+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IELTS General/Academic 10th February 2018 Answer Key

Enukorah

Feb 12, 2018
I recall that I answered 35-37 A, A, A.. There was something relevant to childhood experiences..
Hi Bro, questions 36 and 37 were very tricky. The answer to question 35 is A, I believe most people got this. As for Q36, option A is similar to option B, option A says we want more or something, while option B says people are never satisfied, Option C is measure happiness (Not sure). I chose B, and I am not 100% sure of this answer. Question 37, option A relates to childhood experiences, Option B is controlling emotions and Option C is set future goals. Again I am not sure of the answer and I chose B. The speaker started his discussion with our experiences as children, but ended up saying so many other things I didn't grab, most people turned to the next page before he finished speaking...lol.

If you go through the thread, a certain MOG selected A,C,C (PAGE 10) as his answers, while Dr Rizvi selected A,B,B (PAGE 14) as his answers which is same as mine. Dr Rizvi also shared Reading answers.

I am just hoping for a band of 8 in listening. The reading and writing were very much okay.

Engineer87

Feb 12, 2018
Hi Bro, questions 36 and 37 were very tricky. The answer to question 35 is A, I believe most people got this. As for Q36, option A is similar to option B, option A says we want more or something, while option B says people are never satisfied, Option C is measure happiness (Not sure). I chose B, and I am not 100% sure of this answer. Question 37, option A relates to childhood experiences, Option B is controlling emotions and Option C is set future goals. Again I am not sure of the answer and I chose B. The speaker started his discussion with our experiences as children, but ended up saying so many other things I didn't grab, most people turned to the next page before he finished speaking...lol.

If you go through the thread, a certain MOG selected A,C,C (PAGE 10) as his answers, while Dr Rizvi selected A,B,B (PAGE 14) as his answers which is same as mine. Dr Rizvi also shared Reading answers.

I am just hoping for a band of 8 in listening. The reading and writing were very much okay.

I am looking for a band 8 in listening as well. I agree with you regarding Q35 to Q37, cause I had turned the page before he finished. Any idea about Q21 to Q23 as I chose all C C C, and I only heard draft not first draft.. I wonder if both are correct...How about Q11 was it equipment for free or meetings with guests? Q32 how about achieving goals?

Enukorah

Feb 12, 2018
I am looking for a band 8 in listening as well. I agree with you regarding Q35 to Q37, cause I had turned the page before he finished. Any idea about Q21 to Q23 as I chose all C C C, and I only heard draft not first draft.. I wonder if both are correct...How about Q11 was it equipment for free or meetings with guests? Q32 how about achieving goals?
Question 11-14 relates to the description of the benefits and activities of an astronomy club, the answers to the benefits are; they offer discounts and you can invite friends, the answer to the activities are; Display to the public, special camping days. I wrote first draft for question 30. Well, they might both be correct, the marking scheme might be in this form (First) Draft; meaning both answers are correct, I wrote First draft.

Question 21-24 relates to the discussion between a student and her lecturer; the answers are as follows; 21) not enough evidence, 22) examples were not related, 23) info from alternative opinions (Though most students selected how much info to include), and lastly, 24) read by yourself from the reader's point of view. For questions 11-14 and 21-24, I am not sure of the sequence of the options, so I can't speak to C,C,C you selected.

The answer to question 32 is any of these - FAME/SUCCESS/MONEY all three were mentioned and they mean the same thing in the context. You are fine if you wrote any of the options, I am sure they will all be in the marking scheme.

I wish us the best bro......

Engineer87

Feb 12, 2018
Question 11-14 relates to the description of the benefits and activities of an astronomy club, the answers to the benefits are; they offer discounts and you can invite friends, the answer to the activities are; Display to the public, special camping days. I wrote first draft for question 30. Well, they might both be correct, the marking scheme might be in this form (First) Draft; meaning both answers are correct, I wrote First draft.

Question 21-24 relates to the discussion between a student and her lecturer; the answers are as follows; 21) not enough evidence, 22) examples were not related, 23) info from alternative opinions (Though most students selected how much info to include), and lastly, 24) read by yourself from the reader's point of view. For questions 11-14 and 21-24, I am not sure of the sequence of the options, so I can't speak to C,C,C you selected.

The answer to question 32 is any of these - FAME/SUCCESS/MONEY all three were mentioned and they mean the same thing in the context. You are fine if you wrote any of the options, I am sure they will all be in the marking scheme.

I wish us the best bro......

