+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IELTS General Reading Practice

Tech_girl123

Jan 20, 2018
App. Filed.......
30-DEC-2017
Y/N/NG :-

Line in the Passage :

Estimates show that is the presnt rapid population growth and declining trend in fish production continue, only 10kg of fish will be available per filipino
per year by 2010, as opposed to 28.5 kg per year in 2003.

Question for Y/N/NG : -

Available fish resources in the Philippines are expected to reduce by more than 50% over a period of 7 years.

Can someone pls explain why the answer is not NG ?

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018

Line in the Passage :

Estimates show that is the presnt rapid population growth and declining trend in fish production continue, only 10kg of fish will be available per filipino

Available fish resources in the Philippines are expected to reduce by more than 50% over a period of 7 years.

There are two reasons for average to drop. Decrease in fish resources and increase in population. So if the question was average fish per fillipino is dropping by 50% answer is yes. But question is whether fish resources are dropping by 50% that is not given. For that matter if the question was whether population has doubled the answer would be not given. Makes sense?

Tech_girl123

Jan 20, 2018
App. Filed.......
30-DEC-2017
There are two reasons for average to drop. Decrease in fish resources and increase in population. So if the question was average fish per fillipino is dropping by 50% answer is yes. But question is whether fish resources are dropping by 50% that is not given. For that matter if the question was whether population has doubled the answer would be not given. Makes sense?
I also wrote Not given but-the answer provided is True.

Tech_girl123

Jan 20, 2018
App. Filed.......
30-DEC-2017
Few more questions,

#question 1
Westonbirt

Westonbirt really comes into its own when the trees show off Their autumn color. There are over 16,000 trees and 17 miles of paths at Westonbirt,
which also looks its best in spring with displays of rhododendrons, azaleas, and magnolias.

question for T/F/NG :

• Westonbirt is really worth seeing in at least two different seasons.

My answer was not given which was incorrect.

Hidcote Manor

This is an arts & crafts masterpiece hidden down a series of twisting country lanes in the Costworth. It was designed and developed by current owner Maj. Lawrence Johnson, a wealthy, well educated and eccentric American Who fought with the british army in the boer and first world wars. Johnson sponsored and participated in plant hunting expeditions around the world to secure and exotic species for this extremely pretty garden.

question for T/F/NG

• It might be difficult to find Hincote Manor.
  • The owner of Hincote manor is quite young.
My answer was not given which was incorrect. :(

question #2

Passage:
Work hours :

We understand that your time commitment is entirely voluntary and hence flexible.

statement for t/f/ng
You can choose your own hours of work.

Last edited:

H0peAndFa1th

Jun 19, 2017
Few more questions,

#question 1
Westonbirt

Westonbirt really comes into its own when the trees show off Their autumn color. There are over 16,000 trees and 17 miles of paths at Westonbirt,
which also looks its best in spring with displays of rhododendrons, azaleas, and magnolias.

question for T/F/NG :

• Westonbirt is really worth seeing in at least two different seasons.

My answer was not given which was incorrect.
see : which also looks its best, its implying that it looks good in autumn

so not given in incorrect
Hidcote Manor

This is an arts & crafts masterpiece hidden down a series of twisting country lanes in the Costworth. It was designed and developed by current owner Maj. Lawrence Johnson, a wealthy, well educated and eccentric American Who fought with the british army in the boer and first world wars. Johnson sponsored and participated in plant hunting expeditions around the world to secure and exotic species for this extremely pretty garden.

question for T/F/NG
  • It might be difficult to find Hincote Manor.
  • The owner of Hincote manor is quite young.
My answer was not given which was incorrect. :(
might be difficult to find = hidden down a series of twisting country lanes = true
The owner of Hincote manor is quite young = not given
question #2

Passage:
Work hours :

We understand that your time commitment is entirely voluntary and hence flexible.

statement for t/f/ng
You can choose your own hours of work.
because its voluntary, it means you can choose the time,
so : true

Tech_girl123

Jan 20, 2018
App. Filed.......
30-DEC-2017
see : which also looks its best, its implying that it looks good in autumn

so not given in incorrect

might be difficult to find = hidden down a series of twisting country lanes = true
The owner of Hincote manor is quite young = not given

because its voluntary, it means you can choose the time,
so : true

The owner of Hincote manor is quite young = not given Is incorrect according to answer sheet. It should be true :(

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
The owner of Hincote manor is quite young = not given Is incorrect according to answer sheet. It should be true :(
What was the context of the passage because as per the passage he fought in first world war. So if the context is today he is too young is actually false given world war happened long time ago. So is there a time period mentioned in the passage before those lines?

Tech_girl123

Jan 20, 2018
App. Filed.......
30-DEC-2017
Guys,

another set of true false not given question which got me confused! pls help me understand if there is any trick to
solve these type of questions :

True false not given
Passage :

Of course, people vary. De Vany acknowledges that our answers were adapted to a variety of terrains and climates.

Question :
Geographical features have played a role in human physical development.

