+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IELTS General Reading Practice

frew

Star Member
Feb 13, 2018
I am sure logically someone can answer that question why i was wrong......waiting for that answer ! :)
I think the basic logic to say NOT GIVEN is to ask yourself if the information pertaining to the specific question is mentioned(given) or not. This is the simple rule in case of Not Given. No assumption or trying to analyze, rather to look at the face value of the statement will help to avoid making mistakes. I usually make mistakes when i try to analyze and answer the question as False instead of Not Given.

meeroz

Sep 12, 2018
Toronto
Category........
Other
Hi everyone, I am going to take Ielts on Oct. 20th. Please, I need any help my problem is in reading..I usually get 5.5 I need 6.5 .. any materials or recommendation.
Thank you

Emmah.Chebet

Sep 16, 2018
  1. Passage excerpt: Being a buddy is voluntary. There is no “requirement” to provide assistance beyond the help outlined above. However, we hope that the buddy and new students will enjoy each other’s company and continue to meet each other.
True / False / Not Given

Question: Buddies will be paid a small allowance.

I am anxiously waiting to read responses.
I also think it's false

anniejasmeet

Mar 7, 2013
HI friends,

I have my ielts re-attempt (old one expired, sadly) on 28th September 2018. My last scores were L, S, R, W = 9, 8, 9, 7.5. = clb 10+ all areas.

I desperately need to hit the same mark again, if not more than clb 10 , then at least CLB 10 ON ALL AREAS to get maximum points for ielts. Actually I have lost almost 25 points for my age due to family reasons and delays since 3-4 years. But now I am geared up and I truly hope things work for me this time!

Please share any practice material you have. This would immensely help me.

If you need help or tips on any particular areas and if someone of the same caliber is having an attempt coming up, then they can call on 9501597609 and discuss.

Strictly NO SPAMMERS or non-serious folks.

Good luck,
Annie

Tech_girl123

Jan 20, 2018
App. Filed.......
30-DEC-2017
Hi,

1 question from true false not given again ! :)

The passage has given:

• Vigilance test :
Blips appear on a cluttered monitor infrequently and at irregular intervals.
5 minutes into the test, one in ten subjects will start to miss the majority of blips, one in ten will still be able to spot nearly all of them and the rest will come somewhere in between.

Statement for true, false not given

after about 5 minutes of a vigilance test, some subjects will still notice some blips.

is it true-false or not given

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
Hi,

1 question from true false not given again ! :)

The passage has given:

• Vigilance test :
Blips appear on a cluttered monitor infrequently and at irregular intervals.
5 minutes into the test, one in ten subjects will start to miss the majority of blips, one in ten will still be able to spot nearly all of them and the rest will come somewhere in between.

Statement for true, false not given

after about 5 minutes of a vigilance test, some subjects will still notice some blips.

is it true-false or not given
True

Ranbir_Dhillon

Star Member
Sep 26, 2018
Chandigarh
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
basically its in true false not given.

See, for example..

passage
As Titanic sank, another ship, believed to have been the Californian, was seen motionless less than 20 miles away. The ship failed to respond to the Titanic's eight distress rockets. Although the officers of the Californian tried to signal the Titanic with their flashing Morse lamp, they did not wake up their radio operator to listen for a distress call. In case of the Californian operator slept unaware while 1500 Titanic passengers drowned only a few miles away.

Statement for y/n/ng:
The captain of the Californian would have brought his ship to the rescue if he had realized that the Titanic was sinking.

The answer i wrote is not given but the correct answer is true ....can anyone explain why ?

Ans : True

Reason :
  1. In case of the Californian operator slept unaware while 1500 Titanic passengers drowned only a few miles away (in passage)
  2. If he had realized that the Titanic was sinking ( in question)

Ranbir_Dhillon

Star Member
Sep 26, 2018
Chandigarh
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
  1. Passage excerpt: Being a buddy is voluntary. There is no “requirement” to provide assistance beyond the help outlined above. However, we hope that the buddy and new students will enjoy each other’s company and continue to meet each other.
True / False / Not Given

Question: Buddies will be paid a small allowance.

I am anxiously waiting to read responses.

I think it would be not given because there is nothing about the allowance in the passage.

Tech_girl123

Jan 20, 2018
App. Filed.......
30-DEC-2017
Thats right. I have one doubt if you can help me understand pls .

5 minutes into the test, and after about 5 minutes of a vigilance test, are the same?

During the time I was giving the test I thgt about 5 minutes of a vig. test means "after the vigilance test, 5 min later"

Ranbir_Dhillon

Star Member
Sep 26, 2018
Chandigarh
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
HI friends,

I have my ielts re-attempt (old one expired, sadly) on 28th September 2018. My last scores were L, S, R, W = 9, 8, 9, 7.5. = clb 10+ all areas.

I desperately need to hit the same mark again, if not more than clb 10 , then at least CLB 10 ON ALL AREAS to get maximum points for ielts. Actually I have lost almost 25 points for my age due to family reasons and delays since 3-4 years. But now I am geared up and I truly hope things work for me this time!

Please share any practice material you have. This would immensely help me.

If you need help or tips on any particular areas and if someone of the same caliber is having an attempt coming up, then they can call on 9501597609 and discuss.

Strictly NO SPAMMERS or non-serious folks.

Good luck,
Annie

Would you mind to share some writing tips here :)

Thanks in advance.

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
Thats right. I have one doubt if you can help me understand pls .

5 minutes into the test, and after about 5 minutes of a vigilance test, are the same?

During the time I was giving the test I thgt about 5 minutes of a vig. test means "after the vigilance test, 5 min later"
Yes they are the same in this context.

Reactions: Tech_girl123