+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ielts gt answers 27 oct

Trumped2018

Star Member
Nov 1, 2018
M also sure it was certificate.. as she ssid babies/toddlers to confuse us..
I have been reading this forum for sometime and was resisting writing my comments here.
But then I felt that I should lay this to rest for you all.

In the audio, the man was naming the various certificates. All the certificate names he initially took were 'X Swimmers'. But the lady could not recall if any of those were in fact the one her child had. Then, the man said "Was it the Smart Ones?".
In this context 'Smart Ones' is a proper noun as it is the name of a certificate.

The questions was something like this:
Certification completed: ................ swimmers
I.e. the blank needs to be filled to complete the name of the certification. However, the fitment of the the correct answer here is a little weird but not grammatically incorrect. This is because the correct answer does not flow well with the ending word 'swimmers'. This can be a mistake on part of IELTS and not a deliberate trick. Section 1 usually has very basic tricks. Moreover, errors in questions is not something uncommon in IELTS Listening. This happens on so many occasions. Even their official practice material (which are actual tests) with the CD also has errors in the listening section.
These tests are sampled by a closed group of experts and an answer key is prepared beforehand. But the process is not error free. So, the answer key often get revised after the test.

The big question is how the various answers that people have provided will be judged:
a) Smart: even though not the correct full name but they might accept if they think that they goofed up on the question
b) Smartones: sorry friends this one is definitely incorrect. smart and ones were recited as two separate words. combining them is against the basic laws of English. those who have marked Smartones will not get away with this.
c) Smart Ones: might be marked correct even though the section required answering with one word and/or number
d) Smart-Ones: might be marked correct.
e) Smart 1(s): Is the correct answer in their key as the certificates for young swimmers are given based on their age group - toddler, infant, etc. 1 here refers to the age of the swimmers. the lady's child did not know how to swim but had some experience. this is very common in the western world where kids are introduced to the water at a tender age. my daughter also went for these classes and certificates are awarded at completion of each level with a picture and medal to encourage the kids. modern swimming academies have program names similar to names of marine animals while the traditional ones have names in sync with the age group of the child. And, I know for a fact that there is a group for babies less than 2 year old.
f) Smart-1(s): Again, correct
f) All others: Definitely wrong

I myself did not have the presence of mind to right the number as '1'. Although, my scores don't matter much as my dear wife nailed her IELTS a month back in her very first attempt, I am 100% sure I am getting a 9 in both L & R.

You can clarify any answer with me for the 27th October general test in India to quench your curiosity.

PRPR

Star Member
Oct 28, 2018
I have been reading this forum for sometime and was resisting writing my comments here.

In the audio, the man was naming the various certificates. All the certificate names he initially took were 'X Swimmers'. But the lady could not recall if any of those were in fact the one her child had. Then, the man said "Was it the Smart Ones?".
In this context 'Smart Ones' is a proper noun as it is the name of a certificate.

I.e. the blank needs to be filled to complete the name of the certification. However, the fitment of the the correct answer here is a little weird but not grammatically incorrect. This is because the correct answer does not flow well with the ending word 'swimmers'. This can be a mistake on part of IELTS and not a deliberate trick. Section 1 usually has very basic tricks. Moreover, errors in questions is not something uncommon in IELTS Listening. This happens on so many occasions. Even their official practice material (which are actual tests) with the CD also has errors in the listening section.
These tests are sampled by a closed group of experts and an answer key is prepared beforehand. But the process is not error free. So, the answer key often get revised after the test.

The big question is how the various answers that people have provided will be judged:
a) Smart: even though not the correct full name but they might accept if they think that they goofed up on the question
b) Smartones: sorry friends this one is definitely incorrect. smart and ones were recited as two separate words. combining them is against the basic laws of English. those who have marked Smartones will not get away with this.
c) Smart Ones: might be marked correct even though the section required answering with one word and/or number
e) Smart 1(s): Is the correct answer in their key as the certificates for young swimmers are given based on their age group - toddler, infant, etc. 1 here refers to the age of the swimmers. the lady's child did not know how to swim but had some experience. this is very common in the western world where kids are introduced to the water at a tender age. my daughter also went for these classes and certificates are awarded at completion of each level with a picture and medal to encourage the kids. modern swimming academies have program names similar to names of marine animals while the traditional ones have names in sync with the age group of the child. And, I know for a fact that there is a group for babies less than 2 year old.

I myself did not have the presence of mind to right the number as '1'. Although, my scores don't matter much as my dear wife nailed her IELTS a month back in her very first attempt, I am 100% sure I am getting a 9 in both L & R.

You can clarify any answer with me for the 27th October general test in India to quench your curiosity.
Makes sense - i too think , they have committed error of some sort !

Akhil Soni

Star Member
Feb 9, 2018

Kindly share your answers if possible, for q 26to 31, listening

MY.CANADADREAMS

Sep 30, 2018

Although, I am sure you will score a 9 smart 1 is wrong for sure.... it was mentioned to write 1 word... they did not write 1 word and/or number !
secondly, its very easy to say that they goofed up the questions.. I do not think that was the case since there questions are infallible. BTW I am expecting a 9 too.... and I wrote smart !

Also because the dialogue was something like the speaker first acted confused saying it was careful certificate and then corrected herself saying it was smart ones..... smart ones here meant smart certificate. Don't know why is there soo much confusion here where in other forums people have confirmed this answer.

Tech_girl123

Jan 20, 2018
App. Filed.......
30-DEC-2017
well all said and done ! just 1 week to go .. let's wait and see... ! this certificate question is something which everyone is unsure of :)

Reeva Gandhi

Oct 22, 2018

Please can you confirm rest of the answers of listening for section 3 and 4 in case if you remember

PRPR

Star Member
Oct 28, 2018
Please can you confirm rest of the answers of listening for section 3 and 4 in case if you remember

Here u go -

Furniture one

answers a) low price
b) magazine as a promotion
c) flex working hours for staff
d) fence amending
e) installation free for kitchen

2) sandra passage

a) development
b) need more explanation
c) movement of human body
d)poster
e) artist
f)balanced view by reviwer (somthing of this sort)

3) cover page - headings

a) cover page- lettering
b) jewellery- precision
c) something on feeling- mood answer
d) soemthing on idea- originality answer

May be answers are not in order

Reactions: Reeva Gandhi

pnkrenjith

Oct 28, 2018
I didnt remember my answers but defenitely i wrote 7 wrong answers which make my score into 32-35, did i get a 7.5 ?