Passage:
Cordain points out that genetic differences between populations lead to different physical strengths. Easy Africans, for example, seem to be
better endurance runners, West Africans better sprinters. But human genetic similarity greatly outweighs the variations. and because our genes have changed so very little since Palaeolithic times, if you want to be lean, mean, survival machine why not try exercising like a caveman?

question :
The importance of genetic differences in deciding an exercise programme is minimal.

For source reference : ( page 139)
http://imgs.khuyenmai.zing.vn/files/tailieu/tieng-anh-ngoai-ngu/tieng-anh-pho-thong/art7plus_split_6_6894.pdf

Tech_girl123

Jan 20, 2018
App. Filed.......
30-DEC-2017
In the passage given :

A Prevention survey found that children whose parents keep in shape are much more likely to have healthy body weights themselves. “There’s nothing worse than telling a child what he needs to do and not doing it yourself,” says Elizabeth Ward, R.D., a Boston nutritional consultant and author of Healthy Foods, Healthy Kids . “Set a good example and get your nutritional house in order first.” In the 1930s and ’40s, kids expended 800 calories a day just walking, carrying water, and doing other chores, notes Fima Lifshitz, M.D., a pediatric endocrinologist in Santa Barbara. “Now, kids in obese families are expending only 200 calories a day in physical activity,” says Lifshitz, “incorporate more movement in your family’s lifepark farther away from the stores at the mall, take stairs instead of the elevator, and walk to nearby friends’ houses instead of driving.

question for true false not given :

According to Healthy Kids, the first task is for parents to encourage their children to keep the same healthy body weight.

Pls, help with the answer!

MY.CANADADREAMS

Sep 30, 2018
@cansha Please help in following reading question :

I will follow the format which tech girl is asking above !

Passage :

How exactly does the Mozart Effect work? Researchers are still trying to determine the actual mechanisms for the formation of these enhanced learning pathways. Neuroscientists suspect that music can actually help build and strengthen connections between neurons in the cerebral cortex in a process similar to what occurs in brain development despite its type. When a baby is born, certain connections have already been made - like connections for heartbeat and breathing. As new information is learned and motor skills develop, new neural connections are formed. Neurons that are not used will eventually die while those used repeatedly will form strong connections. Although a large number of these neural connections require experience, they must also occur within a certain time frame. For example, a child born with cataracts cannot develop connections within the visual cortex. If the cataracts are removed by surgery right away, the child’s vision develops normally. However, after the age of 2, if the cataracts are removed, the child will remain blind because those pathways cannot establish themselves.

T/F/NG
There is no neural connection made when a baby is born.

I wrote false.

Last edited:

frew

Star Member
Feb 13, 2018

Line in the Passage :

The answer is TRUE.

Look at the statement more closely.
1. It is an estimate about the future... "Estimates show....only 10kg of fish will be available..."
2. 2010 is in the future. "...only 10kg of fish will be available per Filipino per year by 2010"
3. The statement is comparing 2003 figure with what will be in 7 years time (by 2010)

Therefore, as per the statement, its true the available resources is expected to reduce by more than 50% (from 28.5kg to 10kg) over a period of 7 years (from 2003 to 2010). The information is given and the proper answer is True.

Reactions: Tech_girl123

Tech_girl123

Jan 20, 2018
App. Filed.......
30-DEC-2017
The answer is TRUE.

Look at the statement more closely.
1. It is an estimate about the future... "Estimates show....only 10kg of fish will be available..."
2. 2010 is in the future. "...only 10kg of fish will be available per Filipino per year by 2010"
3. The statement is comparing 2003 figure with what will be in 7 years time (by 2010)

Therefore, as per the statement, its true the available resources is expected to reduce by more than 50% (from 28.5kg to 10kg) over a period of 7 years (from 2003 to 2010). The information is given and the proper answer is True.
Thanks ! :)

MY.CANADADREAMS

Sep 30, 2018
@cansha Please help in following reading question :

I will follow the format which tech girl is asking above !

Passage :

How exactly does the Mozart Effect work? Researchers are still trying to determine the actual mechanisms for the formation of these enhanced learning pathways. Neuroscientists suspect that music can actually help build and strengthen connections between neurons in the cerebral cortex in a process similar to what occurs in brain development despite its type. When a baby is born, certain connections have already been made - like connections for heartbeat and breathing. As new information is learned and motor skills develop, new neural connections are formed. Neurons that are not used will eventually die while those used repeatedly will form strong connections. Although a large number of these neural connections require experience, they must also occur within a certain time frame. For example, a child born with cataracts cannot develop connections within the visual cortex. If the cataracts are removed by surgery right away, the child’s vision develops normally. However, after the age of 2, if the cataracts are removed, the child will remain blind because those pathways cannot establish themselves.

T/F/NG
There is no neural connection made when a baby is born.

I wrote true.
@frew can you help me too ?

Last edited:

frew

Star Member
Feb 13, 2018
@frew can you help me too ?
I would reply TRUE.

Reason:- I think the statement that said "... As new information is learned and motor skills develop, new neural connections are formed... " shows that new neural connections are formed when new information is learned and motor skills develop. I took the word "new neural" as an indication that there are no other neural connections before, as a result, telling us there were no neural connections when a baby is born.

I hope I'm not mistaken...;););)