Thank you a lot for your cooperation.. Very kind of you. Good Luck

noman_pe

Apr 11, 2017
WALSHAM

12 NORTH LANE (really one word??) I can't recall. I have never seen a one word instruction in IELTS.

ALTERNATIVE OPINIONS

NEVER SATISFIED
Yes we often see such instructions "Write NO MORE THAN ONE WORD AND/OR A NUMBER for each answer." (see Official RoadtoIELTS Q:1-6 Practice Test.1)
By the way, thanks to handwriting, I wrote it in a way that one can hardly differentiate whether one or two words :)

GOOD LUCK!!!

Feb 13, 2018
HI Folks, those who appeared for exam on 10 feb 2018 and feels that the listening exam was tough for this paper kindly drop a message on facebook to Mr. Alan Gemmell and tell them that this listening was tough as compared to the previous exams. I had written to him and got a call from one of member of british council, they said if we receive more complaints then we will take some action.

So friends those who feel to do so kindly drop a message to Alan Gemmell on facebook. He is director of British Council in India.
Hi Sanjay, as we mentioned in our communication to you over email, IELTS exam is administered in India by two testing partners, the British Council and IDP: IELTS Australia, while a third partner, the University of Cambridge English for Speakers of Other Languages (Cambridge ESOL) is responsible for development of the test

IELTS has a rigorous test design, development and validation processes. These processes ensure that every version of the test is of a comparable level of difficulty, and that every test around the world provides valid and consistent results. Test writers from different English-speaking countries develop IELTS content so it reflects real-life situations around the world and is unbiased and fair to all test takers, whatever their background.

For more details you can refer to the link given below to get a fair idea about the scoring pattern:

https://www.ielts.org/ielts-for-organisations/ielts-scoring-in-detail

For any further queries, you can write to us at examsfeedback@britishcouncil.org

Thanks,
British Council Team

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2018
I wrote to him:

Dear Sir, there is a petition going on in India against IELTS listening test, which was conducted in India on February 10, 2018 (General Training test). I have been asked to share my thoughts with you regarding the difficulty level of the test. From my previous experience, I can easily say this with confidence that the level of difficulty was pretty high compared to the previous tests that has been conducted by IELTS India in recent times. Over the years, I have scored on an average 8.5 bands in listening test. But this time, most students would struggle to get more than 7.5 bands. I request you to look into this matter. We all hope that the sanctity of the test will be kept intact.
Hi Aman, thank you for getting in touch with us. We'd like to inform you that IELTS exam is administered in India by two testing partners, the British Council and IDP: IELTS Australia, while a third partner, the University of Cambridge English for Speakers of Other Languages (Cambridge ESOL) is responsible for development of the test

IELTS has a rigorous test design, development and validation processes. These processes ensure that every version of the test is of a comparable level of difficulty, and that every test around the world provides valid and consistent results. Test writers from different English-speaking countries develop IELTS content so it reflects real-life situations around the world and is unbiased and fair to all test takers, whatever their background.

For more details you can refer to the link given below to get a fair idea about the scoring pattern:

For any further queries, you can write to us at examsfeedback@britishcouncil.org

Thanks,
British Council Team

Last edited:

Kapish222

Star Member
Nov 11, 2017
Its gives me immense pleasure to share with you guys that i have finally cleared ielts for 1st feb after 6 attempts and got the desired score . I would like to thank each and everyone of you.
LRWS - 8.5 , 9, 7, 7

I also gave the 10th feb Exam through BC but now i think I don’t need to wait for the results. Thanks everyone again for all the discussions. Best of luck to everyone

sunny2984

Feb 14, 2018
Hi Aman, thank you for getting in touch with us. We'd like to inform you that IELTS exam is administered in India by two testing partners, the British Council and IDP: IELTS Australia, while a third partner, the University of Cambridge English for Speakers of Other Languages (Cambridge ESOL) is responsible for development of the test

We apologise for the inconvenience.

Thanks,
British Council Team
So it means nothing is going to happen.

Asmasohail

Star Member
Jan 6, 2018
Its gives me immense pleasure to share with you guys that i have finally cleared ielts for 1st feb after 6 attempts and got the desired score . I would like to thank each and everyone of you.
LRWS - 8.5 , 9, 7, 7

I also gave the 10th feb Exam through BC but now i think I don’t need to wait for the results. Thanks everyone again for all the discussions. Best of luck to everyone
Congrats!!!! :)

Reactions: Kapish222