+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IELTS General Computer Based -Listening

Meg106

Star Member
May 18, 2018
Hello,

I have two questions:
1) In a CD-IELTS General Listening , how do we move between different 'parts' within the listening section. For example : would the page automatically refresh and go to the next set of questions or do we click on the menu bar below when the audio asks us to move to the next part or section?

2) Are there any full length computer delivered practice tests which we can avail? Or full listening Computer based test for practice?
The online British council websites have separate listening sections (eg, maps/ multiple choice etc) but not a complete listening section that helps us to know how to navigate to the next part 2 or part 3

Any inputs would help immensely Thanks

Reactions: mariee81

Max003

Star Member
Sep 19, 2017
Hello,

I have two questions:
1) In a CD-IELTS General Listening , how do we move between different 'parts' within the listening section. For example : would the page automatically refresh and go to the next set of questions or do we click on the menu bar below when the audio asks us to move to the next part or section?

2) Are there any full length computer delivered practice tests which we can avail? Or full listening Computer based test for practice?
The online British council websites have separate listening sections (eg, maps/ multiple choice etc) but not a complete listening section that helps us to know how to navigate to the next part 2 or part 3

Any inputs would help immensely Thanks
Hi I’ve written mine yesterday it went well in fact it’s much easier than the paper based one.

1) You have to manually click to go to the next section (once you answered all the question in that particular section go right away to the next as you will get bit more time focus on the next questions, don’t wait computer to say click on the next section). However, to go the next question you simply click on the answer column to write your answer.

2) Unfortunately, no there are no full (40) question practice tests for the computer based, but you will be fine if you take one on the website to get familiar with the question types.

I have enjoyed doing the computer based as it seems much easier than the other, even the multiple choices question are easy breezy. Hope this helps!

Max003

Star Member
Sep 19, 2017
Is idp conducting paper based IELTS ??
No, they have changed the June 20th exam as of today. They will be updating you with a new date within two days. My two cents, go for the computer based because I don’t think the paper based format is gonna furtile any time soon.

Meg106

Star Member
May 18, 2018
Hi I’ve written mine yesterday it went well in fact it’s much easier than the paper based one.

1) You have to manually click to go to the next section (once you answered all the question in that particular section go right away to the next as you will get bit more time focus on the next questions, don’t wait computer to say click on the next section). However, to go the next question you simply click on the answer column to write your answer.

2) Unfortunately, no there are no full (40) question practice tests for the computer based, but you will be fine if you take one on the website to get familiar with the question types.

I have enjoyed doing the computer based as it seems much easier than the other, even the multiple choices question are easy breezy. Hope this helps!
Hey thanks a heap!
Can you highlight/ write notes over the questions in the listening section? Or that's just for Reading.

I am practicing some listening tests from YouTube which say 2020 listening tests but they seem harder.
How is the difficulty level for both listening and reading?
Are the online cambridge and ieltsonline.com sufficient to gauge the difficulty level?
Many thanks!

Max003

Star Member
Sep 19, 2017
Hey thanks a heap!
Can you highlight/ write notes over the questions in the listening section? Or that's just for Reading.

I am practicing some listening tests from YouTube which say 2020 listening tests but they seem harder.
How is the difficulty level for both listening and reading?
Are the online cambridge and ieltsonline.com sufficient to gauge the difficulty level?
Many thanks!
Hi, you certainly can highlight and make notes for both listening and reading, however, keep in mind you have to be an efficient multitasker to do this on listening as the recording requires your utmost attention throughout the sections.

Personally speaking, I had taken paper based module and both are same in terms of difficulty. Nevertheless, my vote is for computer based, but no specific reason for this. As you already aware for listening, first and last section are ‘one word only’ and you will be fine if your English is adequate. Section two and three you can speculate some drag and drop and MCQ questions. As for reading, I think my last exam (June 17) was the easiest I’ve ever done. It’s so easy to navigate because you will have questions in one side and the text on the other so, you don’t have to flip pages, can save a loads of time:).

Finally for Writing, I’ve finished both tasks within 45 minutes. I was comfortable typing on keyboard as opposed to writing. Furthermore, your words will counted automatically hence you don’t have to worry about that. Consequently, you can focus on your task and ideas. Besides, it will definitely look more neat and tidy than writing (since my handwriting sucks lol).

P.S. For practicing listening, just do the Cambridge ones, it is available on YouTube. You just have to type for instance, Cambridge 13 listening 1. Do not relay on other sites as it may cause confusion. I hope this helps!

Meg106

Star Member
May 18, 2018
Hi, you certainly can highlight and make notes for both listening and reading, however, keep in mind you have to be an efficient multitasker to do this on listening as the recording requires your utmost attention throughout the sections.

Personally speaking, I had taken paper based module and both are same in terms of difficulty. Nevertheless, my vote is for computer based, but no specific reason for this. As you already aware for listening, first and last section are ‘one word only’ and you will be fine if your English is adequate. Section two and three you can speculate some drag and drop and MCQ questions. As for reading, I think my last exam (June 17) was the easiest I’ve ever done. It’s so easy to navigate because you will have questions in one side and the text on the other so, you don’t have to flip pages, can save a loads of time:).

Finally for Writing, I’ve finished both tasks within 45 minutes. I was comfortable typing on keyboard as opposed to writing. Furthermore, your words will counted automatically hence you don’t have to worry about that. Consequently, you can focus on your task and ideas. Besides, it will definitely look more neat and tidy than writing (since my handwriting sucks lol).

P.S. For practicing listening, just do the Cambridge ones, it is available on YouTube. You just have to type for instance, Cambridge 13 listening 1. Do not relay on other sites as it may cause confusion. I hope this helps!
Thank you so much!

lovepreq

Star Member
Jun 6, 2019

Wow thanks for the tips,
Do you know where I can go to develop on my writing skills?

Max003

Star Member
Sep 19, 2017
Wow thanks for the tips,
Do you know where I can go to develop on my writing skills?
Hi, as for writing I solely relied on Chris Pell’s IELTS Advantage website. His techniques are easy to grasp. Furthermore, he did a great job on separating all the essay types with appropriate structure and tone (Agree and Disagree, Advantages and Disadvantages, Discuss both views, Problem and Solution, and Two part question etc.) To view these structures; go to Writing Task 2 on his website (IELTS Advantage) and scroll down until you see “Task 2 Essay structures” Go and have look if you have time. Cheers!

Reactions: lovepreq

nkuzibe

Star Member
Jul 6, 2010

Does IRCC accept general IELTS computer base exams?

Max003

Star Member
Sep 19, 2017
Does IRCC accept general IELTS computer base exams?
Yes, they do accept both paper and computer based tests. In order to book one, you need to go to either IDP or British council website and book the test for your desired date and time. I did the IDP one though.

Ankurpno

May 11, 2019

Hi Max,

I gave my CD IELTS IDP yesterday. In hpw many days should i expect the result. The website says 5-7 days but i want to know from someone who has given the test. Is it 5 or 6 or 7 days?

co2020

May 31, 2020
Can anyone help me understand this situation please.

I am trying to register for IELTS computer delivered test. I have chosen my test time but when I try to choose the speaking time it keeps saying that the speaking slot is not available. Has anyone else experienced this? apparently I cant go forward with the registration without choosing a speaking slot.
I have sent an email to them but I am wondering if anyone went through the same issue and how they may have resolved it.