received.
Oct6,2011
File Transfer...
Nov15,2011
Med's Request
Jan4,2012
Med's Done....
Jan12,2012
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
May 30,2012
LANDED..........
July 2012
baby_gurl said:
i believe I posted my IELTS result in my earlier thread post. British Council is still in process of sending my results to the CNO. in 8-9 days CNO will receive it. I will call them again to follow up.

I suggest you call CNO with regards to your result since it's not that far from their required score. I've read in a thread somewhere way back that she called up the college of nursing (not sure if it's Ontario) and the college considered and accepted her IELTS result. might as well give it a try ;)

Good luck!
hi i cant find your score here in the forum..btw..do you know how many years does ielts expired?
what is the maximum length of IELTS that CNO accepts?1 or 2years? coz im planning to take ielts now..im afraid that my ielts will just expire.

baby_gurl

Star Member
Dec 24, 2010
Malaybalay City
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Request
September 2010
Med's Done....
October 2010
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
still waiting
LANDED..........
planning on July 2011
please read the posts ABOVE. I'm sure i posted them and also the letter CNO sent regarding IELTS. I'm not sure if I understand it correctly but CNO mentioned there's no expiration. but don't take my word for it. read the email they sent which i already posted.

jijitipie

Nov 9, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila; noc 3152
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July8,2011
AOR Received.
Oct6,2011
File Transfer...
Nov15,2011
Med's Request
Jan4,2012
Med's Done....
Jan12,2012
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
May 30,2012
LANDED..........
July 2012
baby_gurl said:

wow..ur 8 in speaking..u must be very good in english.

anyways..how many months did you review? so that i could have an idea.
im starting to review now for general (self review)..
and my alloted time for it is 2 weeks..im not yet confident..

baby_gurl

Star Member
Dec 24, 2010
Malaybalay City
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Request
September 2010
Med's Done....
October 2010
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
still waiting
LANDED..........
planning on July 2011
jijitipie said:
wow..ur 8 in speaking..u must be very good in english.

anyways..how many months did you review? so that i could have an idea.
im starting to review now for general (self review)..
and my alloted time for it is 2 weeks..im not yet confident..
the IELTS exam i took last april with those recent scores was my 2nd take. my first was almost 3 years ago. it expired and i had to submit a valid IELTS result for my immigration application.

For my first take 3 years ago, i reviewed in a center for a month. Then, I was reviewing for Academic IELTS. last year, i only reviewed for 10 days (final coaching). It was sort of a refresh of the exam and I just wanted to have an idea how to do the writing exam since part I is different with General Training from Academic. My instructor didn't do much speaking review with me. She said I did not need to worry on it. I think we only had 2 to 3 sessions for speaking withing my 10 days review. I only focused on writing and did some practices on listening and reading just to enhance what i already learned from my previous review. You don't really need to worry about reading and listening... as long as you know what you're doing.

With speaking, you just need to build your confidence. I myself can tell there was a big difference between my first speaking test and second. on my first take, i only had a speaking result of 7.0. i was crazy nervous and the interviewer was the known "tiger" during that batch. That did not help at all. However, it helps to psyche yourself. What i said to myself was: "She does not know me and after I am done with this interview, we'll never see each other again, nor will she remember who I am. So, i might as well just put on a face and let it all out... no hesitations, no awkwardness... just try to be confident and be comfortable with everything you have to say. be yourself." the same thing i said to myself during my 2nd take. of course, i was still nervous, but knowing what to expect and that i have done it before, that helped me boost my confidence. With speaking, it's all about confidence and remember, THERE'S NO WRONG OR RIGHT ANSWER. they just want to know if you can hold a conversation clearly.. not necessarily very fluent but at least understandable enough :)

Good luck! hope my tips will help you. :)

coffeecity

Mar 23, 2011

Hello.. im new here..

i took the Academic IELTS last JUNE 2010.. with a score of..
listening= 8.5
reading=6.5
writing=7.0
speaking=7.0

i used my IELTS results and mailed for my CNO(used with the old forms) and FSW immigrant application..
the letter above from CNO.. says.. theres no expiration for fluency tests... does it mean.. no expiration in the 4 areas of IELTS??